Amiot 143 (Heller 1/72)

Looks like I'm in with the second RFI of 2021, fresh from the Heller GB!

I've started 2021 by finally finishing the build of the kit that first brought me to Heller, the frankly quite sexy Amiot 143 first issued in 1966, three years before I was born.

Here it's in the stealthy colours of the 2nd squadron of Bomber Group i/38, based in Istres in September 1940, one of the three options in the most recent "Musée" boxing.

It's been a very enjoyable build. A lot of the time went into the scratch built (though rather rudimentary) interior, which is mostly invisible of course (the kit lacks any interior at all, it just has a large and well lit void). The only other modification was to the wheels which on this airframe lacked the distinctive fairings, something that appears typical of the type this late in its operational history.

For the first time I had a go at an oil wash to try to mute everything down a bit (without it the decals looked ridiculously bright), it was a bit hit and miss and I caused some problems for myself by spraying enamel varnish onto a coat of Klear, even now it's tacky to the touch in places. The underside looks a bit scruffy. There should be a pair of lights in the leading wing edges, they're very vaguely hinted at by the raised detail, I decided I could live without them and for that matter the pilot lights, which are firmly into "can't be bothered" territory.

Build thread here if you're interested:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony,

a great rendition of the only French plane built with axes!

The streamlining is a pleasure to behold.

Congrats on building a lovely model of a deceptively difficult kit!

Super well done!

And a Happy New Year!

JR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, jean said:

Congrats on building a lovely model of a deceptively difficult kit!

Thanks. It had its moments, but generally I found it ok. Possibly because I was taking an absolute kicking from a LéO 451 at the same time.

Tony, it looks great!   By great coincidence, I was going to put my Amiot photos up - I finished the model a month ago!   I have a second under construction and will likely adapt a version of your paint scheme.    I will post over weekend.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, S. Uehlinger said:

By great coincidence, I was going to put my Amiot photos up - I finished the model a month ago!   I have a second under construction and will likely adapt a version of your paint scheme.    I will post over weekend.....

I look forward to it!

7 minutes ago, IanC said:

Excellent. I always think this one looked like something out of Jules Vernes! 

It certainly has something a bit steampunk about it!

• 2 weeks later...