BERGEPANTHER Sd.Kfz 179 Built By Demag - Feb to Dec 1944

On 1/1/2021 at 6:28 PM, Harry Callahan said:

Yes what i said in W.I.P. report, simply perfect, it looks fantastic

Cheers Harry......hard slog to do, and was glad to finish.....

On 1/2/2021 at 5:36 AM, Ernst said:

Superb, all this colour variation. Top notch.

Cheers,

Ernst.

Thanks Ernst....I was concerned at first in doing it a monotone with no camo'....but in the end the shades of Dunkelgelb came out OK and the pre-shading did it's job.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:13 AM, supersonic said:

Masterclass!

Cheers .......:yes:

21 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Outstanding work Simon!

There is a lot to take in with this build. I will need to go and have a look through your build log where I'm sure there will be a few ideas and techniques that I can pinch from you. :clap:

Wayne

Thanks Wayne.....if there's anything in detail from the WIP you want to know, don't hesitate to message me.

19 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Like i need to say this but............................ absolutely gorgeous in every way. :goodjob:

Cheers Steve......appreciate you taking a look.....:yes:

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

Top notch work, Simon !!

Looking forward to your Pz III GB entry ;)

Thanks Lee  :yes:....unfortunately I don't have any Pz III in the stash, not even a Stug.....I burnt my purchase budget on a KT by Takom......

VyaQVzj.jpg

D3EcZui.jpg

I'm going to do a diorama of it in Berlin....either in use or abandoned......I picked up the Panzers In Berlin by Panzerwrecks for some reference.....well, that's the plan anyway...:think:

2 hours ago, DAG058 said:

That is amazing! And thanks for the great WiP too. 

Cheers DAG......I wish sometimes I had a better photo taking ability, it would be nice to take some shots of some of the techniques if you wanted to them in more detail......maybe I'll try this year sometime..

On 1/3/2021 at 1:18 AM, gmoss said:

Wow - very nice indeed.

Many thanks for that mate.......:yes:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Lee  :yes:....unfortunately I don't have any Pz III in the stash, not even a Stug.....I burnt my purchase budget on a KT by Takom.....

I bought the same kit ......be interested to see if you have found any photos of Wegmann turrets actually fitted to a KT ....they offer two versions in the kit ..the 88mm version and the proposed 105mm gun with the new binocular sights (the two round bulges on each side of the turret) ..... i have been doing some digging and found photos of Wegmann turrets stacked up at Kassel's factory but as far as i can tell they were never fitted as the factory was overrun by the U.S forces before they could be used....and of course the 105 is paper panzer territory as that never got off the drawing board....found several pics of the very late single pin tracks and sprockets being used on late KT,s but nothing that shows the 88mm version of the updated turret. I might do the turret as a standard turret with the updated tracks and sprockets because as far as i can see the turret (88mm) apart from the spare track and D-loops is the same as the standard turret (also can't find any reference to the new spare track layout or D-loops) i'm hoping you might have better luck as you have a fairly up to date reference for the fighting around Berlin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

I bought the same kit ......be interested to see if you have found any photos of Wegmann turrets actually fitted to a KT ....they offer two versions in the kit ..the 88mm version and the proposed 105mm gun with the new binocular sights (the two round bulges on each side of the turret) ..... i have been doing some digging and found photos of Wegmann turrets stacked up at Kassel's factory but as far as i can tell they were never fitted as the factory was overrun by the U.S forces before they could be used....and of course the 105 is paper panzer territory as that never got off the drawing board....found several pics of the very late single pin tracks and sprockets being used on late KT,s but nothing that shows the 88mm version of the updated turret. I might do the turret as a standard turret with the updated tracks and sprockets because as far as i can see the turret (88mm) apart from the spare track and D-loops is the same as the standard turret (also can't find any reference to the new spare track layout or D-loops) i'm hoping you might have better luck as you have a fairly up to date reference for the fighting around Berlin.

Those bulges on the turret sides are the range finding optics....

Those suckers would have been deadly on the battlefield, at any range out to a mile and a half +

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

HI STEVE.....that's interesting to know. For myself, I'm not going to be able to adhere to such detail. I originally had planned the early model with early turret style. I had the Takom 2096 Initial Production in the stash....even managed to pick up the R-Model tracks with pins....but when I saw the new Takom 2130 Late Production, I couldn't resist for many reasons......you can use a lot artistic license etc at war's end. I intend to use the early tracks on it....as why not?....make do an everything at that point in the war; and I did read they were going to change the drive sprocket for the simpler track style.....there again, the Takom track might be good enough and not have to use the R-Model one's....have to see.

Overall as you said, it is pretty much as all last production run models were, details etc.

I'm going to give the book cover art a go........:think:

Here's a thing Steve, you'll probably know better than me....I was reading the book below and the KT number 233 was found in the Charlottenburger Guterbahnhof, abandoned and destroyed by the crew. Now, at Saumur the KT there is numbered 233 as well as supposedly numbered this way as it was the number of the KT that knocked out the French officer's Sherman during the war and who ran Saumur at the time......... I wonder if the one in Berlin was the same KT and survived all the way to the end.......

nE98oE1.jpg

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

Those bulges on the turret sides are the range finding optics....

Those suckers would have been deadly on the battlefield, at any range out to a mile and a half +

I know Lee.......it's alright saying the Sherman and T-34 won the war....but I still wouldn't like to have been in one, with the opposition having such capabilities......and killing power.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Here's a thing Steve, you'll probably know better than me....I was reading the book below and the KT number 233 was found in the Charlottenburger Guterbahnhof, abandoned and destroyed by the crew. Now, at Saumur the KT there is numbered 233 as well as supposedly numbered this way as it was the number of the KT that knocked out the French officer's Sherman during the war and who ran Saumur at the time......... I wonder if the one in Berlin was the same KT and survived all the way to the end.......

I read that somewhere as well there are some spooky coincidences going on ....might have been the Saumur webpage...... but i have a funny niggle at the back of my brain that the Saumur KT was a different number he renumbered it because of that action. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I read that somewhere as well there are some spooky coincidences going on ....might have been the Saumur webpage...... but i have a funny niggle at the back of my brain that the Saumur KT was a different number he renumbered it because of that action. 

Yeah, I thought the same......hell of a survivor though....and make it all the way to the end in Berlin.

• Like 2

Hi Simon,  just realised I'd missed your Bergepanther in the RFI section! Don't think I can add much more to it than hasn't been said before, superb work in you're own unique style.

The Takom Kingtiger looks great, I've the DW boxing of the production KT but as you say the scope for something special in a Berlin setting would be tremendous.

Looking forward to your next project. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

Only just noticed this whole thing... Outstanding stuff Sir..!  👍

Thanks POTW…thought it needed some scale. When you add one, it really shows it was a beast of a vehicle ..👍

• Like 1