Martin H

On 09/07/2021 at 09:21, Grandboof said:

Would like to join in please Something winged and civil 

Martin H

Hi Martin 

Does that mean we can put you down for 2 ? :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

• trickyrich changed the title to Turning Japanese.......... (I really think so...) - we have 46 and still counting

as you may see I have finally gotten around to updating the list....... I take no responsibility for spelling mistakes......... it's all @Col.'s fault! :D  Actually why haven't you signed up? Even Pat's here!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'll have a go in the third category, with some kind of mecha, most likely.

Do we know when in 2022 it will start/finish?

As of November 1st every year there is a Voting session for the following years builds. Enzo Matrix the group build moderator puts up a voting poll and we all get to choose four builds. Top 7-8-9  after a set time will get dates. Every member of the forum is welcome to vote and participate in builds. Rich is a good host he usually reminds and cheerleads to get people excited and into the voting process. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As of November 1st every year there is a Voting session for the following years builds. Enzo Matrix the group build moderator puts up a voting poll and we all get to choose four builds. Top 7-8-9  after a set time will get dates. Every member of the forum is welcome to vote and participate in builds. Rich is a good host he usually reminds and cheerleads to get people excited and into the voting process. 

Thanks, that's helpful. There seem to be loads more than 9 group builds happening at the moment, was this a 'lockdown bonus'?

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks, that's helpful. There seem to be loads more than 9 group builds happening at the moment, was this a 'lockdown bonus'?

You'll usually see around 7-8 running concurrently.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085950-2021-gb-and-stgb-calendar/.  On the year as a whole, usually around 8 standard group builds (give or take 1) which have always been voted on in the past.  One of the standard GBs is typically a Classic GB.  These standard builds are where Dennis was getting his numbers from.  Around 7 STGB (single type GB) that run alongside the standard GBs, this year will be the first year these are voted on.  In the past they have been a first come, first serve.  3 Blitzbuilds over long holidays.  1 KUTA (kick up the ***) GB at the end of the year for a second chance to complete a build that didn't quite get finished. And usually a special Anniversary build of some sorts (this year was Gulf War).

There is more general information on GBs here.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/712-groupbuild-faqs/

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.  Welcome to the Group Build corner of BM.  :cheers:

Fair warning though, it can be like a Hotel California.....some of us never leave.  :whistle:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

as you may see I have finally gotten around to updating the list....... I take no responsibility for spelling mistakes......... it's all @Col.'s fault! :D  Actually why haven't you signed up? Even Pat's here!

I think you should probably add @Col., as it was obviously a glaring oversight on his part.  As friends its up to us to look out for his best interests is it not?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, helios16v said:

You'll usually see around 7-8 running concurrently.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085950-2021-gb-and-stgb-calendar/.  On the year as a whole, usually around 8 standard group builds (give or take 1) which have always been voted on in the past.  One of the standard GBs is typically a Classic GB.  These standard builds are where Dennis was getting his numbers from.  Around 7 STGB (single type GB) that run alongside the standard GBs, this year will be the first year these are voted on.  In the past they have been a first come, first serve.  3 Blitzbuilds over long holidays.  1 KUTA (kick up the ***) GB at the end of the year for a second chance to complete a build that didn't quite get finished. And usually a special Anniversary build of some sorts (this year was Gulf War).

There is more general information on GBs here.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/712-groupbuild-faqs/

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.  Welcome to the Group Build corner of BM.  :cheers:

Fair warning though, it can be like a Hotel California.....some of us never leave.  :whistle:

Thank you. There is much to learn, despite being an occasional lurker on this site for many years. I've had a look at the FAQs and other threads and think I'm getting the idea.

Modelmaking is a solitary hobby and I hoped that participating in GBs and on the forum in general will give me a sense of community. The welcome I've received in these first few days suggests that hope will be realised. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thank you. There is much to learn, despite being an occasional lurker on this site for many years. I've had a look at the FAQs and other threads and think I'm getting the idea.

Modelmaking is a solitary hobby and I hoped that participating in GBs and on the forum in general will give me a sense of community. The welcome I've received in these first few days suggests that hope will be realised. 

Part of it is what you make of it, but the opportunity is certainly there.  There are a few guys around these parts that I consider personal friends now...despite having never met outside these forums.  But by gods you'd better believe if I ever find myself in their corners of the world we'll be getting together for some beers and tall tales.  :cheers:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Part of it is what you make of it, but the opportunity is certainly there.  There are a few guys around these parts that I consider personal friends now...despite having never met outside these forums.  But by gods you'd better believe if I ever find myself in their corners of the world we'll be getting together for some beers and tall tales.  :cheers:

You have been very helpful. I'm going to take a liberty and copy you in on a question I raised on my introduction topic just now...

