About P-51D...

AnttiV

Hello Friends,

I am making a .svg file for printing custom decals for a couple of P-51D Mustangs.
I have information enough to make also the most visible stencils. including the relatively large text block under the cockpit on the left side of the fuselage. I know the text is but there is one thing i need more information.  

On the first line there is an interesting series of numbers: “AAF SPEC. PROJ. NO.” (followed for example: 92710-R) 

Now I am asking if anyone who have such a knowledge, can kindly tell where I can find these numbers? I think they are some kind  of block numbers(?). There are a lot of listings about all P-51 sub types serial numbers but I have not found anything about these “aaf spec.proj.numbers”.

This is certainly NOT a big thing but I am curious if I can get  a correct numbers to the decals. The number can be read from some close ups of the aircrafts, but unfortunately there is not such photo of the items I am building. 

- One of the models is by the way P-51D-5-NA, A9-A “Fools Paradise IV” I am building it from Eduard’s nice 1/48 kit. - Some of us probably remember the old Airfix 1/72 model from 60’s. It was my first kit…

Thank you for advance and Happy New Year!

• Like 1

As Gingerbob said, the AAF Spec. Proj. number is related to the destination of the plane.

The first P-51D-5-NAs to reach the ETO had "SPECIAL PROJECT NO.92700-R" painted above the data block (from pictures of 44-13303, -13316, -13318 and -13350), so it is very likely that Fool's Paradise IV, 44-13309, had the same markings.

Laurent

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen,

Good information!

Thank you for the number of Fool's Paradise IV, Laurent.

I have  looked a good amount of photos searching the AAF.Spec.Proj. numbers in them, and I have noticed the correlation to certain sub-types, TO's and dates. Now they get an explanation. It is sad there are probably no systematic listings of the numbers as Gingerbod said .