Turning Japanese.......... (I really think so...) Chat

trickyrich

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So Ive reached out to Enzo to see if he can move a thread over to this build. @trickyrich Its the same kit and Japanese F-2a I was going to do in the F-16 STGB last year. Hopefully this is ok ? 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235095087-mitsubishi-f-2-misawa-japan/

If not I have some other options, let me know ? 

Dennis

I don't have a problem at all, will be nice to see it built.

• Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see the takes on wartime Japanese paint. Like most aircraft colours it has been subject to a fair bit of debate in the past, both in terms of the obvious external colours and the interior ones too. As I recall the old Humbrol authentic range had one JAAF green, one JNAF green and one underside grey whereas the original White Ensign Colourcoats range had at least 4 JNAF greens - a standard dark green and ones supposedly used by Mitsubishi, Nakajima and Kawanishi, though the current range has left out the individual manufacturer variations as I believe Jamie's reseach sources suggests they were not valid. Books and articles I have read suggest JAAF green also came in a variety of shades with more or less brown - one variant supposedly being like US OD, and eyewitness reports refer to brown, blue and black finishes on Oscars and the like.

For those unfamiliar with the colour schemes Jamie recommends Nick Millman's web site.

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/

This should be fun!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

It will be interesting to see the takes on wartime Japanese paint.

It's all gotten so complicated from back when I were a lad

A Zero was white, end of story :)

I'm just glad I picked something completely different for this GB, although having looked at the kit today, I'm rethinking.

It's a lot of plastic for my build speed

/P

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

It's all gotten so complicated from back when I were a lad

Yes, some of the eye witness accounts either in China or was it Pearl Harbor mentioned white Zero's though I think perhaps that was just faded light gray - White Ensign did do a very pale overall light grey.

There were also claims of green Zeros and yellow Vals which has been variously explained as the greenish grey used by Mitsubishi (those built by Nakajima were apparently browner) and the application of varnish over the grey giving it a yellow tinge. As the saying goes "You pays your money and takes your pick" and nobody can absolutely say you are wrong though they may try!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

To avoid one of my long winded rants in a build thread I have put a brief (at least for me) guide to the wartime Japanese numbering/naming system for their planes in the reference section. Most of you will know it anyway but it confused me for many years until I saw it explained and it may help somebody get their head around it when we start spouting Ki-43-II Kai Hayabusa or B5N2 Type 97 Carrier Attack Bomber Model 12 at them.😆

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah nuts- I was looking at a Hasegawa Mitsubishi Mu-2 at a show this past weekend, trying to find... justification... to buy it.  It was meant to be the military version, which put me off a bit, but had I remembered this GB I could easily have talked myself into it.  Ah well, now I'll have to actually make up my mind from among what's already in my stash.

bob

8 hours ago, psdavidson said:

Not to mention the box-art for the Airfix Ki-46 Dinah, with the all-white Dinah taking off under attack from Corsairs - it was still a fantastic piece of work and I don't doubt it did its job in helping shift a lot of kits :) 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-295-mitsubishi-dinah--164138

... and I nearly forgot, the white D3A1 Val:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-294-aichi-d3ai-val--148402

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

the original White Ensign Colourcoats range had at least 4 JNAF greens

In fairness to the WEM guys the Kawanishi Green was colour-matched to the surviving example of the H8K Emily that was in the USA for a time, but which had been repainted by the Americans after the war. It went back to Japan in the late 1970's and has subsequently been refurbished in what looks a very good representation of the D1 Deep Green Black colour but prior to that it was quite a bright Ivy-green sort of a colour which was used as a reference for decades.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have time for my original grandiose plans (I'm sure Col. will be disappointed), but I do have a simpler back up plan fill the gap.

And I'll also be continuing on w/ my F-4EJ build that was started during the F-4 STGB.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235098682-phantom-musings-build-1-oceanic-jasdf-f-4ej-kai/  Suffice to say, it's a wee bit over 25%.  :lol:
51924389729_1340b9d280_c.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone have any experience of the Tamiya silver plated 1/72 Zero kit? I bought one from Malcs Models in Ilkeston yesterday as I hadn't seen one before.

