Revell 2021 releases

Paul H

Details here of  Revell's 2021 releases:

https://www.kitreviewsonline.de/revell-neuheiten-2021/

Highlights include:

Expected E Type OTS version of the new FHC confirmed

Camper version of the already announced / known easy click VW Bay Window

Porsche 911 Coupe & Targa - confirmed as new tooling, not reissues / reboxings of Fujimi

Edited by Paul H
spelling typo

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oh heck, more assaults on the credit card...!!

I know!  In particular, I have a strong urge to build the 911 coupe in a sickly light green with Swedish numberplates.  I think it's due to some of my more Aspergic tendacies...

• Like 2

I hope the 911s will be a real narrow body type and I also would like to build this plain 911 with this strange green colour and swedish plates 

Is there anybody out there who is able to create the blond girl 😇

The T2 camper is something I got to do just because a friend of mine owned a 1:1 in orange and white with the strange green interior 

Marco F 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

A welcome return of the old Monogram Trans Am Firebird and GTX. At least I'm assuming they are the 1.24 scale kits, rather than new tool 1.25?

Either way, Revell will be getting a few bob from me.

I'm pretty sure that the US stuff shown is just Revell AG boxings of what were Revell USA kits, so are indeed probably the Monogram ones.  It's good to see more of these being available over this side of the pond as then they are much more senisble prices.  That '70 Charger is starting to look very tempting now...

8 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

I hope the 911s will be a real narrow body type and I also would like to build this plain 911 with this strange green colour and swedish plates 

Is there anybody out there who is able to create the blond girl 😇

The T2 camper is something I got to do just because a friend of mine owned a 1:1 in orange and white with the strange green interior 

Marco F 

I know what you mean about the narrow body - even with the 964, the really narrow body ones were much more interesting than the wide arch ones.  If the new Revell one is indeed the slightly wide rear arch version as shown in the pics, then whilst annoying, it isn't too different.  Just hoping it does indeed have the Fuchs wheels rather than one of the other styles.  Also a quick look on Scalemates shows that there is quite a range of 1:24 figures available & this one looks like it could be a good basis for adapting into a Swedish detective. 

• Thanks 1

Just found this thread on here regarding building '70s Porsches in vile green using the Fujimi kits:

5 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I expect it's the E-Type which is most likely to be making a grab for my credit card.

I was originally thinking that too.  Given that the FHC kit seems to have an OTS height screen, I was expecting the OTS to be spot on & thus a must-have.  However the pic of the completed kit still doesn't seem to look right for some reason (screen height vs width) so I am waiting for more info on that before making a decision.  In the meantime I have Gunze's 4.2 OTS curbside and Heller's 3.8 OTS & FHC which will keep me busy.  The end result may well be a bit of a mix and match between them, but the plan is that some of the leftovers will become the basis for a Guyson E12.

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

If the new Revell one is indeed the slightly wide rear arch version as shown in the pics, then whilst annoying, it isn't too different.

To me, the pics just show standard body 911SC/3.2 Carreras - I don't recall any having narrower arches than those? A quick Google search doesn't show any either.

Maybe the first impact bumper 2.7's had narrower arches? 

I'll be happy to just have some (some?!) more 3.2's as I always regretted selling off my Fujimi versions when I decided I didn't like the impact bumper cars - they've grown on me since!

Keith

• Like 1

According to this article, Saga's one is a '77 911S & the pics show that it has noticably narrower / less flared arches than the ones shown in the link about Revell's releases.  My detail knowledge of 911s & variants isn't that high but guessing it's a lower spec model compared to the SC / 3.2, hence the narrower rear wheels & arches?

I didn't used to like the impact cars much as well, but they have grown on me too!  However it's the more upright US Federal spec headlights which are also seen on some that have been imported back from the States that I really hate because they really spoil the lines.  Over a decade ago, a cousin was making serious noises about getting a pre-impact 911, but by the time he had the necessary cash, they had risen far too much in value.  I did suggest an impact one to him instead which would have been very much in his price range, and would have been a far more sensible option anyway as it would be parked on the street in London.  However he just didn't like them, so that was it.  I think they have gone up a lot in value recenty too, whereas whichever modern flashy thing he bought instead would not have done!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Much too happy - Saga was far more serious....!!

