Airfix 1:48 Gloster Javelin

Now that's a great job, Mr. Madman. Excellent craftsmanship, very well done! Why oh why can't Airfix scale this down into my preferred 1:72 scale? I dread having to re-scribe yet another one of their old tool kits.  :cry:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

That model has presence. Its gonna dominate a contest table just out of sheer size.

Beautiful job. Have the kit in the stash myself and i'd love to build it one of these days.

-d-

• Like 1

Really great work mate, its beautiful!

I have this in my stash that i'd like to get on to soon; how did you go about the roundels on the top section of the wing? To me the first thing I noticed was how to go about getting the roundel decal to fit over the vortex generators?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RiotRolo said:

Really great work mate, its beautiful!

I have this in my stash that i'd like to get on to soon; how did you go about the roundels on the top section of the wing? To me the first thing I noticed was how to go about getting the roundel decal to fit over the vortex generators?

Hi the roundels were a pain to go down, there are holes in the decal for the vortex generators to fit through which isn’t to much of a problem but there is another prominent feature that the decal needs to conform to and here is where I had trouble which need loads of decal setting solution but both roundels still split on me so just had to touch up with paint 👍

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 12:21 PM, Spitfire madman said:

Hi the roundels were a pain to go down, there are holes in the decal for the vortex generators to fit through which isn’t to much of a problem but there is another prominent feature that the decal needs to conform to and here is where I had trouble which need loads of decal setting solution but both roundels still split on me so just had to touch up with paint 👍

Thank you mate, ill make sure to keep an eye out once I get to the roundels then! :) 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

A pity Airfix were less than helpful in advising on underwing loading. About 80% of Javelin models I have seen are inaccurate.  I'm aware of the choice of artistic licence but after paying a lot of money a modeller should at least have a choice of historical accuracy. No Javelin ever flew as depicted in this model, with missiles on the inner pylons and tanks on the outer.  An FAW9R (only forty built) had a tank pylon as inner and a missile pylon as outer - missile pylons could not carry tanks and tank pylons could no carry missiles. In a few instances it was neccessary to carry four tanks, 29 Sqn to Zambia for example.  This required a change of the outer pylon to a tank pylon, which had to be reversed after ferrying to enable the aircraft to be armed.  No other Javelins except forty FAW9Rs could carry underwing tanks, before conversion to 9R ( R stands for Range, not refuelling), the aircraft with refuelling probes were FAW9(F/R) and were only used by 23 and 64 Sqns.  Also, as on many models the fin flash is 1/4" too tall - I believe Airfix intended that the flash should be applied before assembly but who does that? Real Javelin fin flashes were 72" wide and 60" high.

Edited by trigger39

On 4/12/2023 at 1:39 PM, trigger39 said:

A pity Airfix were less than helpful in advising on underwing loading. About 80% of Javenin models I have seen are inaccurate.  I'm aware of the choice of artistic licence but after paying a lot of money a modeller should at least have a choice of historical accuracy. No Javelin ever flew as depicted in this model, with missiles on the inner pylons and tanks on the outer.  An FAW9R (only forty built) had a tank pylon as inner and a missile pylon as outer - missile pylons could not carry tanks and tank pylons could no carry missiles. In a few instances it was neccessary to carry four tanks, 29 Sqn to Zambia for example.  This required a change of the outer pylon to a tank pylon, which had to be reversed after ferrying to enable the aircraft to be armed.  No other Javelins except forty FAW9Rs could carry underwing tanks, before conversion to 9R ( R stands for Range, not refuelling), the aircraft with refuelling probes were FAW9(F/R) and were only used by 23 and 64 Sqns.  Also, as on many models the fin flash is 1/4" too tall - I believe Airfix intended that the flash should be applied before assembly but who does that? Real Javelin fin flashes were 72" wide and 60

Thank you for the information I’ll certainly will do more research in future 

• 6 months later...