Takom 1/35 Stug IIIG anything I need to know about the kit ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, badger said:

Nice- is this for the panzer iii gb?

Sadly I can't help with comments though 

All the best

Ben

Yes it is.. Ive sadly shelved my Panther. As Its not working out and Im really not happy with it. So I need to redeem my armor side and come back strong in Panzer III

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes it is.. Ive sadly shelved my Panther. As Its not working out and Im really not happy with it. So I need to redeem my armor side and come back strong in Panzer III

If the panther is shelved for a bit and you don't mind waiting I'd be happy to send you my spare Dragon decals? 

Can't beat a stug - awesome machines!!

I have a 1/72 Revell panzer iii and a shedload of resin updates to build.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

Yeah the Panther is going nowhere soon. If you don't mind sharing them Id be happy to use them. Ive always been a fan of the StuG types I think they're unique in both there design philosophy and abilities. Id love to build a Jagdpanzer IV/70 as well. 

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yeah the Panther is going nowhere soon. If you don't mind sharing them Id be happy to use them. Ive always been a fan of the StuG types I think they're unique in both there design philosophy and abilities. Id love to build a Jagdpanzer IV/70 as well. 

Might have to wait a while I'm afraid as the UK has just gone into total lockdown again. Wasnt expecting that!!

The tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70 is a fantastic kit - I've recently finished one and really enjoyed it

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, badger said:

Might have to wait a while I'm afraid as the UK has just gone into total lockdown again. Wasnt expecting that!!

I had no idea it was getting bad again over there. Stay safe Im not going anywhere anytime soon. Good to know on the JagdPanzer IV thats most likely the kit Id buy for my build. 

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I had no idea it was getting bad again over there. Stay safe Im not going anywhere anytime soon. Good to know on the JagdPanzer IV thats most likely the kit Id buy for my build. 

Sadly its getting pretty bad here again. Looks like its going to be at least 8 weeks!! 

On the Jagdpanzer IV make sure you get this one, as Tamiya also do a much older version.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35340-jagdpanzer-iv-70-v-lang--543823

The only things I added were a metal barrel and some side skirts (from a dragon kit a friend had built and had them spare). 

Ben

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2021 at 8:09 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anything Good/Bad to report on it ? Anything I should be aware of ? 

Hi Dennis,

I was sitting back waiting to see the responses because it is a kit of a subject of great interest to me - another on the bucket list. My own research is that overall a good kit described as sitting between the Tamiya and Dragon offerings in terms of complexity. Some detail discussion on accuracy of deck details and wheels and with corresponding counter arguments. If you want to build a Stug III it seems a good option.

As an aside, it is hard to find anything on it beyond box openings and sprue shots (which I find dull - just a personal thing). Andy on his Youtube channel does the build of the recent Takom Panzer III so it will give you some idea of what is going on with running gear and hull for the Stug III. He also does a brief preview of the Stug III with no build at this stage.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Hello @Ray_W... I should be receiving it today or tomorrow at the latest. Once it gets here I will give it a thorough going over. I don't do a lot of armor now, but was a main staple through much if the 90’s. I probably built 30+ tanks in five years, a mix of mostly Sherman's and German types. Since Ive come back its only been a few builds, mostly due to cost issues. Thanks for the tips I will look for the build. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks for the tips I will look for the build.

A great subject. I've enjoyed my last couple of armour builds immensely after a very long break. I threatened no stash. That did not last long having now acquired RFM's Firefly and Easy Eight, Tamiya Cromwell and Matilda and a Dragon Panzer IV and wanting a suitable Panzer III subject for the STGB. I must not buy more kits.

Ray

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I think I posted elsewhere, but the only real issue I can see is the flimsy upper deck, which may need internal bracing. 
The engine deck bows inward, on my sample. 

You did... And Ive just received the kit and am going through it. 

• Like 1

I've got one in the stash along with a Tamiya Finnish Sturmi.  I don't do German but I do have a soft spot for Stugs.  I would rate it above the Tamiya kit for detail.  I can't speak for fit and construction as I haven't got that far.  And it doesn't have vinyl tracks, a bonus in my book.

I found some interesting photos of one at the StuG school with a rotating flap-sided MG cupola for the loader and a 2cm FlaK 38 mounted at the back of the casemate firing over the top of it with the gunner sitting over the engine deck.  The 2cm mount was hardly practical but apparently the MG cupola was trialled in the East, but clearly not adopted.

• Thanks 1

Think there will be a lot of these in the GB.
The plastic looks good - I haven't noticed the Longbow's bow in the top deck, but mine is still in its placci bags ... IIRC one bag has four or five sprues bundled (but nicely).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...