Spot of the day, Part 4

keefr22

On a walk today when I spotted these nice old Chevy trucks.  I'm really surprised I never noticed these before - I walk around here a lot, so a treat to see:

51231394639_356255517a_b.jpg

51229919117_ba6ef258fa_b.jpg

Two nice sedan deliveries  - maybe 15 or so years in age apart (mid 30's to early 50's).  The real highlight though came when I texted the pictures to my dad - he's 84 and a dedicated car enthusiast.  When we talked later he said that he remembers seeing trucks similar to the green one, driving in his neighborhood as a boy, growing up in San Francisco!  He said one truck, run by a farmer would drive through the neighborhood, selling fresh produce door to door.  Then, later in the week another would drive through, the driver yelling "rags, bottles and bags!" - a recycler!  What a neat story - and ha, had to chuckle, as now we have all sorts of nhood deliveries, and, the trash is sorted by recyclable, green and general trash - and here thought we were so modern with our hipster Bay Area living! hahaha 😁 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Same here,the Quattro looks tasty as well....

Was a Sport quattro , Audi press fleet plates on . It just looks all out of proportion , but my goodness so  aggressive  !

Gary . 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And it's lovely! Probably worth around £25K now too! 

I'll have the orange and lime green 3.0 CSL's please!

Keith

A lottery win wouldn't be enough to fill the wish list from the Bicester display  !

Gary . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Amongst all the supercar stuff , the long gone everyday stuff really appeals to me . The Mini Clubman was original paint apparently  !! The Countach left later on and those 6 carburettors were coughing  a bit !! 

Gary . 

I know what you mean about the formerly everyday but now rare cars being more interesting. My neighborhood was overrun with Volvo 240s in the 1980s, so it makes me happy that there's a nearby house with a matching 240 wagon and sedan in a very 1980s Volvo blue standing out in the ocean of small SUVs in various shades of metallic grey. 

• Like 3

@Sabrejet That 'Hideous' car. Something like that was once on the market to use up the mechanical bits from rusty XJ6 Jags. 

I'm not sure if it's the same thing. It could have been smaller, someone may remember a name?

I too am spoilt for choice of the rest of the cars there. Thanks.

@Stickframe Love those Sedan deliveries. The grill alone is gorgeous.

Today, at around 13:00, Northbound on the A15 at Caenby Corner roundabout North of Lincoln. On a trailer, was the General Lee!

A little later on the A631 Eastbound was a very nice late chrome bumper MGB GT in tartan red.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

someone may remember a name?

Pete, see Steve's post a few above - he'd make a good detective!

Keith

PS the lack of post numbers these days is a bit of a pain....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Pete, see Steve's post a few above

Ah, I missed the link. It isn't the prettiest thing. Looks like it's covered in band aid plasters. 

I'm still hoping that someone remembers the car I was thinking of though. Or maybe it was a one off?

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ah, I missed the link. It isn't the prettiest thing. Looks like it's covered in band aid plasters. 

I'm still hoping that someone remembers the car I was thinking of though. Or maybe it was a one off?

Ronart or Adams roadster?   - Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Nowt flash, saw a red B prefix 2CV on Saturday.

I saw a blue 2CV with a French (or French-style) number plates today.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

@Sabrejet That 'Hideous' car. Something like that was once on the market to use up the mechanical bits from rusty XJ6 Jags. 

I'm not sure if it's the same thing. It could have been smaller, someone may remember a name?

Kougar maybe?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Windy37 said:

I think being unable to attend classic car shows for a year has made attending again more enjoyable ! 
Gary . 

Got to agree with that, think the last one I went to was late 2019. And judging by the queue to get in yesterday I don't think we're the only ones glad to get back to them.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Stickframe said:

On a walk today when I spotted these nice old Chevy trucks.  I'm really surprised I never noticed these before - I walk around here a lot, so a treat to see:

Two nice sedan deliveries  - maybe 15 or so years in age apart (mid 30's to early 50's).  T

The green one is a '42 (rare) or more likely a '46 or early '47.  The red one looks like it has vent windows (I think?), so that would make it '51 or '52.   Both styles were in production concurrently as they changed over in 1947.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Six97s, thanks! after reading your reply, I was curious about the year of the green truck.  The grill really had me fooled, as it has both horizontal and vertical louvers/ribs?🤨  After some searches, I think it's a 1943, and evidently, as you point out, pretty rare.  In fairness to dad, when we talked, I didn't even ask him about the years!  🤦‍♂️ what a dummy I am! He really knows cars, and specifically GM from the 30's to early 70's! I should have asked!  Until recently he'd serve as a judge at car shows and concours events!  Dad knows bodywork and style differences by year, trim packages, color combos etc, remarkably, by memory!  I should have asked - haha, I was more interested in his story as a kid in SF!  

Thanks again,

Nick 

• Like 1

Did VW make a Harlequin Lupo, or did I see someone's DIY effort?   More interesting (to me anyway) a Triumph 2500 with a side exit exhaust - a local car I see regularly, but the first time I've seen it moving and heard it.

• Like 2

Saw a black 70 plate BMW 840i M, four door saloon today. Not overly keen on big beemers but this looked very swish in black. It even had indicators! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It was the second Gaydon Gathering at the British Motor Museum yesterday, I was so tired when I finally got in that I couldn't post the photos last night.

y4mGCMl89X7y49s55TDIWxa3JUSc8UwRqVIK1D8l

Jaguar XK120 OTS, the 15-inch wire wheels and front indicators make it look a bit like a replica but as far as I can tell it's the real deal.

y4myhDJvENSZMqRe8tIyj38boIL2gzBKMONASqkN

It's not just British cars.  The Renault 4 was very smart and I've got a soft spot for Citroen BXs because (or despite) I owned two.

y4maWogDeZ-gRTYiYc9kDep72vscVb50B6HeJayh

Alvis TF21 (I think) which looked quite good and lowered E38 BMW 7-series.

y4mz5Tx70J5CCYm-MDaSGbTpY9Aq4DSQ0XgvAHpC

One for the JDM fans, Toyota Trueno (not sure about spelling).

y4meNaQCgYvIRZYpedu6Zi-cxCjrVNZ50fuD7sip

My transport for the evening, my friend's TVR S2.

• Like 9

An aside; afair the symbol for Alvis was a rabbit. On pre-WW2 cars the stance of the rabbit and the way its ears were was changed every year, thus those in the know could date a car by the rabbit on the top of the radiator (usually, until owners swopped them about)

• Like 4