1:24 Airfix hellcat F6F-5

Hello everyone, since sometimes they come back, here I am to present my "PROJECT".

As the title suggests, I am working on one of the latest Airfix products, which for my part was much awaited.

It is my wife's gift for Christmas 2019 for which I have been holding the kit for a year.

I must admit that I was rather disappointed especially with regard to the level of detail which, given the scale and the price, I find unacceptable, I do not want to get into the usual modeling talk regarding this topic so I will limit myself to exposing the various improvements.

First of all here are the various aftermarket that I found for this model, I think I will add something else but I want to design and print the various pieces with my resin 3D printer (Anycubic Photon 3D for those interested).

THE KIT AND AFTERMARKET

ANYZ upgrade for the engine (power cables, spark plugs and various line connectors) of excellent workmanship, brass pipes from MASTER, seatbelts from HGW (fantastic is an understatement), Decal from AEROCRAFT MODELS to be integrated with those of the kit(maybe  cockpit detail fromAIRSCALE.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now the comparison between the various pieces of the kit and the one I printed in resin  they are not the definitive pieces as over the past few months I have refined the details, so be satisfied with the quality of the prints and photos made with flash and in hurry

spacer.png

Here's what I mean by poor quality of the kit, ok the limits of plastic, but here they are not wasted (even if looking at the presentation videos it seemed that they had done a superlative job.

spacer.png

Front and rear cylinders; I gave it a coat of paint as I am using a black resin so the details remain a little more visible

spacer.png

The evolution of the main body of the engine, at the bottom the one proposed by the kit completely wrong as a size in fact it does not enter the cylinder ring so you have to reduce it by at least 1.5 mm even here I do not understand how they could have been so wrong. The one on the top right is the semi-final shape as it lacks the housing holes for the cylinders

spacer.png

spacer.png

detail absent in the kit

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Crank case reduction in comparison

distributors

Bendix magneto

Now some renderings of the morore with all the pieces already designed and some images of the pieces ready for resin printing

All this is the result of hundreds of photos found on the net, technical drawings, maintenance and overhaul manuals of the Pratt & withney R2800-10W, tests and retries both in 3D and in print to arrive at a more acceptable detail result as the scale 1 : 24 does not forgive and risks making everything very toy. That's all for now, any help with photos, documents etc. is always welcome.

• Like 8

Hi there,

It looks like you have made some great progress in the 3D design of the engine.  What program have you used for building the 3D parts?  I love the line connectors you have modeled and the information plaque.  WOW!  

Thank you for sharing your work.

Take care,

Chris

Hi Chris.

As a modeling program I use Rhinoceros vers 7 and especially I model whit surfaces & NURBS Then exported in .stl to print the various parts.

Also if  available from this release, SUBDs is good for projects that don't need as high a precision as in this case: the tolerance is 0.01mm and the joints must be precise.

Some components are modeled in polygonal but are those shapes that had a certain margin of tolerance (the upper deflectors of the cylinders for example).

I started with Autodesk's Inventor for the main body parts but then went back to my old love: Rhino which I have been using since its Beta version.

A few updates soon

Cheers

3 hours ago, spartacus2000 said:

Hi Chris.

As a modeling program I use Rhinoceros vers 7 and especially I model whit surfaces & NURBS Then exported in .stl to print the various parts.

Also if  available from this release, SUBDs is good for projects that don't need as high a precision as in this case: the tolerance is 0.01mm and the joints must be precise.

Some components are modeled in polygonal but are those shapes that had a certain margin of tolerance (the upper deflectors of the cylinders for example).

I started with Autodesk's Inventor for the main body parts but then went back to my old love: Rhino which I have been using since its Beta version.

A few updates soon

Cheers

Thank you for getting back to me.  It looks like you have spent a lot of time getting to know the programs.  The modeling is amazing.  

Keep up the good work. 😀

Chris

Hi everyone. Small update: the affected area is the blow crankase. Obviously the J6 piece of the kit is very approximate so you absolutely have to put your hand to it.

This is how it is represented in the original P&W catalog

spacer.png

This instead is the Airfix J6 piece assembled here to check the alignment of the intake manifold of the kit on the resin pieces with positive result apart from the cutting errors in the front

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Analyzing the piece we can see that the engine supports are very approximate (they are those 45 ° cylinders that protrude to the left).

The following are renderings of the pieces so far modeled with some details and final positioning. The work is 80% complete the support needs to be finished, make the manifolds and finish some details of the coupling to the area of the supercharger and carburetor, but this is another piece that brings me closer to the goal.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for now See you next update

• Like 2

Hi Guys here is a small update it is about the anti-vibration coupling between the engine mount and the  engine from the Lord corporation now I have to replicate it 6 times around the mount ring.

I have arranged some holes for an insertion of a metal rod instead of the resin one to have greater solidity in a very stressed but also very small area measures in fact are only about 5mm in circumference x 4 in depth, the ring is only 2.5mm in diameter .

spacer.png

spacer.png

the little pig

spacer.png

for this week it's all

Cheers Marco

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Marco,

I actually joined the forum purely because of your post. 

I’m currently building the 1/24 Hellcat myself and the level of details you’ve added are brilliant. I’ve added a load of Eduard PE to the cockpit, metal landing gear and brass gun barrels. 

I looked at the engine details set but they’ve stopped posting to the uk. 

Would you share your stl files at all?  I’ve got a ultimaker 3D printer and I’d love to print off some better, more detailed parts for it.

Kind regards 

Alan

Edited by Alscalemodels

Hi Alan thanks for the compliments but your request seems impossible to satisfy, I have been working on this project for 2 years and  more than 400 hours of work.

If you are interested you will have to wait for the design, printing and assembly of all the components to be finished to see if everything fits in order to offer a salable product.

Cheer Marco

• Thanks 1

On 16/02/2021 at 10:58, spartacus2000 said:

Hi Alan thanks for the compliments but your request seems impossible to satisfy, I have been working on this project for 2 years and  more than 400 hours of work.

If you are interested you will have to wait for the design, printing and assembly of all the components to be finished to see if everything fits in order to offer a salable product.

Cheer Marco

Hi Marco, 

that’s completely understandable, given the amount of work you’ve put into it. 

I’m sure people, myself included would be happy to pay for the finished product. 

you’re a credit to the model building scene. 

kind regards 

• 2 months later...