Lancaster ND644 in 32nd scale

Ian, You're putting some very nice detailing and thought into this one. 

As far as I remember, Just Jane has Shackleton main gear fitted. The originals having been removed for use on PA474.

This was back when Jane was siting out by Scampton's main gate. It may be that WW2 Lancasters didn't use ground locks.

That complicated bit just above the ground lock rod should be a 'knuckle' or over centre joint that can only undo when the weight is off.

I'm not too much of a Lancaster expert (much as I love them) but that is how other Aircraft work.

Also, I have it in the back of my mind that the bigger radiator cowls are the same as a York? Again, I could be wrong.

Can you just mount the engine sump in the nacelle and hang the radiator from it?

And, The supercharger moulding would look great on one of my Maschinen Kreiger builds! :laugh:

BTW, I live at Hemswell. The home of the Night Bombers film.

Adding to what @Pete in Lincs said about the radiators ‘611 would appear to have the deeper intakes like ‘474. The latter was built for Far East operations and tropical heat hence the larger radiators. Not sure if the MK.VII’s were built with this in mind but given its area of ops with the French, maybe a retrofit?

Trevor

• Like 1

Another error in the kit that could have been avoided if better care had been taken when doing the research . . 

The tailplanes: are probably best described on Nigels Modelling bench, I think the only video that is still available,

He states that he was not the one to discover the issue but he certainly was the one to rectify it so all credit to Nige.

Basically HK molded the same two tailplanes Isometrically, there are two top pieces that fit on the port side, creating a top and bottom, which glue together and two bottom pieces that fit the starb'd side in the same manner.

I have now carried out the modification . . . 

HK-Tailplane-construct-1.jpg

HK-Tailplane-construct-2.jpg

You can see the part numbers listed above  on the instruction sheet but when you alter the pieces you end up with the parts allocated thus . . . 

HK-Tailplane-construction-4.jpg

You will note the part numbers . . . differing from the instruction sheet

. . . and finally we have a tailplane where there are inspection panels beneath both the starboard and port tailplanes

HK-Tailplane-construction-3.jpg

I hope that its all as clear as mud  . . .

till the next time 

cheers 

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Can you just mount the engine sump in the nacelle and hang the radiator from it?

And, The supercharger moulding would look great on one of my Maschinen Kreiger builds! :laugh:

BTW, I live at Hemswell. The home of the Night Bombers film.

Pete 

thanks for your response and kind words  . . .

I dont know about Shackleton undercarriage but I think your right about the radiator being the same type on the York.

I would agree about trying to mount just the bottom section to hang the radiator, fingers or is that brushes crossed . . . 🤞

Ian

• Like 1

Ian,

I managed to figure out how to omit the engine from the nacelle. I'll use the starboard outer as an example. The only engine components you'll need are:

1) Y15 propeller shaft. Attach this to K43 the nacelle front.

2) Y4 forward radiator face. Attach this to H8 the lower cowling. This will be the trickiest part to line up, but I'd suggest adding styrene spacers to help.

3) K11 firewall. Attach this to G11 and G12 the rear nacelle halves. This will be critical to help line up the cowling sections.

I assembled everything and the fit was surprisingly good. One last thing: be sure to attach K47 to the inside of the wing corresponding to the outer nacelle. It really helps flex the wing into position, making it easier to get a better fit for the wingtip.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,  Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I intend to have my rear entry door open -  it only seems right to have the step correct  . . . its only a small issue but needs correcting

First pic shows the kit step and in particular the shape, I have seen this in 'Just Jane', NX611

HK-rear-Step-2.jpg

Quick fix . . . 

HK-rear-Step-1.jpg

. . . and the fact that I shall have the crew ladder in place will only draw attention to the entrance :hmmm:

Ian

• Like 5

15 hours ago, uncarina said:

Ian,

I managed to figure out how to omit the engine from the nacelle. I'll use the starboard outer as an example. The only engine components you'll need are:

1) Y15 propeller shaft. Attach this to K43 the nacelle front.

2) Y4 forward radiator face. Attach this to H8 the lower cowling. This will be the trickiest part to line up, but I'd suggest adding styrene spacers to help.

3) K11 firewall. Attach this to G11 and G12 the rear nacelle halves. This will be critical to help line up the cowling sections.

I assembled everything and the fit was surprisingly good. One last thing: be sure to attach K47 to the inside of the wing corresponding to the outer nacelle. It really helps flex the wing into position, making it easier to get a better fit for the wingtip.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,  Tom

Tom 

It sounds easy enough but pics always help.

