Lancaster ND644 in 32nd scale

Tom

You can clearly see the 'hole' in the LG whereas the  'Non-retracting bar' I have highlighted with a single RED line.

Two separate issues although in theory you could leave the NR -bar but as I said previously, I dont think I have ever seen it on a wartime aircraft . . . 

Ian

Ian, ah yes, now that I go back I see it now. I should post AFTER my morning coffee. So what is the hole for? It looks like something is supposed to attach to it from it’s keyed shape. BTW, I was also planning to remove the non-retracting bar. 

Cheers,  Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom

Does that U/C set come as shown or do you have to construct the whole thing from many parts do you know ??

Its quite expensive, but nice however, I have not heard of many modellers saying that the u/c is fragile and likely to break  . . . .

Has anybody had experience using Brass U/C set for their aeroplanes ??

Ian

Ian,

All of the component parts appear in the first photo on the link. I do have experience using brass sets (white metal as well, which is more fragile for this application--see SAC U/C sets). Like white metal you will have a seam to clean up with a file, but the Aerocraft sets have impressive detail. I have their set for the 1/32 Bronco, and for that aircraft I think the purchase is worth it. I haven't read any complaints about the HK U/C, and my thinking was that when I get to the stage and I'm not happy, I would spring for the purchase. Hope this helps!

Tom

• Thanks 1

Another small alteration that is personal choice.

The bottom flap for the engines radiator can be in the lower position and all is well as the model sits on the 'ground'. From the rear though , as on the real aircraft, you can look up into the rad position and see the rad itself . . .

Here is my working off this, I will put some a couple rods (hydraulic rams) in there when I come to fix the flaps . . . 

HK-Lanc-rad-vents.jpg

• Like 10

I am STILL trying to work out how to mount the radiator(s) in those engines nacelles with no engine ?? :wall:

There doesnt appear to be a slot/location for it to sit in at the base of the cowling (?) rather that it has two pins that push into the bottom of the said engine  . . . . :mental:

HK provide some dummy fittings for the exhausts but I guess they overlooked the radiator fixture  . . .

HK-Radiators-fixing-2.jpg

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 2

Ian, the 'non retracting bars' are the undercarriage ground locks, when removed they live in cylindrical storage holes in the tail interior. I'd never thought about it, but after a few minutes of hunting, no, I can't see any wartime pics of them in situ, bizarre.

• Thanks 1

The next small change I have attempted are the engine rads that sit at the bottom of the engine and are viewable through front engine intake  . . .

The kit radiator is a post-war type and that type only has two halves ie a single divide, the example on 'Just Jane'

Engine-detail-exposed.jpg

This photo shows the example taken from the film 'Night Bombers'

Wartime-radiator.jpg

My attempts to replicate the 3 section radiator, probably a first for this kit . . . 

I didnt use the part No 3 from the kit and originally the bottom section of the rad was curved as in the wartime photo but It would not fit into the front cowl from the kit so was therefore cut at angles to fit in . . .  

IMG-2318.jpg

IMG-2319.jpg

Moving onto the next mod for this kit  . . . 

Ian

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, isaneng said:

Ian, the 'non retracting bars' are the undercarriage ground locks, when removed they live in cylindrical storage holes in the tail interior. I'd never thought about it, but after a few minutes of hunting, no, I can't see any wartime pics of them in situ, bizarre.

Thank you for the correct terminology Rick.

I wasnt sure the exact name but I am aware that once in place they prevented the U/c from being retracted.

A question if I may Rick, Are the main engine radiators silver in appearance or black ?? just want to paint mine up correctly.

Many thanks to you for providing a series of photos of PA474, they will be studied at length in a bid to produce the most accurate model of the Lancaster I can 

rgds

Ian 

• Like 2

Ian, ours are silver, but are also the late war version. It has two cores, the forward one holds glycol based coolant, the aft section holds engine oil. I'm away from my books for a while, but I'm presuming the 3 core version you are replicating is 3 cores, side by side, rather than our fwd/aft set up, so, to be honest, I'd be guessing, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ian there was also talk of the front cowl being too large for a war time Lanc as supposedly it was a bit narrower for the 3 core rads? I think the wingnutwings kit had the 2 radiators and different cowls but I don't know if that was ever proven.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 10:21 AM, Mancunian airman said:

Another small alteration that is personal choice.

The bottom flap for the engines radiator can be in the lower position and all is well as the model sits on the 'ground'. From the rear though , as on the real aircraft, you can look up into the rad position and see the rad itself . . .

Here is my working off this, I will put some a couple rods (hydraulic rams) in there when I come to fix the flaps . . . 

HK-Lanc-rad-vents.jpg

I did something very similar. The net result was slightly underwhelming, in that you don't really ever see what is going on unless you pick it up.. Which I don't! 

The undercarriage is plenty strong enough. 

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Ian there was also talk of the front cowl being too large for a war time Lanc as supposedly it was a bit narrower for the 3 core rads? I think the wingnutwings kit had the 2 radiators and different cowls but I don't know if that was ever proven.

A lot of these issues came to light when WNW showed us their potential Lancaster . . .

As I may have mentioned previously, where do you draw the line with correcting the many errors on the HK kit ??

Like many modellers who have built this kit and those that will in the future, we have to accept that some things cant be put right . . . 

Thanks for pointing it out Graham as I'm sure many didnt know that there was even an issue . . . 

Ian

36 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

I did something very similar. The net result was slightly underwhelming, in that you don't really ever see what is going on unless you pick it up.. Which I don't! 

The undercarriage is plenty strong enough. 

Mike

Mike

I understand what you are saying, I too consider the U/C to be sufficiently strong but regards to the back of the radiator flap, the opportunity was there to do the mod so I did  . . .

Thanks for your comments and looking in, if you have anymore observations about any other issues I would like to hear, as I'm sure others would

cheers 

Ian

On 1/10/2021 at 7:32 AM, The Spadgent said:

Oh hell yes I’d totally forgotten. Alain forgive me. 😇.

J

Alas Spitfire corner is no more, it was moved a couple of weeks ago and the site is looking very forlorn for itself now, sad really I used to like sitting there during one of my breaks.

Iain

On 18/01/2021 at 09:11, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Alas Spitfire corner is no more, it was moved a couple of weeks ago and the site is looking very forlorn for itself now, sad really I used to like sitting there during one of my breaks.

Iain

Oh no. Such a shame. The piece of Merlin was in my 1/24 Hurricane. It will always stick with me, Slamming on the breaks and doing a U-Turn after seeing a spitfire in my rear view that day.

CC sent me parts of a Lancaster  he helped uncover to put in the belly of the PA474 build. 

@Mancunian airman Wonderful progress dear sir. This is going to be spectacular. 👏👏👏👏

Johnny

• Thanks 1

Thanks for looking in Johnny.

Rick, isaneng, has been very good to send me his album of photos that cover PA474, an invaluable resource, to have the details of the Lancaster despite it being a late production aircraft.

I cant sing his praises enough.

More of the build to come a bit later  . . .

Ian

• Like 1

The result of applying HK Sprue glue to the undercarriage legs . . .

In last Fridays post you can see the photo of the 'holes' in the main U/C legs which on the real aircraft are solid so they had to be filled 

HK-Undercarriage.jpg

HK-Undercarriage-filled.jpg

More to come I'm pleased to say  . . .

Ian

• Like 4