Another 1/350 HMS Berwick 1940

thekz

6 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Thekz, that's an excellent 'heavy weather' sea, and it looks like the ship has had a hard time of it. I pity the crew when they next reach harbour, all that rust chipping and painting the Buffer will have them doing. Regards, Jeff.

Gidday,

This is the impression I sought😊
I think you've seen a lot of real photos with much larger waves. HMS Renown, as say, overflowed to the funnels)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello gentlemen!
It's time for the next photo report. Now work is underway on the main superstructure and the captain's bridge.

IMG-4831.jpg  

IMG-4833.jpg

IMG-4834.jpg

Since there are no detailed blueprints for Berwick yet, I dare to point out for the future Berwick-builders the main differences between the Berwick superstructure (in the 1940 configuration) and Cornwall (according to Trumpeter's version). I note here only those differences that are clearly visible in the photos and do not cause me any doubts.

IMG-4832a.jpg

1. Straight front wall of the bridge
2. Solid, not railing, second-level fencing. (The rail saved here will be used - around the rear pair of 4 inch AA guns, the reverse operation must be carried out - to replace the solid fence with a rail.)
3. Elongated fencing of pom-pom positions.
4. Only one signal locker on each side. Presumably, another pair is at the base of the mast across.
5. As in other places - a different type of doors

IMG-4837.jpg

And these are modified and homebaked accessories for the bridge

I also worked a little with the water surface.

IMG-47761-clg.jpg

IMG-4842cl.jpg

IMG-4842-34.jpg

In addition to the techniques described in the last post, I also added foam from a mixture of soda and PVA. This made it possible to diversify the texture. Recommend. And a few more coats of glossy two-component varnish:selfie:

Thanks for attention

• Like 13

3 hours ago, olavhome@online,no said:

Im impressed about how you can glue all the tiny details. Personally i feel the glue always stick to my fingers and tools, making a solid mess 🙂

Maybe the superglue i use is to thinflowing, combined with my own techique and eyesight...

polystyrene parts I glue with super liquid glue like this

291-rd.jpg

it should spread over the entire surface - it does not spoil it.
As for the superglue, strangely enough it is easier to work with the thick version that has the word "gel" on it.

100067247.png

It's not about the manufacturer. I am now using a very cheap Chinese from Ashan. pour out a small drop of this gel onto an unnecessary piece of plastic and either directly dip the parts into it or pick up with a toothpick. liquid superglue is actually harder to work with. but you can get used to
good luck

Edited by thekz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great work coming along here.  I must confess that when I saw the first image of here bow being so far out of the water I thought that you had perhaps overdone it - after all she is a 10,000 ton cruiser not a 1,000 ton frigate, but after the addition of the foam it's looking pretty good.  

By the way, you mention a product called synthep.  Can you elaborate on what that is as a Google search came up with nothing?  Is it a form of cotton wool?

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2021 at 23:27, Chewbacca said:

By the way, you mention a product called synthep.  Can you elaborate on what that is as a Google search came up with nothing?  Is it a form of cotton wool?

You probably call this material by a different word. This is a synthetic wadding that is used as insulation for winter clothing. Cotton wool is likely to work with this method.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, guys!

In past projects I have had difficulties with plastic spars. The rods and mast tops on Trumpeter`s models are very flexible and brittle. Not to mention the risk of breaking them, they lose their shape when the rigging is stretched. Berwick's thin masts were frightening to look at already on the sprues! Especially in the kit the mainsail was without maintopmast, so the question arose - what to make a spar out of? 
I chose bamboo toothpicks. Here's what came out:

IMG-4854.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't have many photos of the maintopmast. I made a seaman on battens to liven it up (yes, it's a seaman, not Winnie the Pooh or Kungfu Panda:giggle:)

IMG-4857.jpg

The foremast is a little better documented, and will hopefully be an ornament to the finished model. Winnie the Pooh in this case climbed into the crow's nest.
Of course, to finally understand whether the material for the spar is successful or not will be possible much later, when I pull the rigging.

