Another 1/350 HMS Berwick 1940

thekz

Happy New Year, guys!

Inspired by the work of the esteemed Rob, I began to build my version of the heavy cruiser HMS "Berwick" based on Trumpeter's "Cornwall". Doing Berwick for November 1940, before the battle at Cape Spartivento.

spacer.png

I would like to make a stormy sea typical for this time of year. Like my previous projects, I plan to use a mini aftermarket details and everything that I can modify myself (I have nowhere to rush!). I also want to make my own crew figures. I think it will not be as difficult as it seems - firstly, in fresh weather there should not be many sailors on deck. Secondly, the figures in storm jackets are not very difficult to make.)

Gentlemen! I would be very grateful if someone shares a photo of Berwick. Photos from 1940 are especially interesting. For my part, I share what I managed to find:

https://mega.nz/folder/E5cFXArQ#eznRe1pyYHcTpIfYdcBSwg

Edited by thekz
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I must apologize to you: it's been a month and a half now, I've been building Berwick, but I've been putting off writing this post. Everything seemed to me that it was too early. But now my hands have reached.;)

spacer.png

So that there was nowhere to retreat, I started with a stormy sea.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The technology is standard - the base is penoplex, waves are made of toilet paper on white glue, then painted with acrylic, volume is added with the help of transparent glue "Liquid nails" and covered with glossy varnish. The plate was drawn in Photoshop and printed on a photo printer. The wake jet is made of sintepon coated with white glue. I will use the same method to make foam and spray around the bow, but this, of course, after painting the hull.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Work is underway on the sides: I drilled the portholes, added visors to them made of 0.25 mm copper wire, reworked the shape of the garbage chute and exhaust pipes, added the borders of the casing sheets.

spacer.png
Of course, it will not work without an aftermarket - in the photo there are ladders and winches from MICRODESIGN.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And this is my challenge to the aftermarket - the first generation of self-made people in pea jackets. Of course, this is worse than resin figures, but IMHO it is much more convincing than flat people with triangular heads from Eduard.

spacer.png

spacer.png
Some more little things - Valrus with folded wings (braces will be after painting) and a 32-foot cutter.

On this I say goodbye)

Edited by thekz
  • Like 11

Priwjet!

I am pretty sure such "back to roots" (lot of self-done mods) modelling is still very refreshing, learning and inspirational approach for modellers. I like very much such excersises for our creativity, imagination and patience.  I will look at Berwick in your shipyard with great  interest.

I like very much your work with whaler: adding rescue lines, gunwales and planking creates really different, higher level.

2nd point: visors. In my personal taste full PE portholes seems little to exaggerated on ship models, while your solutions could be close to ideal balanced.

Udaczi!

Edited by socjo1

Attention to everyone who is going to make Berwick from Cornwall! Read and tell your friend!)))

I found a photo of Berwick and Cornwall from almost the same angle. I drew a collage like this:

spacer.png

What differences are striking? Another position of the chute.

spacer.png

The point is not that it is so difficult to make a new garbage chute (cut off the old one so that it is probably impossible to transfer). The fact is that when drilling the portholes, I was guided by it! Horror!

We'll have to re-drill at least 10 portholes from each side and re-make visors on them (((

Of course, at first I wanted to hide my discovery from the people and leave everything as it is. But after three days of doubts I realized that after such an act I could not consider myself a modeler.

Alea iacta est! I cut the trash chute on the port side. Wish me good luck...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, thekz said:

Of course, at first I wanted to hide my discovery from the people and leave everything as it is. But after three days of doubts I realized that after such an act I could not consider myself a modeler.

And after about three months of self-loathing you'd probably have locked yourself away in a monastery, seeking penance for the rest of your life. 

Only joking.     They'd probably let you out in about fifteen years.   😄

Regarding the photos above which is which? Besides the garbage chute I can see very little difference, other than a boat's boom on the upper vessel is not there on the lower ship. Unless it's deployed and pointing directly at the camera. The rafts on the side of the hangar seem lower down and further apart on the lower ship, and it seems no boats beneath them.  Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 08:00, ArnoldAmbrose said:

And after about three months of self-loathing you'd probably have locked yourself away in a monastery, seeking penance for the rest of your life. 

Only joking.     They'd probably let you out in about fifteen years.   😄

Regarding the photos above which is which? Besides the garbage chute I can see very little difference, other than a boat's boom on the upper vessel is not there on the lower ship. Unless it's deployed and pointing directly at the camera. The rafts on the side of the hangar seem lower down and further apart on the lower ship, and it seems no boats beneath them.  Regards, Jeff.

You understand people surprisingly well. The monastery is my dream. 😇 ((((( 

Let's go back to the ships. top Berwick, below - Cornwall. You haven't noticed the most famous difference - the position of the front twin 4”turret and the position of 32ft  boat below it. That is why the garbage chute is so important - everyone who is in the subject will consider this area first. They also have a slightly different superstructure under the catapult, but this is not visible in these photos.

Edited by thekz
  • Like 1

"What differences are striking?" "...which is which?"

P1 4" mounting is the giveaway.  The upper photo shows Berwick, the lower one Cornwall.

And yes, the boat boom is present on both photos - the shadow shows on the lower one.

Conversion to HMS Suffolk - apart from the obvious change aft, there are some other points to note:

• 4" HA - different locations and (until mid-war) single mountings in the after positions (and consequent change to boat stowage etc).
  • Multiple 2pdr mountings - quadruple instead of octuple.
  • Completely different fire control arrangements above bridge for LA control of main armament.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thekz said:

Converting Cornwall to Suffolk is certainly possible, albeit very time consuming. Here is an example of such courage:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=202855&hilit=suffolk

That's some very impressive work, a little beyond me i fear, I'd not appreciated quite the variations within the subclasses, 

2 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

That's some very impressive work, a little beyond me i fear, I'd not appreciated quite the variations within the subclasses, 

I thought so too. Berwick is a little easier to make, although there are also a lot of small differences, and most importantly there is little photographic material on the basis of which they can be noticed.

To be honest, I'm afraid that my so-called Berwick 70 percent will remain a repainted Cornwall.😪

3 hours ago, thekz said:

I thought so too. Berwick is a little easier to make, although there are also a lot of small differences, and most importantly there is little photographic material on the basis of which they can be noticed.

To be honest, I'm afraid that my so-called Berwick 70 percent will remain a repainted Cornwall.😪

The lack of photos must be frustrating, stick with it I'm sure you'll get there,

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thekz said:

No-one is going to know ;)

Rob

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Seriously, I wouldn't know. I'd just admire the model. Regards, Jeff.

I understand your position. I am trying to restore the historical appearance of the ship, not because I am afraid of criticism on the site. and I understand that I will never achieve 100% historicity. but fantasy modeling is not interesting to me🙂

• 2 weeks later...

The crisis with the portholes has been overcome. Made all sorts of small things along the ports.

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG-4236.jpg

IMG-4237.jpg

IMG-4243.jpg

IMG-4244.jpg

IMG-4242.jpg

Collected anchor chains.

IMG-4240.jpg

The chains are from the kit. Yes, they are oversized, I know, but I have nothing better.

In order not to get bored while the putty dries, I was busy with boats.

IMG-4249.jpg

Here's a rare 1920s style boat. There is one in the kit - instead of the second a stack of logs. But I wanted to put two. All the more the stacking on the Berwick is not visible in any photos. The second under the awning is made of scrap materials.

IMG-4246.jpg

IMG-4247.jpg

Work is underway on the hangar.

IMG-4250.jpg

The detailing of the front funnel is also almost ready. It remains to collect.

Every success

Thekz

• Like 6