Whilst I agree regarding the box art, the actual plastic may be ok, once stuff like a long coat has been added.  It was the least inappropriate of the ones that turned up in the search!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paul H said:

Just found this thread on here regarding building '70s Porsches in vile green using the Fujimi kits:

Thanks for the link, was starting to wonder why people kept mentioning a green Porsche with Swedish license plates...

• Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 23:33, Paul H said:

My detail knowledge of 911s & variants isn't that high but guessing it's a lower spec model compared to the SC / 3.2, hence the narrower rear wheels & arches?

Despite lusting over that 911 in every scene it appeared in, I'd never noticed the narrow rear arches (guess the driver must have had even more appeal than the car!) It is because the S was apparently the first impact bumper car and the SC brought in the wider rear arches.

For anyone wanting to build Saga's car, there are at least two Porsche 'olive greens'. Apparently Saga's is Olive Green 414 (and hiroboy list this as a Zero colour);

https://www.rennbow.org/colorwiki/Olive

There's an interesting article on the car on the 911uk forum, apparently originally published by Porsche UK - scroll down to post #11.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=108246&sid=93824a3db04c7c95362bab6890e9b253

The 'other' Olive is paint code 274 which to me is darker and less yellow. I have a pot of this to do this particular 911 Turbo complete with 'orange' interior (but without the tartan inserts!)

https://www.classicargarage.com/archives/porsche-911-930-3-3-turbo-1978

Keith

Edited because the muppet sitting here forgot to include the link to the 911uk forum thread.

• Like 1

Are there any mold test shot photos out there of the XKE “OTS” body? (“open two-seat” for any others like me here that didn’t know that was what Jaguar called their roadster). The windshield frame height looks much more accurate to me on the picture shown on the German link referenced above than the new FHC model images I’ve seen. Hoping this new XKE roadster looks right, my wife has been waiting many years for me to replace the red roadster I built for her from the 1963 Revell kit and lost in a move. 

21 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

There are for 911 at that period at least Conda Green, Delphi Green, Earth Olive, Leaf Green and then some other greens like Irish green. So not so easy task to define and metallic shades can change look very different depending on light.

True enough, there's also viper, signal, willow, kelly and as you say many other greens - but they all have fairly different hues from the two olives which are quite distinct from Porsches other greens at the time - not to mention those in use today (& you can still get your brand new 911 painted in the 1970 olivgrun if you want!) 

But as the discussion had veered off to the colour of Saga's Porsche, Google finds enough references to suggest it's fairly safe to paint a model of it in paint code 414. And finally there are also suggestions that paint code 414 was also known by Porsche as JagerGrun (Hunter green)! :)

Keith

• Like 2

@keefr22 I shortly looked documentation in work databases. And 414 is know as you said Jäger Grün, Earth Olive and just plain Olive. Funny thing is that documents show that color was last time used -75. But I know that special orders have always been possible and this car in Bridge was originally made to US market. So there might have been other options than in Europe.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 20:56, Spiny said:

I like the look of that Firebird (assuming it's a decent kit),

The body isn't bad, but the basic tooling dates from 1978, so it's typical Monogram of the period - low parts count and either moulded in or missing details.   If accuracy bothers you, the gearbox and rear axle are incorrect for an early T/A, but the simplified suspension and lack of brake detail might be a bigger issue in that case.

Edited by Six97s
Typos
  • Thanks 1

Good to hear that it sounds ok - I think I can live with the out-of-sight inaccuracies. i suspect it will be one of those which is always hovering on the edge of being bought (at least for a while) as the E-Type convertible and 6R4 at least are ahead of it but who knows???

• Greg B locked this topic