1141727-16590-23-720.jpg

The plastic sprues are metallic silver colour so it might help me with the paint chipping. Any tips and tricks would be gratefully received.

The detail on the kit is really good so I might do this after my Ki-79b.

• Like 2

I don't have experience of that kit, but usually the advice is to (at least) scrape the mating surfaces down to "naked" plastic, so that they'll actually stick.

15 hours ago, PeterB said:

Yes, some of the eye witness accounts either in China or was it Pearl Harbor mentioned white Zero's though I think perhaps that was just faded light gray - White Ensign did do a very pale overall light grey.

There were also claims of green Zeros and yellow Vals...

I just got the image of a young sailor pausing while under attack at Pearl to think, "Boy, those sure are nice looking aircraft, but what exactly is that color they're painted in?"

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have time for my original grandiose plans (I'm sure Col. will be disappointed), but I do have a simpler back up plan fill the gap.

And I'll also be continuing on w/ my F-4EJ build that was started during the F-4 STGB.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235098682-phantom-musings-build-1-oceanic-jasdf-f-4ej-kai/  Suffice to say, it's a wee bit over 25%.  :lol:
51924389729_1340b9d280_c.jpg

yes you do need to get this one finished!  I may even get my F.2 finished from the F-16 STGB as well........maybe! :D

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I don't have experience of that kit, but usually the advice is to (at least) scrape the mating surfaces down to "naked" plastic, so that they'll actually stick.

I just got the image of a young sailor pausing while under attack at Pearl to think, "Boy, those sure are nice looking aircraft, but what exactly is that color they're painted in?"

Yes, that is one of the reasons eyewitness accounts have to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes. Given that at least one Zero crashed in a built up area and was reasonably intact according to pics then they would have had a better view of that - from what I rmember of the photo it was certainly a light colour scheme.

All of my "first phase" of JNAF kits were painted in the old Humbrol Authentic IJN Green colour which I always liked - must have gone through a few tins as I used it on my Betty, Mavis and Emily! I have not used them yet but judging by the jars the Gunze H59 looks a fairly similar colour whilst the Tamiya XF 11 looks a but yellower - being Japanese companies you might have though they were likely to get it right but who knows! Having said that it seems both the quality and painting standards decreased somewhat towards the end of the war so variations are likely. Even at the start of the war there seems to have been quite a bit of paint peeling off as in this Kate during the campaign in the Indian Ocean.

kate 002-crop

though I suppose that might have been a deliberate attempt at a quick camo scheme - incidentally, the green is the WEM Nakajima version. For comparison here are their Mitsubishi and Kawanishi versions.

planes 009 DSC00945

together with the bog standard black green on the Irving and a Tamiya greenish grey on the Val.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

I'd like to join the group build with this kit, I think it's less than 25% complete but I'd appreciate a ruling.

y4m5qff0RfnONnB6hFldkSMIlYQCuVmijFZXH8Tw

Tamiya 1:24 Toyota Celsior.

y4mhmZmlD8SGFil9dPZLpYpwj1L2vZz0BusWf26j

Some parts are in primer, some are in paint.

y4mojkRgNtc81F2tu7BPp9MYrkPN6gbXHIa79AU5

I've got some "carpet" and some Lexus emblems, so it will get a minor identity change like a grey import car that has been rebadged as the equivalent Lexus LS400.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I'd like to join the group build with this kit, I think it's less than 25% complete but I'd appreciate a ruling.

You're fine with that.  Still lots of assembly and finishing work to go.  Look forward to seeing it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, johnlambert said:

y4m5qff0RfnONnB6hFldkSMIlYQCuVmijFZXH8Tw

Tamiya 1:24 Toyota Celsior.

y4mhmZmlD8SGFil9dPZLpYpwj1L2vZz0BusWf26j

Some parts are in primer, some are in paint.

y4mojkRgNtc81F2tu7BPp9MYrkPN6gbXHIa79AU5

I've got some "carpet" and some Lexus emblems, so it will get a minor identity change like a grey import car that has been rebadged as the equivalent Lexus LS400.

