Airfix 1:48 Gloster Javelin

Beautiful model and I got an education from seeing it. I didn't realize the Javelin carried external wing tanks. Nor did I know they were equipped for inflight refueling. The wing tanks look very similar to the ones carried by the Hunter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I didn't realize the Javelin carried external wing tanks. Nor did I know they were equipped for inflight refueling. The wing tanks look very similar to the ones carried by the Hunter. 

The Mk. 7 introduced underwing pylons but was only capable of carrying Firestreak IR-homing AAMs; the Mk. 8 introduced the capability to carry underwing tanks of 230 gallons capacity each as used on Hunters.  The Mk. 9R finally introduced AAR capability which, strangely, wasn’t offered as a retrofit on the Mk. 8.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job. If I may , I would like to congratulate you on resisting the urge to open the air brakes etc. My good friend was a Javelin fitter and almost has apaplexy when seeing Javelins with everything hanging out. 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lovely model of this Cold War iconic jet.

It reminded me of the late Bryan Philpott who used to be an RAF pilot flying the Javelin.  Bryan was a good friend of mine and we both lived in Newbury. He was a very respected aviation and aircraft modeller/author having written a considerable number of books and magazines articles. Bryan was well known within IPMS and was editor of IPMS magazine until he handed over the editorship to me. Subsequently Paul Beaver took it over from me a couple of years later when work commitments and a house move took over. Paul went on to become a respected member of the Jane's book team and has appeared on TV a number of times in his capacity of a military journalist.

A number of you old timers in IPMS may remember from the 70's the late Bryan for his many aviation articles in IPMS magazine and the old Airfix Magazine when Bruce Quarrie was editor back in the seventies.  Bryan went on to become Mayor of Newbury shortly before he passed away. Paul was also a regular contributor to IPMS may when I was editor, well remembered by me for his copious Leander Frigate articles

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1