And these are the hand-finished artellery directors and anti-aircraft machine guns:

IMG-4860-1.jpg

More later)

Edited by thekz
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Thekz, good to see you back. You've done some very nice detail there. Regards, Jeff.

Thank you, Jeff.
I haven't actually stopped my work on Berwick for a day. But my poor English and introverted temperament prevents me from writing often:facepalm:

• Haha 1

Gidday again, I think your English is very good. As an Australian my English is probably not as good as yours. 🙂 And it's the only language I speak. As for introverted, I think that's my middle name.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress. I've only ever done one of this class of cruiser, an Airfix 1/600 HMS Suffolk OOB, but I'd like to do more, HMAS Australia for one. It will still be an Airfix 1/600 but I'll get a lot of tips from the other members' builds here, yours too if I may. But this will be in the future.

Those directors you've done, and the quad machine guns are exquisite.     Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Those directors you've done, and the quad machine guns are exquisite

Seconded, I think, I've yet to run Jeff's post through my Aussie-English translator. And Thekz, your english is perfect, definitely better than most native speakers, myself included, and I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't your first language. More please.

David

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Seconded, I think, I've yet to run Jeff's post through my Aussie-English translator. And Thekz, your english is perfect, definitely better than most native speakers, myself included, and I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't your first language. More please.

David

it's really weird for me to read this. Indeed, I studied English at school and university (during the Soviet Union, when English teachers were not able to communicate with native speakers). Then I didn't practice English for many years and now I use auto-translation software to write all my sweats, substituting only specific navy vocabulary.

Your compliments should be redirected to the makers of these software!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Haha 1

This is a mighty project. Very impressed with your dedication to documenting the build and translating your copy. But a little scared that the resultant text is the work of a set of algorithms. Yikes! We are the slaves of the machines.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys!
Big news from my home yard! The masts are painted and in place.

IMG-4890.jpg IMG-4896.jpg

Most of the rigging has been stretched.

More and more self-made sailors in jackets are taking up their posts.

IMG-4882.jpg

IMG-4887.jpg

A little-noticed, but psychologically very important milestone has been overcome - the leers on the lower level of the superstructure. The fact is that the shape of this level is the main difference between the Berwick and the Cornwall, and therefore it was impossible to do without leers from the kit. 

I had to apply inquisitorial methods to them :fight:

And here's the homebaked Micro Master!:selfie:

IMG-4898.jpg

IMG-4899.jpg

Two of the four 8" turrets have been refinished. Of course, the Micro Master has smaller rivets and tidier parts, but the pleasure of doing it all yourself is incomparable! IMHO :blush:

I still miss the splash in the bow.

IMG-4884.jpg

IMG-4888.jpg

Added more but it's not over yet)

Thanks to everyone who reads me

• Like 9

3 hours ago, thekz said:

but the pleasure of doing it all yourself is incomparable! IMHO

Gidday Thekz, I enjoy making some parts also. Mine aren't as good as AM stuff, but it's what I enjoy doing. Your model of HMS Berwick is coming along very well. I think when the ship finally reaches port the crew are going to be rather busy with chipping hammers and paint pots - all that rust! 😩

Regards, Jeff. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Thekz, I enjoy making some parts also. Mine aren't as good as AM stuff, but it's what I enjoy doing.

You just have a much smaller scale.
I built one model in 1/700. I'm not doing it again.:blush:

• Like 1

I look at what you have achieved, and I am truly in awe. Your self carved crew are amazing, but your wave splashes are so realistic.

How on earth do you do it ? 
You have a gift, plain and simple. :worthy:

Jon

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

I look at what you have achieved, and I am truly in awe. Your self carved crew are amazing, but your wave splashes are so realistic.

How on earth do you do it ? 
You have a gift, plain and simple. :worthy:

Jon

If there is a secret, it is that I try to take my time. In those moments when I want to finish and start another project as soon as possible, I tell myself that the same technological operations are waiting for me there.

I have a very modest budget for modelling, so I have to make many of the details myself.😔

• Like 1