As Chris said, this one's fine go for it....and I think you might be the first car in the build as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

CFF33-EFB-1-EA3-4352-8-A50-24206-A33-AEA€5 how could I not.

When Revell UK started releasing their range of kits to compete with Airfix back in the 1960's I bought this and thought it was ruddy good, in spite of my crude attempt at the mottle. OK its a bit dated by now but should make up into a nice looking model. I did green blotches over light grey but some sources will tell you the base colour should be NMF and there is some debate about whether or not they carried their Hinomaru on the white home defence "bandages" ie wide stripes on the fuselage and wings, but I believe Revell say their later release like this one is based at Okinawa so that probably does not apply. The decs in my original one left gaps in the white "Z" on the tail where there should have been white or possibly yellow "stars" and I don't think they included the stripe down the length of the fuselage which was a pain to paint. Incidentally I believe the colour of the stripe indicated the "Chutai" (Squadron) within the "Sentai"(Group or Wing) and could be blue, yellow, red and perhaps also white - I see this one is blue but mine was probably red or yellow. Some planes flown by Kobyashi (which is who Revell say is the pilot I think) had a blue upper stripe and a central white one at times according to Osprey Aces 114. I would imagine the decs in this boxing are rather better.

Have fun with this.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

紳士淑女があなたのエンジンを始動する準備をします、楽しみはもうすぐ始まります!

Shinshi shukujo ga anata no enjin o shidō suru junbi o shimasu, tanoshimi wa mōsugu hajimarimasu!

Ladies and gentlemen get ready to start your engines, the fun is about to begin!

This time tomorrow after spending a day stuffing yourselves with easter eggs the fun will begin.

(I can only assume Google translate is working....else I have just declared war with Japan..... or told everyone that my gentleman bits are rather large!  :rofl2:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

You could say Japanese car fans and ancient Egyptians are alike- They both worship Datsun.

Q: Why do Japanese Sumo Wrestlers shave their legs?

A: So you can tell them apart from the feminists.

Q: Why are there never any Japanese bingo players?

A: They always disappear after they hear B-29

Q: What has 2 wings and a halo?

A: A Japanese telephone, Wing-wing, halo?

A little japanese breed dog bit a man and the owner got the shitzued out of him!

A Japanese man walked into the currency exchange in New York City with 2000 yen and walked out with $72.

The following week, he walked in with another 2000 yen, and was handed $66.

He asked the teller why he got less money that week than the previous week.

The teller said, "Fluctuations."

The Japanese man stormed out, and just before slamming the door, turned around and shouted, "Fluc you Amelicans, too!"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

You could say Japanese car fans and ancient Egyptians are alike- They both worship Datsun.

Q: Why do Japanese Sumo Wrestlers shave their legs?

A: So you can tell them apart from the feminists.

Q: Why are there never any Japanese bingo players?

A: They always disappear after they hear B-29

Q: What has 2 wings and a halo?

A: A Japanese telephone, Wing-wing, halo?

A little japanese breed dog bit a man and the owner got the shitzued out of him!

A Japanese man walked into the currency exchange in New York City with 2000 yen and walked out with $72.

The following week, he walked in with another 2000 yen, and was handed $66.

He asked the teller why he got less money that week than the previous week.

The teller said, "Fluctuations."

The Japanese man stormed out, and just before slamming the door, turned around and shouted, "Fluc you Amelicans, too!"

Rim,Rim,Rim,Rimshot! trickyrich, our very own Rodney Dangerfield,

• Haha 2

Well, this is embarrassing; I was composing a message to say that I'd have to delay the start of my build for this GB by six weeks or so due to an imminent house move when I discovered that I've not actually signed up to the GB!

Uh, I might sign up for this GB after I move house, then...

Yours in confusion,

Jack

• Haha 3