Turning Japanese.......... (I really think so...) Chat

trickyrich

On 5/12/2022 at 7:46 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Not been able to take a trip to the local and seems if their website is accurate the Hasegawa Raiden has been sold, still have the Hasegawa zeros but wondering if the IJN Dark Black Green I purchased would be fine, its the one that's close to FS34052 or if its a different IJN green I need to source?  Boxings are D21, D23 and D26

Hi Stu,

As I think I mentioned elsewhere in this GB, back in the days when White Ensign made the Colourcoats range of paints they had at least 4 IJN greens - Mitsubishi, Nakajima and Kawanishi together with generic Black Green (or is it Green/Black?). and so I used them as appropriate - the Kate I posted on your Kate build was in the "Nakajima" shade - the White Ensign Mitsubishi green was a bit lighter than the Nakajima one, which in turn was a bit lighter than the bog standard black/green. Since Sovereign took over the paint range their research has it seems dismissed the manufacturer based variations and so standard Black Green will probably be fine on the Kate etc. As to the grey undersurfaces, again White Ensign had a few variations, but I think the Nakajima Ameiro amber grey may have been used on all the IJN aircraft at Pearl Harbor according to a series of articles in Scale Aircraft Modelling International  - AFAIK Sovereign Colourcoats only sell "Mitsubishi" light grey, Ameiro and Mitsubishi Zero Grey Green, but I am sure Stew will know. As I mentioned in my Judy build, the Tamiya JNAF Green and the Gunze one are both slightly different - the Tamiya one being slightly lighter as I recall. I guess that like JAAF the colour did vary a bit depending on which company made it and so on.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Beazer said:

52071798064_d86cf31f5e_b.jpg

I did a little bit of work on it last night with some interior paint, just for cameras and seat covers but let me know what ya think.

Unless @trickyrich overrules me, I'd say close enough.  Go ahead and set up a build thread and let 'er rip.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Beazer said:

52071798064_d86cf31f5e_b.jpg

I did a little bit of work on it last night with some interior paint, just for cameras and seat covers but let me know what ya think.

Nah, that'll be fine, there's still plenty there to keep you busy!!  

What you've done so far looks great!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nah, that'll be fine, there's still plenty there to keep you busy!!  

What you've done so far looks great!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much chaps.  I shall be very busy.

Can I join in with this one if I promise to do it as an F-15J?

2022-05-09_05-46-40

It seems a fun project and just what I need to restore some modelling mojo.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Col. said:

2022-05-09_05-46-40

Absolutely.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 1:03 AM, Col. said:

2022-05-09_05-46-40

an eggcellent choice!!  🤣

• Haha 1

Was chatting w/ Rich about the eggplanes earlier, for gallery submission we are going to classify them as "anime/manga" due to the caricature nature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick question about Japanese interior colors ? Yes I know :worms: and all. Kawasaki Ki.32 Mary interior colors, anyone care to give me a best guess or if you have any info to share. I have an vacu-form kit and I will need to scratch-build the interior as well as paint whats visible under the greenhouse. So any info would be helpful. 

Dennis

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

anyone care to give me a best guess

The A-Model kit recommends a Humbrol colour which is their US Interior Green so there's that... personally as it's an Army machine and not a Navy one I would go with a darkish grey-blue but I think you're pretty much free to use anything you think feasible without anyone being able to say you're definitely wrong :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok fear not I'm back!!!  :thumbsup:

No I haven't abducted aliens or a tribe of Amazonian women...... I wish! :D

No just the unglamorous away in the outback with work then back tomorrow work dramas! :wall:  

In between I have made some progress on my builds...very slowly, but I have noticed some huge progress on lots of builds here. I'll slowly catch up on all of them. 

• Like 1

Hi,

The accessories for the Tamiya 1/72  A6M2B "Zero fighter" are here. Just Eduard superfabric seatbelts and canopy masks. Freaking tiny glasshouse made me spend some more cash.

Scheduled to land on the bench next week.

If  @Enzo Matrix has no objection against another Pearl Harbor Zero landing here, I'll stick with one of the "out of the box" schemes instead of the planned captured plane in US Navy colours.

