Lancaster ND644 in 32nd scale

8 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Hi Ian, I had a look at the Airscale stuff you are adding to her, looks very nice indeed.

Simon.

I hope I can do it justice, I am not to familiar with PE, have no special tools and even unsure as to the best method for fixing  . . . :pray:

Any guidance would be appreciated :like:

Ian

• Like 1

Not sure how much PE you have but I invested in a bending tool when I did my

lanc build. There were some very long sections that needed some very near creases. It’s super easy to bend everything out of shape. It’s one of those tools that just makes life a lot easier. Also if you have gators grip glue. That I have found is good for PE. I did use super glue on the Lancaster but have found that the longer drying time of GG gives you more wiggle room.

excellent progress by the way, 🙌

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I hope I can do it justice, I am not to familiar with PE, have no special tools and even unsure as to the best method for fixing  . . . :pray:

Any guidance would be appreciated :like:

Ian

Ian. I highly recommend you get a bending jig, they can be expensive, but for accurate bends, I think, vital. As for glue, I use fast set PVA or UV activated glue, as I developed a sensitivity to CA, nasty fumes.

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Another thing that is handy are Diamond coated files for cleaning off any tags.

Ian. Another good tip, diamond file, I have a Tamiya one. And again with the glue, I do use 5 minute epoxy, it really depends on the shape and size of the PE piece you are working on.
https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/accessories/tools/hold-and-fold/

There are probably other sources, but these should give you an idea what’s about.
Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Jon

I shall certainly look into as I have some other PE bits on a certain lorry to finish so it may be worth while investing in a bending frame  . . .

I also have a flat piece of glass, (a cutting board for use in the kitchen) that I use for cutting card etc  . . .

Cheers 

Ian

• Like 3

Meanwhile  . . . 

I have got some paint on some of the equipment around the W/op and navigators positions . . .

HK-Lanc-cockpit-1.jpg

My next thoughts are towards the Airscale parts and how best to tackle them along with some wiring to get the front section looking busy 

thanks for looking in 👍

Ian

• Like 12

Morning Tom

Its my intention to have 'Nan' waiting at dispersal for the crew so there will not be any stowed 'chutes in there.

I do like the detailing on the molded chute in the link although, it looks really good and the pack of four might be a possibility  . . . .

Cheers 

Ian

• Like 2

As part of the vehicles to be included in the diorama, I had this on pre-order before Xmas.

I was notified last Friday and paid the same day and it arrived on Monday.

I shall not build it until after the Lancaster is completed  . . . 

IMG-2385.jpg

NO RAF markings provided but I have my own supply to furnish this in the appropriate marking for the particular Group that the aircraft represents . . . No.1 Group  --  'B/1'

Ian

• Like 5

Good luck with the MWD as I am building the water tank version at the moment and it has been a bit of a slog, lots of big sprue gates, bad seams, parts not fitting

and no locating points on some parts when it comes to gluing parts together.

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

Quite a way in to the build, nearly ready to paint. If you give a heads up when you start I will list a few things to look out for.

Nearly put it on the SOD but spent to much time on it and also it's one of my favourite soft skins, so had been looking forward to the build.

Karl

• Like 1

Little progress is better than No progress and to date I have been doing the Nose section.

I have also been indulging in a GB on this forum, another Lancaster that is now finished . . . G-George

This is HK's second choice of aircraft, W4783

Getting back to the front nose sections . . .

HK-Cockpit-2.jpg

Apart from painting the interiors note also that the navigators small window has gone. Small bits of wiring added and the white square is the beginning of the bomb sight frame holder . . . I plan to add more detail in the nose and of course I have the Airscale panels to fit fairly soon  . .. .

On the port side of the fuselage, there are two Control rods visible between the pilots platform and the navigators table. There are also three pipes visible at a lower level between the same positions.

More to come and thanks for looking in 

Ian :like:

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I have been adding a touch of color to the Airscale Cockpit set, masking it carefully on selected parts  . . . 

Airscale-IP-1.jpg

I have virtually finished adding bits into the nose and cockpit sections as seen above but I am now waiting for the new seat to arrive . . . .

I have also just joined the two parts that make up each fuselage . . .

More to come next week 

Ian

• Like 9

Interesting, nine years gestation and all those shortcomings! You have your work cut out! I'll tag along if you don't mind.

Along with your PE cutting device, I recommend a large polythene bag to work in. Then nothing escapes!

Colin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doing extra hours at work has slowed progress  some what but I have managed a few bits . . .

The bomb-aimers position has had wiring and a new bomb-sight frame added on the port side with wiring and a hydraulic fluid tanks included on the starboard side 

HK-BA-s-position-1.jpg

HK-BA-s-position-2.jpg

I also managed to complete a bomb load. The 4000Ib bomb needs improving with an additional outer 'skin' added to create the front lip seen on these bombs;

I also added a circular disc at the rear of the bomb to hid the joint seam . . .

HK-bomb-4000-Ib.jpg

A couple of photos showing the load

HK-Bomb-load-1.jpg

HK-Bomb-load-2.jpg

The 500Ib-ers were painted using this Still from the film 'Night Bombers', hence the two yellow rings 

HK-Bombs-actual.jpg

I have been notified that my NEW 3D printed pilots seat is now with a Courier, that should be with me in a day or so, which means I shall be able to crack on finishing that area having already painted the Airscale upgrade 

Thanks for looking Ian

• Like 7