Lancaster ND644 in 32nd scale

9 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Welcome Richard

Many thanks for sharing those details.

I would like to think that we can share details so we can ALL improve the look of the Lancaster.

I am surprised that the Control column is so short, I shall start looking at photo again to ascertain the height in comparison to the Instrument flying panel.

I know that the throttle box was on the small side but your photo indicates it extend approx. 16mm ??

From the past, did you ever finish the AEC Coles crane along with the Tempest/Typhoon (?)

Thanks for looking in

best regards

Ian

It is not 16mm, its 8 mm I have highlighted the area and you can see it quite clearly also you can see the steering column is high up.

If you have the Haynes manual on page 60 it shows all the control details there are two shaft systems inside the cover.

V7sWTW.jpg

Wk37mn.jpg

B8jimg.jpg

You ask, did I ever finish the AEC Coles crane and Typhoon :fraidnot: still waiting for my undivided attention.

Regards

Richard 

Some great progress, what a shame about the stb fuselage.  Just a thought, but would it be worth scraping away the horizontal frame work on some of the inside frames and before you glue the parts together add replacements fron plasticard rod that way when you glue together the broken bits together they will act as tabs and you won't lose the details.   For any bits that one be seen use bigger tabs and get the best of both worlds then.

Good luck with the repairs

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh man. That break. 😩 if you are going to remove the internals and add your own that idea would work.

if not and you see those parts you could use thin Plasticard as tabs in between the bars? Worth a shot. Would add strength. Fingers crossed for you sir. 🤞

Johnny

• Thanks 1

So, making a start on the repair of the fuselage . . .

HK-Lanc-Damage-1-A.jpg

I took measurements from the opposite side of the fuselage of the oblong shapes in certain positions, hence the numbers on the tabs. They are just shown in place, fortunate the break is as clean as a flat edge rather than in splinters. I shall initially used Tamiya thin and apply only on the inside face and squeeze together. I shall be taping the two fuselage halves together to ensure that both faces are flush and I dont end up with a slightly bent repaired half  . . ..

Those oblong shapes where there isnt a tab I shall apply HK Sprue glue via the bomb-bay opening and thro' the mid-upper turret aperture.

Here's hoping  . . .  

Ian

• Like 9

Great work Ian! I am finding the HK sprue glue handy as well. I’ve seen Tamiya sprue glue used before, but you have refined it by making it specific to each build by using that build’s sprues. Great idea.

Cheers,  Tom

• Thanks 1

Hi all

Having rubbed back the filler, I started to scribe the fuselage lines in and re-instate the rivets . . . .

HK-Lanc-damaged-repaired-2.jpg

After a few days I applied some paint to determine how the appearance would be . . . apologizes for the photo, its not the clearest but I think you can see that its acceptable  . . . 

HK-Lanc-damage-painted.jpg

Whilst waiting to sort the fuselage out I put together the tail-planes. I have seen a method of introducing 'canning' on the outer skins of an aircraft and the examples used that I saw were tin foil and Mr. Surfacer.

I thought I would try 'thick' paint to suggest a slight buckle in the skin surface . . . .

HK-Lanc-Canning-2.jpg

(Ignore G-George in the background)

HK-Lanc-Canning-3.jpg

. . . and finally with camouflage on the tail-planes

HK-Lanc-tailplanes.jpg

Down at low-level you can see that the surface isnt totally flat, I think I may well try and refine this ploy for the main wings when I come to build them.

Thanks for looking in, I shall be moving onto the cockpit interior next using the AM upgrade from Airscale.

Ian

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

‘Canning’ now that’s something I’ve never heard of before - every day’s a school day? Looking good buddy 👍

Iain

I hadn't heard of it either but wasn't brave enough to admit it and just wanted to sound as though I knew what I was talking about, which isn't much when talking about aircraft !!!

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, uncarina said:

Ian,

Great work on salvaging the fuselage, and I like your approach to oilcanning--a lot quicker than carving out plastic!

Cheers,  Tom

Thats what I was thinking Tom

having not previously done any 'canning' especially on the smaller scale, I didnt want to start carving out plastic and make a bodge of it hence I thought I would try the 'thick' paint which I slightly sanded down . . .

It may look slightly better on the main wings with the larger area and perhaps more noticeable, but thought it worth a try. 

I certainly haven't seen anybody else try it with paint . . . . its known as the 'Reidling effect' :giggle:

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 3