Also, my apologies to @trickyrich for changing my mind again.

spacer.png

Happy modelling "with a Japanese flavor" to all.

Pat

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PattheCat said:

If  @Enzo Matrix has no objection against another Pearl Harbor Zero landing here, I'll stick with one of the "out of the box" schemes

It's always interesting to see different interpretations from different people. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Hi Rich,

I thought I'd signed up for this one, but apparently I didn't :( Hope its not to late to participate with one of Arma's new Ki-84 Hayate kits?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Rich,

I thought I'd signed up for this one, but apparently I didn't :( Hope its not to late to participate with one of Arma's new Ki-84 Hayate kits?

Cheers,

Mark

It's never too late.  :thumbsup:

Glad to have you aboard Mark.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, helios16v said:

It's never too late.  :thumbsup:

Glad to have you aboard Mark.

That's absolutely brilliant, thanks! :)

Having failed dismally to get my Matchbox 50 Buffalo anywhere near complete, I am determined to do this one!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

That's absolutely brilliant, thanks! :)

Having failed dismally to get my Matchbox 50 Buffalo anywhere near complete, I am determined to do this one!

Cheers,

Mark

Oy Mark

I haven't given up on you finishing the Buffalo :fight:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Oy Mark

I haven't given up on you finishing the Buffalo :fight:

Cheers Pat

Lol! :D I'll be carrying on with the Buffalo, Pat, don't worry :) but I can't see it being finished in time, I'm sorry to say.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Picking away on my F-4 STGB entry, which would also apply this GB if I wasn't so far along.  Though one could probably argue that decals are 75% of a Phantom build.  :rofl2:

52122254188_aecd101eff_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We should start a buddy build resurrection thread @helios16v as I finished laying the first coat of Alclad sliver on the blunt end of my Hasegawa Kai about ten minutes ago :D

• Like 2

I'd just like to give @PeterB a shout out for sharing his wealth of knowledge/research on the vast array of Japanese WWII equipment.  Thank you sir for taking the time.  :cheers:

• Like 4

On 5/30/2022 at 1:16 AM, PattheCat said:

Hi,

The accessories for the Tamiya 1/72  A6M2B "Zero fighter" are here. Just Eduard superfabric seatbelts and canopy masks. Freaking tiny glasshouse made me spend some more cash.

Scheduled to land on the bench next week.

If  @Enzo Matrix has no objection against another Pearl Harbor Zero landing here, I'll stick with one of the "out of the box" schemes instead of the planned captured plane in US Navy colours.

Also, my apologies to @trickyrich for changing my mind again.

Happy modelling "with a Japanese flavor" to all.

Pat

no objections form me......though this WILL be the last time you change your mind!!! :fight:

On 6/2/2022 at 1:16 AM, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Rich,

Cheers,

Mark

it's never too late....... ok, the day before it ends might be cutting it a bit fine! :D

On 6/2/2022 at 6:33 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Lol! :D I'll be carrying on with the Buffalo, Pat, don't worry :) but I can't see it being finished in time, I'm sorry to say.

Cheers,

Mark

oh don't whatever you do upset Pat!!!!   :door:    :rofl2:

On 6/5/2022 at 6:35 AM, helios16v said:

Picking away on my F-4 STGB entry, which would also apply this GB if I wasn't so far along.  Though one could probably argue that decals are 75% of a Phantom build.  :rofl2:

What??? only 75% of the build....are you not putting decals on the underside!!!  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

no objections form me......though this WILL be the last time you change your mind!!! :fight:

Who can resist a white ... dove grey .... grey-green ... early Zero, oh heck, whichever color they were.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Feel like if i don't join in with something anime related ill be very crossed at myself.

So, i hope it's not too late to join.

Im just wondering tough, and this isn't mentioned in the rules, is 3D-printed stuff fine. What i have planned, and unfortunately bout the only thing that would fit the criteria, i would 3D-model/print myself.

5uNA7JG.png

And yes, with crew and all, in 1/16 scale. It won't be RC compatible tough.

Should be doable in a couple months, and should also serve as a great way to test my new printer.

• Like 3