You get a propeller shaft hub on the fret Z along with the dummy exhaust fittings . . . 

I have a note concerning placing K47 before making up the wing(s)

cheers

Ian

Well its a fine sunny morning in my part of England, no snow as seen in other parts  . . .

Having rubber down the fuselage windows I thought I would spray some primer onto see if there are any flaws 

:yikes:                              :yikes:                          :yikes:

HK-Lanc-Damage-1.jpg      

A gust of wind blew it from the shelf . . . . :weep:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 13

I wonder if someone could donor a replacement fuselage half if they used the clear one for their build or have a clear one going spare thats was not used?  I am assuming the clear sprue and part was the same as the normal part???

Thats such a pain.  Surprised it broke on a fall too??  Just really unlucky or a weak part to watch out for ??

• Like 1

That's terrible. It might be repairable with some tabs on the inside, though that means losing some detail.

And once the two fuselage halves are together the strength should be okay. The outer surface would take some work though.

I have my fingers crossed that a donor part can be found.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Well its a fine sunny morning in my part of England, no snow as seen in other parts  . . .

Having rubber down the fuselage windows I thought I would spray some primer onto see if there are any flaws 

:yikes:                              :yikes:                          :yikes:

HK-Lanc-Damage-1.jpg      

A gust of wind blew it from the shelf . . . . :weep:

Hi Ian,

Wow, that's pretty bad! Of course, you can have my spare clear fuselage parts if you like, PM me your address and I'll pop both halves in the post. 

Best, 

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thats very good of you to offer Pete but I also have the clear parts . . .

As you and I know, the clear parts dont have any external detail so as to allow a CLEAR view of the internals for those wishing to model such . . . 

Ian

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

I wonder if someone could donor a replacement fuselage half if they used the clear one for their build or have a clear one going spare thats was not used?  I am assuming the clear sprue and part was the same as the normal part???

Thats such a pain.  Surprised it broke on a fall too??  Just really unlucky or a weak part to watch out for ??

John

I shall have to consider the next step, the clear parts have no detail externally

I was a bit surprised that only one half fell off,  the other half sat there  . . .

Ian

3 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

John

I shall have to consider the next step, the clear parts have no detail externally

I was a bit surprised that only one half fell off,  the other half sat there  . . .

Ian

That’s a pity Ian as I thought that might be a quick solution. Someone out there must have, or be planning, a Lanc with the starboard side in clear and have a gash regular fuselage half going spare. 

• Like 1

Ow!

Maybe HK will send a replacement half if you ask nicely. Otherwise it’s a ruddy great reinforcing tab on the inside.

I find it puzzling that HK went to the bother of having two bespoke starboard side moulds though.

Trevor

• Like 1

If the plastic just snapped without deformation then a fairly simple fix I would have thought, and not much in the way of detail to repair? A little rescribing or is there more that isn’t clear in the photo?

Mark

You are right in that its a clean break . . . 

I shall consider what the next step will be in a few days

Trevor

I believe that HK have a non-existent supply store/ customer care system for spare parts 

Steve

I'm not down yet . . . . 

John

I can be hopeful but I shall have to consider what might be the best way forward . . . 

thanks gents

Ian

• Like 2

Hi Ian sorry to see the broken fuse, hope you work out a solution, will be looking forward to your updates

Been playing about with my HK Lancaster as well and found a couple more items to fix, 

Have worked out the height of the pilot platform to be 15mm 

1) Change the Throttles/Constant speed unit controls column diameter where levers go, the kit diameter part is way off and I have figured the angle out to be 11.5 deg  +/-

2) Control column is short by 5.5mm 

q2a50X.jpg

gmOc7A.jpg

H6CbQP.jpg

79JyLn.jpg

nlu1Lo.jpg

Hope this helps 

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Welcome Richard

Many thanks for sharing those details.

I would like to think that we can share details so we can ALL improve the look of the Lancaster.

I am surprised that the Control column is so short, I shall start looking at photo again to ascertain the height in comparison to the Instrument flying panel.

I know that the throttle box was on the small side but your photo indicates it extend approx. 16mm ??

From the past, did you ever finish the AEC Coles crane along with the Tempest/Typhoon (?)

Thanks for looking in

best regards

Ian

23 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

A gust of wind blew it from the shelf . .

If that was mine, I’d attach it to the other half of the fuselage, with PVA. Then use thin adhesive in the break. Nothing to loose really.

• Like 2