Lancaster ND644 in 32nd scale

I pleased to say that the new resin seat from Jersey USA, arrived yesterday and I look forward to installing it into the aircraft quite soon.

I am working extra hours because a colleague is off and I dont really feel like getting stuck in so I shall wait until I have recovered a bit more energy . . .

Resin-pilots-seat-1.jpg

Resin-pilots-seat-2.jpg

Some careful cutting from the base plate will be required  . . . 

back soon 

Ian

• Like 7

Apparently the seat is to small for 32nd scale :surprised:

There is a build of an actual Lancaster Nose only section being built in England and the author of the article has provided measurements of an actual Lancaster seat to confirm the size.

It seems that the original HK kit seat, despite lacking the fine detail, is in fact, nearer to the actual size . . . . :clap:

• Like 1

It's been a couple of weeks since I popped by the Binbrook mess to see what's going on here.

Lovely bomb bay and bombs. And all the other bits. (Obviously). The seat size will be interesting.

First thought was though, does the pilot fit into it?

Now, Off to the bar, Old Boy, though it sounds like you're on Ops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 224 Peter said:

I'm going to take some further measurements on Monday, but I think that 3D printed one is too small. 

More info soon. 

Hi Peter

my set arrived two days ago just as we were moving house and the models are all away in a secure container for 4-5 weeks while the new build house is completed.  I didn't have my Lancaster to hand as a result but as I opened the bag my first thought was the seat was nicely detailed but it looks too small.  I was reserving judgement until I could get hands on with the kit.  Interesting to see the same reaction from others.  I will await the judgement of those who  - unlike me - actually know what a Lanc seat looks like and how big it is !!

Bestest

John

29 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Lovely bomb bay and bombs. And all the other bits. (Obviously). The seat size will be interesting.

Be careful with what you say young man

Last time I said something similar the young lady gave me a right good slap

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...
On 1/17/2021 at 12:25 PM, Mancunian airman said:

The next small change I have attempted are the engine rads that sit at the bottom of the engine and are viewable through front engine intake  . . .

The kit radiator is a post-war type and that type only has two halves ie a single divide, the example on 'Just Jane'

Engine-detail-exposed.jpg

This photo shows the example taken from the film 'Night Bombers'

Wartime-radiator.jpg

My attempts to replicate the 3 section radiator, probably a first for this kit . . . 

I didnt use the part No 3 from the kit and originally the bottom section of the rad was curved as in the wartime photo but It would not fit into the front cowl from the kit so was therefore cut at angles to fit in . . .  

IMG-2318.jpg

IMG-2319.jpg

Moving onto the next mod for this kit  . . . 

Ian

Hi. I am not sure but those 3 section radiators, are those for Packard Merlin?? Rgds: Kari

Kari

Wartime rads had three sections, two for water and a third for the oil. Those commonly seen on such as NX611 and PA474 are post-war types.

If you check out the video called 'Night Bombers' you will see the wartime rad early on as the ground crew are doing an engine change.

I am pleased to see the HK 48th Lancaster rads have been change to the wartime config whereas the 32nd has the post-war types . . . .

Ian

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Kari

Wartime rads had three sections, two for water and a third for the oil. Those commonly seen on such as NX611 and PA474 are post-war types.

If you check out the video called 'Night Bombers' you will see the wartime rad early on as the ground crew are doing an engine change.

I am pleased to see the HK 48th Lancaster rads have been change to the wartime config whereas the 32nd has the post-war types . . . .

Ian

Ian

Thanks for advice.

Kari

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get some small bits done concerning the flight-engineers seat, the kit has the post-war install so it needed to be provided with the wartime version. My apologies for the photos, the camera is not flattening at close pics . . .

The bar from which the seat hung,  

Flight-eng-seat-2.jpg

The seat sat on the said bar, its in the stowed position and was lifted and held it place with a strap. I will paint it when I have completed the support frame 

Flight-eng-seat-3.jpg

How it will look from the outside, it will be in the stowed position as I intend to have the flight engineer stood along side his position

Flight-eng-seat-1.jpg

I also scratched the navigators bench seat that he shared with the bomb-aimer

Nav-bomb-aimer-bench.jpg

I am getting quite close to closing the fuselage, I just need to complete the back end, ammo tracks and the Elsan etc  . ..

more to come as I am back with some mojo :clap:

Ian

• Like 8

Err, navigator's bench seat, shared with the bomb aimer? Ok, now I'm lots confused (a common state, no real surprise). I thought the nav had an individual chair, on a swivel mount. The only 'double' seating area we have (PA474) is the 2 seats at the W/Op position, or the rest bunk down the back. Damn, I'm going to have to start looking things up again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, this is speculation only, but...

The forward guy is forward of the nav table. I've never seen any reference to a bench seat, it doesn't make any sense. It would block the already tight passage to the rear of the aircraft (trust me, as I get older, it gets tighter to squeeze through...).

I reckon the forward guy is sitting on the Flt Eng fold down chair, in its rear most position.

I obviously don't know for certain, it's my best guesstimation!

Either way, it's great to watch this build, best of luck with it!!

• Like 1

Nav sat on a bench, no seat with a back piece or frame . . .

Lancaster-navigators-bench-seat.jpg

Well known lady artist 1944 showing the forward section of the aircraft and the two chaps by the nav table  . . .

HK-Nav-bench-2.jpg

I was also told by a Nav who was shot down in March 1945 that he shared the bench with the bomb-aimer who helped him by monitoring the electronic equipment 

I know this arrangement wasnt in every Lancaster but it was in certain aircraft  . . .. 

Ian

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Nav sat on a bench, no seat with a back piece or frame . . .

Not sure what happened before, but I was going to ask.

Was the bench fixed to the floor ?

Jon

I cant be 100% sure but it would make sense to have it fixed so one could walk along it without it moving (if you were in a rush to get to the front escape hatch . . .)

There was no room under the nav table to push it aside so thats what makes me think it was fixed.

I'm sure somebody will come back and say it couldnt be fixed because you wouldnt be able to get to the winch positions for the bomb-bay ?? Lets hear from them. . .

As Yet, nobody else seems to think that some Lancs had a bench seat so there will probably be a lot of discussion/disagreement about such but I am hoping that the Alarmy photo and the wartime painting plus the Footage farm short film may convince others  . . .

Ian

Thanks for that Jon

I'm almost certain that that particular aircraft did serve during the war and obviously its been restored but I like the fact that there is a bench and not the usual nav seat that swiveled off the upright post  . . . 

Thanks for sharing the link 

Ian

• Like 1