Lancaster ND644 in 32nd scale

On 1/6/2021 at 2:00 PM, Spookytooth said:

Having seen this kit in the flesh so to speak, I think I might of well tag along.

I would to have the kit in my stash but alas I have not got the room to display it afterwards.

Good luck sir, and may I add some fine looking vehicles too.

Simon.

I built-up mine into a coffee table, allowing it to be sited in the middle of the living room but without complaints from my partner. It took 18 months, no breaks, just a few hours each week. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

I built-up mine into a coffee table, allowing it to be sited in the middle of the living room but without complaints from my partner. It took 18 months, no breaks, just a few hours each week. 

My good lady supports the hobby completely bu sadly our flat is to small.

And to make things funnier I have the 1/24 Mossie and Tiffie to build (I/we got them before we moved)

Simon.

• Like 4

Walls, that's the answer! I have the Mossie hung on the wall, with a mirror underneath to show off the bomb bay and cannons. But as I get older, the slowly growing collection is a cause for concern! 

• Like 3

Yeah I got plenty of wall space but I just wonder about the dreaded DUST  . .  .:crying:

Somebody once said to me about leaving canopies open and the occasion cockpit window, in time dust will creep in and spoil whats ever contained within . . . :hmmm:

to which I replied, I dont think I've ever had a model survive that long to notice the effect of the ingress of dust  :rofl2:

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

While waiting for Mr. Surfacer to dry through I cracked on with a few other small jobs  . . .

Decided to put down a riveted floor . . . 

HK-Riveted-floor.jpg

ND644 carried a No.1 Group gas circle on her nose so  . . . 

HK-Nan-Gas-Patch.jpg

HK-Nans-Gas-Patch-2.jpg

and finally I modified the pilots seat  . . .

HK-Pilots-seat-modified.jpg

its time to go out so more next week

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 11

Great progress. Those seats look impressive. I added a whole bunch of stuff inside mine, maps etc. If I recall I had a pin up too. I know @corsaircorp is a big fan of doing this. Are you going to indulge in some internal goodness? At this scale it would look amazing. 
No pressure mind, just wishful thinking. 😍

Johnny

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Great progress. Those seats look impressive. I added a whole bunch of stuff inside mine, maps etc. If I recall I had a pin up too. I know @corsaircorp is a big fan of doing this. Are you going to indulge in some internal goodness? At this scale it would look amazing. 
No pressure mind, just wishful thinking. 😍

Johnny

And bits of the real thing...

CC

• Like 1

Thank you for all the kind comments, it does help . . . 

Johnny: I never considered putting a poster in there, I dont have a printer so perhaps I ought to look in some advertising mags or website for such 

Chris: Having removed the floor its quite easy to place a piece of 20 thou plasti-card on there with a few rivets.

The seat conversion (?) was only four cuts either side so not quite so daunting as I thought it would be  . . .

The W/op.'s seat I distressed a little with a dremel, this kite has done over 100 sorties so there will be some wear 'n' tear . . . .

Thanks for looking in chaps

Ian

• Like 2

Hello Ian,

That's a project !! 

This HK Lanc is a beast for sure !!

I'll follow if you don't mind it. 

I took the liberty to call @BS103 Since he is about to buy one...

He's toying with a 1/48 Lincoln and a 1/48 Stirling at the moment.

Great correction work !! Congrats !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Welcome  CC to the 'collection' of fellow Lancaster enthusiast builders !

Progress may be slow at times but its an exciting time for me to deliver the best aircraft I can . . .

Any advice or suggestions are always invited :clap:

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I looked at the engines and their construction.

I only anticipate building One to show it off and considered it for display in the diorama setting  . . .

The engine assembly is quite straight forward but as I said I only want one complete engine but there is a short cut that is not illustrated in the Instruction booklet.

Here is the almost final assembly where you add the individual exhaust onto/into the engine block . . . 

HK-Engine-build.jpg

As mentioned, there is a short cut if you dont want to build ALL the engines and I cannot understand why the instructions dont even offer the alternative ? here is the sprue required  . . .

HK-Sprue-X.jpg

The two long box items at the bottom have three tabs that slot into the back off the engine cowling so you can then just add the individual exhausts  . . .