Thank you. There certainly is much to learn, ...

Any community will have unwritten aspects of the 'club rules'. I don't want to make too many social blunders so I'll just ask when I'm in doubt. Firstly, can anyone explain the etiquette of 'reacting'? Is a member expected to 'like' everything, or is this just for quick acknowledgements when time is too short for a reply in words? I'm not personally a big user of emoticons and like buttons so that's something I find a little strange.

25 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Any community will have unwritten aspects of the 'club rules'. I don't want to make too many social blunders so I'll just ask when I'm in doubt. Firstly, can anyone explain the etiquette of 'reacting'? Is a member expected to 'like' everything, or is this just for quick acknowledgements when time is too short for a reply in words? I'm not personally a big user of emoticons and like buttons so that's something I find a little strange.

I don't feel there are any "rules" regarding the emoticons.  I don't think anyone would be bothered if you never used them.  Don't feel any obligation to "have to react" to every post.  There is so much that goes on in these GB threads that no one can be expected to see everything.  I'll usually use the "like" if I'm scrolling through see something that catches my attention but don't have anything to add to the particular discussion...or short on time.  Or the "Haha" icon if a post makes me laugh to myself while reading it.  I will usually try to use the "Thanks" emoticon when people respond to my build threads to let them know that I appreciate them leaving a comment.  I don't like adding a "thanks for the comment" comment to every single reply to draw out the post count in my threads...unless I have something more to add.  But that is just me.....it's not wrong to respond to every comment either.  One could probably argue it's more sociable to respond to every reply.....but I tend to be a bit anti-social anyways...despite enjoying being around others w/ similar interests.  I'm a walking contradiction.  :mental:

Some discussion is good though, as that is how you'll knit yourself into the community.

Hopefully that's somewhat coherent...I sometimes struggle converting thoughts into words.  :rofl2:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

I'm a walking contradiction.  :mental:

Some discussion is good though, as that is how you'll knit yourself into the community.

Hopefully that's somewhat coherent...I sometimes struggle converting thoughts into words.  :rofl2:

I love that Kris Kristopherson song "He's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction, taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home..." Written about Johnny Cash, but I think many of us feel like that. I certainly do.

And, no worries, that was coherent and has relieved my little anxieties no end.

It's just occurred to me that I'm hijacking this thread! So I'll wander off now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's just occurred to me that I'm hijacking this thread! So I'll wander off now.

Don't worry about the highjack...just make sure you vote for Japan in November's elections.  I'm sure with your vote @trickyrich will let it slide.  ;)

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

@helios16v got it before me, I apologize for not clarifying that there would be 7-9 of each type. 

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

I think We all can say the same. 

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

You have been very helpful. I'm going to take a liberty and copy you in on a question I raised on my introduction topic just now...

Thank you. There certainly is much to learn, ...

I agree with whats been said already, though will add what I personally do. I think If someone is brave enough to place their builds in an RFI (ready for inspection) gallery. Then I typically give them a like. It can take a lot for some to show there work if they are intimidated by some builds they see here. If I ask a question or see an answer given that I needed then I give them a Thanks. Feel no obligation to do the same this is just my way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree with whats been said already, though will add what I personally do. I think If someone is brave enough to place their builds in an RFI (ready for inspection) gallery. Then I typically give them a like. It can take a lot for some to show there work if they are intimidated by some builds they see here. If I ask a question or see an answer given that I needed then I give them a Thanks. Feel no obligation to do the same this is just my way. 

Thanks for that tip. It seems a kindly and encouraging thing to do. I'll likely follow suit unless I write a comment, in which case it would be redundant.

don't worry I'm usually the one that gets side tracked and hijacks a thread around here!!  :whistle:

Everyone has filled you in on the process for the GB's and how they come about. They're lots of fun and a great way to pickup  good trucks and helpful advise, plus make friends along the way.

So just remember to keep an eye out for the voting at the beginning of November, and with luck we'll see you when the fun all begins next year!! :yahoo:

• Haha 1

• trickyrich changed the title to Turning Japanese.......... (I really think so...) - we have 48 and still counting
14 hours ago, helios16v said:

1 KUTA (kick up the ***) GB at the end of the year for a second chance to complete a build that didn't quite get finished.

Gidday, I've often wondered what KUTA meant. I thought it was a resort in Bali. 😀 

14 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Modelmaking is a solitary hobby

I hear you brother. For nigh on two decades I did everything on my own, having never heard of modelling forums such as this. I'm reclusive by nature and going deaf into the bargain, so I don't interact much with the rest of the human race. I'm now a member of two forums - The Airfix Tribute Forum (most of my ships are Airfix kits) and here. They've opened a whole new world for me.

Regards, Jeff.