AZ Models Bf 109G-14/AS in 1/72

Hello everyone.

Another year, another Messerschmitt... This is the new-tool Bf 109G-14/AS by AZ Models. A kit which gave me a few problems, not least confusion over the specific features for this particular variant. The instructions tell you to attach the large wing bulges for the wider wheels, whereas the artwork and painting instructions show the earlier wing arrangement. Having carried out a bit of research (too late) I think I may have got it wrong, so this could be something of a hybrid!     

I changed the markings to depict 'Red 2' of 2./JG 300 in 1945, with the later blue-white-blue RVT band. Parts of the undersurfaces were left in bare metal as was fairly common in the final months of production. 

Best wishes, and a much Happier New Year to all!

Ian

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 41

18 minutes ago, IanC said:

A kit which gave me a few problems, not least confusion over the specific features for this particular variant. The instructions tell you to attach the large wing bulges for the wider wheels, whereas the artwork and painting instructions show the earlier wing arrangement.

Great choice of subject, the late-war 109s are my favorite!

I agree on the sometimes confusing instructions - it pays off to do some research on your own (given you can find an original photo!).

The good thing about the 'new tool 2020' 109s is the improved fit of cockpit-fuselage and wing-fuselage.

I have one of these on my workbench at the moment, hope mine will turn out as good ... !

4 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Great choice of subject, the late-war 109s are my favorite!

I agree on the sometimes confusing instructions - it pays off to do some research on your own (given you can find an original photo!).

The good thing about the 'new tool 2020' 109s is the improved fit of cockpit-fuselage and wing-fuselage.

I have one of these on my workbench at the moment, hope mine will turn out as good ... !

Thanks Roman! Your superb 1/72 Bf 109s have inspired me to build a few of the AZ kits, despite their problems. I look forward to seeing what you do with this one.

Ps. I see from the Mushroom Model Publications 'Bf 109 Late Versions' that there is evidence that some G-14/AS's had the large wing bulges (similar to the G-10/K), so I may have got away with it. 🙂

2 minutes ago, IanC said:

I see from the Mushroom Model Publications 'Bf 109 Late Versions' publication that there is evidence that some G-14/AS's had the large wing bulges (similar to the G-10/K), so I may have got away with it. 🙂

Absolutely correct - the Bf-109 G14/AS I'm building has the larger wing bulges and tyres.

• Like 1

Great build and it's already been said that it could be 1/48th scale! I have several AZ I want to build but I haven't been able to get one into the bench yet. Your build and excellent finish has given me the inspiration to get one started.

Thanks for posting!

• Thanks 1

Well, that turned out very nice indeed! Lovely 109, one of my favourite variants. I like your choice of colourful markings.

I recently placed an order with the big H and passed up getting one of these due to some lingering concerns over shape. But now seeing yours, I wish I bought it!

Would you be able to do me a quick favour? Can you take a picture of yours in flat side view (as close as you can get it)?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Would you be able to do me a quick favour? Can you take a picture of yours in flat side view (as close as you can get it)?

Certainly:

spacer.png

All the best,

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1