Lancaster ND644 in 32nd scale

So, I have had look at the external parts of the kit and TWO obvious errors.

There is a second dinghy stowage hatch in the PORT wing and also on the starboard wing, underneath so not so obvious, there is a Second set of landing lights.

To eliminate these I have masked and applied some  'Mr. Surfacer'. These will be left for a couple days to cure  . . .

HK-Dinghy-2.jpg

One other item to be eliminated is the trailing aerial outlet on the starboard side just near to the bomb-bay. I have known about this for some time and none of my previous Lancaster builds carry this  . . . 

HK-Queenie-1.jpg

Looked also into the bomb bay racks, they are covered with ejector pins marks. I intend to have the bomb doors open so its inevitable that they will need to be removed 🥴

Bomb-rack.jpg

I'm back to work tomorrow so more progress reports as I get these things done . . .

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

One other item to be eliminated is the trailing aerial outlet on the starboard side just near to the bomb-bay. I have known about this for some time and none of my previous Lancaster builds carry this  . . . 

HK-Queenie-1.jpg

Although this position may be correct for some Lancasters, but agree it won't be correct for your one.

If I were building an early S-Sugar, before the H2S and other antennas were added, it seems the trailing antenna was fixed there.

Edited by hovering
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hovering said:

Although this position may be correct for some Lancasters, but agree it won't be correct for your one.

If I were building an early S-Sugar, before the H2S and other antennas were added, it seems likely the trailing antenna was fixed there.

Agreed. I think an early Sugar was initially a Manchester airframe and I think it was probably on the very early production serial feature.

I have tended to build Lancasters that featured from 1943 onwards for my airfield diorama . . . .

• Like 2

Just a note to say that I have removed the ejector pin marks off the bomb and the undercarriage doors.

Also removed the Flare chute exit molding on the starboard side just behind the bomb bay  . . . 👍 . . .😀

• Like 3

There is no way I’ll ever be able build this, but I’ll tag along and at least then, I can imagine. Good luck.

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Thanks 1

On 02/01/2021 at 18:03, Mancunian airman said:

I am still a brush painter . . . .🥱

Ian

“ you’re going to need a bigger brush” 😉

Only kidding. 😀

What and epic undertaking. I’ll tag along if I may. Always wanted to see one of these kits built. I thought my 1/48 was big. This one is something else. 

Good luck. 

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the front row boys as I begin this journey, advice and suggestions are always welcomed  . . .

In order to get the very best out of the kit, I consider that all the alterations I can find will be done as I see fit.

For example, the inside of the U/C doors are not riveted but its highly unlikely that anybody will be allowed to pick up the model and take a peak :fight:

The front turret is a prominent feature at the front and so to that end I need to remove the Sink marks. I have made up some Sprue glue from the tags removed from the fuselage.

I also spotted that the engine cowlings have a set of square panel lines that I have neither seen on wartime aircraft or post-war, the sprue has been applied  . . .

Front-turret-sprue.jpg

Front-turret-sprued.jpg

HK-engine-panel.jpg

I'll keep looking for more of the smaller jobs  . . . .:surprised:

Thanks for looking in 

Ian

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Mancunian airman said:

Welcome to the front row boys as I begin this journey, advice and suggestions are always welcomed  . . .

In order to get the very best out of the kit, I consider that all the alterations I can find will be done as I see fit.

For example, the inside of the U/C doors are not riveted but its highly unlikely that anybody will be allowed to pick up the model and take a peak :fight:

The front turret is a prominent feature at the front and so to that end I need to remove the Sink marks. I have made up some Sprue glue from the tags removed from the fuselage.

I also spotted that the engine cowlings have a set of square panel lines that I have neither seen on wartime aircraft or post-war, the sprue has been applied  . . .

Front-turret-sprue.jpg

Front-turret-sprued.jpg

HK-engine-panel.jpg

I'll keep looking for more of the smaller jobs  . . . .:surprised:

Thanks for looking in 

Ian

In the second row, following avidly!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

That’s a great pin mark fix. I have never made sprue goo. I need to obvs. 🤩👌

Johnny

HI Johnny

Its probably the best thing cos its obviously the same plastic as the kit and once its dried and sanded its as good as original  . . . 

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

HI Johnny

Its probably the best thing cos its obviously the same plastic as the kit and once its dried and sanded its as good as original  . . . 

Ian

I know, I don’t know why I don’t make it. It makes perfect sense.

I really need to. Thanks for the push. I think I’ll make some for my current builds. 🥳😇 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

. I have made up some Sprue glue

Am I right, that you dissolve some sprue in a solvent, if so, what solvent ? I used to do this, when I worked for a company that made displays of dissected animals etc, to stick the Perspex sheets together, to form a box.

I have just made a start on a BIG job . . .

My Lancaster had no fuselage windows so they need to be filled in.

I dare say most modellers would just put the windows in and smooth they over with some filler . . . 

I prefer to fill them with plasti-card. First thing I did last night was to square off the window to make it easy to inset oblong pieces . . .

HK-Rear-fuselage-3.jpg

and with some measurements added

HK-Rear-fuselage-1.jpg

a total of twenty four windows . . .

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 6

Having seen this kit in the flesh so to speak, I think I might of well tag along.

I would to have the kit in my stash but alas I have not got the room to display it afterwards.

Good luck sir, and may I add some fine looking vehicles too.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

And you are right Simon, its about having fun.

If that means me making the alterations that please me, well I'm on my way  🙃

Thank you for complimenting the vehicles, they had to come first in the build sequence . . .

Ian

• Like 4