Ilyushin Il2m3 Sturmovik - Eduard 1/72 - Last build of the year!

My last build of the year pushed me to 12 completed kits, the best I've managed since becoming a dad :) So at least some good came out of 2020.

50780544797_80ff8692a6_b.jpg

This is one of Eduard's earlier kits in 1/72, when they were still very much a short run company. This shows primarily in the fit of the wing to fuselage, which leaves a massive gap and took a while to remediate. The surface detail is a bit soft and after priming needed some rescribing to bring back to life. The single canopy (the kit also comes with separate sections of glass to pose it open) is a bit wide and caused me some anxiety when I had to clamp it down to get it to fit but all was well here in the end.

50780544677_61b3c26717_b.jpg

For painting I decided to try the blu-tac method again to get slightly soft demarcations and I was quite happy with the result here. I did some preshading and decided not to do a panel line wash on the full model, only the control surfaces. Glazing was masked with the help of Eduard's own masking set. Love these things, if only they weren't so bloody expensive. This one almost cost as much as the kit itself if I recall. Paint was Gunze for the top colors, AKAN blue on the underside. I applied this last as it doesn't like masking as I found on a previous build.

50780437656_178408ce28_b.jpg

I replaced all the gun barrels, antenna and pitot with various types of Albion Alloys tubing. This stuff is essential for me, such an improvement over solid plastic items. I used a Little Cars Lens for the landing light. Also essential.

50780437341_1ef2060e86_b.jpg

So there it is, something a little bit different from what I usually build, quite colorful really. I really recommend this kit, it takes a bit of work but the result is fine. Not as good surely as the Tamiya kit but then you can get four of these for the price of one of those and still have spare change for a cup of coffee.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 31

Wow, this is a great end result for this kit! I built this one a few years back and had the same issue with the wing to fuselage joint. Yours looks much, much nicer! Top job :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Outstanding  model! It could easily pass for the Tamiya kit. I really like your choice of colors and markings, both of which you have nailed! :like:

Mike

Thanks! To be fair, the markings are Eduard’s choice and they only provide one option but it is a good one. 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:24 PM, sroubos said:

Not as good surely as the Tamiya kit but then you can get four of these for the price of one of those and still have spare change for a cup of coffee.

Or enough change for a set of canopy masks (yep, essential), a set of photo etch and a few paints.  Mine is still in the stash and, if it ever gets built, it will never look as good as that.

• Like 1