Here are my sets painted up, you only need to paint inside the box  . . .

HK-Engine-exhaust.jpg

Another reason for assembling these 'false' exhaust outlet is because, in my opinion, the exhaust  shrouds, are way to large and to that end, once the exhausts are fitted I will be able to see just how far they extrude from the engine cowling.  Only then will I be able to cut the shroud(s) down to size.

Have a look at a number of those already built, they stick out to far then look at an actual aircraft, the difference IS noticeable.

• Like 5

Evening all . ..

I have managed to assemble the mock-up exhausts with the cowling cover, I dont think they look to bad  . . .

There are three points to which the box of exhaust stubs fixes inside the engine cowling A  goes into Aa and B is the centre fixing point.

HK-exhaust-mock-ups-2.jpg

Next up will be to make the fourth engine position to display an engine  . . .

• Like 7

Last night I was busy re-sizing the exhaust shrouds and placing fixing brackets to fit on the cowlings.

Drying overnight, I cut them so they look more appropriate for fixing . . . .

First photo shows the actual 4 tabs for fixing the shrouds 

HK-Engine-shrouds-7.jpg

Making up the brackets

HK-Engine-shrouds-3.jpg

HK-Engine-shrouds-1.jpg

In situ on the kits cowling  . . .

HK-Engine-shrouds-2.jpg

another little modification to improve the appearance 

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 11

keep up the good work.  I just got the nose art kit and was a bit shocked by the size of the fuselage, I’ve built only 1/72 kits for years. 
Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Thank You Brian

I too was a prolific 72nd builder until I gradually move to the odd 48th  . . . Space is always a consideration

I am still building a 72nd airfield and have about a dozen Lancasters for that diorama so I couldn't really miss the opportunity to build this big one.

My opportunity to pay my respect to the men and women that flew and maintained this wonderful aircraft . . .

Good luck with your build

Ian

• Like 3

Hi Ian, 

Looks fantastic so far, really looking forward to your build. The rate you're going you'll be finished way before me! If (when??) I do another one, I'll fit the top bits of the pilot's seat at the last moment before I put on the canopy; the armour plating and its supports stand proud of the fuselage and are really fragile and susceptible to being knocked off. Same goes for the bombsight. Wish I'd known about the workaround for the engines, I ended up building and painting all four!! I didn't investigate the extra sprues properly and assumed they were different exhausts for a later version/boxing!

Good luck!

Peter

• Thanks 1

Thanks Peter

I have looked in on your build and had wondered if you had stalled ??

I did find it strange that HK make no reference to the additional Sprue so unless you are aware then I suppose you would build ALL four engines . . .

I bet yours look good Peter 

I too will wait to close up the fuselage before placing the armour on the back of the pilots seat because as I understand it, it too is on the small size.  

I will then be able to get a proper measure/look to see how much taller it needs to be ??.

I have reduced the height of the pilots platform so again, closing the fuselage will give me a better judgement for the height  . . .

cheers all

Ian

As previously mentioned on the first page, two defects on the wings, the Port upper side had a second Dinghy stowage hatch and the starboard underside has landing lights . . . 

HK-Dinghy-2.jpg

After applying Mr. Surfacer some weeks ago I have now eliminated both issues and hopefully you will be able to see the results as I hold the pieces in the correct light to photograph them  . . . 

Dinghy stowage hatch, Port top side

HK-Dinghy-Wing.jpg

2nd Landing lights, Starboard bottom side

HK-Star-landing-lights.jpg

The next thing that wants attention are the undercarriage legs. In the photo you can see the 'hole' in the vertical strut. It would probably support the kit no problem but there shouldn't be such a hole therefore I shall be sinking some sprue glue in there to make good. Also, the 'Non-retracting bar needs removing for I have not seen any photos of this in place on a wartime aircraft, I suspect its used on todays flying examples  . . .

HK-Undercarriage.jpg

More to come . . . til then, best regards

Ian

• Like 5

Great work correcting the wing issues Ian! Getting the lines and rivets to match the adjacent areas isn’t easy, but they look seamless. For the LG strut hole that you are filling, was that for the non-retracting bar?

Cheers,  Tom

• Thanks 1