On Heather's Workbench - a Luftwaffe Workhorse

A bit of a late catch up with your Heinkel He 111 build Heather. A plane that's on my bucket list, having watched the film Battle of Britain far too many times :sad:.

I've arrived at just the right time to follow your painting, having just taken the plunge with Colourcoats myself.

Looks great, best wishes for the rest!

19 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks great, best wishes for the rest!

Cheers m'dear!

50996565376_f7d2d0a202_b.jpg

Somewhere in that picture you can find eight 1/43rd scale Maunsell coach bogies that have had their outer parts - steady, Ced! - squirted with a layer of Hev's Patent Grot. That’s roughly 50:50 matt black and dark earth to you mortals. I managed to get that far before my pot of matt black enamel ran out. I’ve ordered fresh supplies, but that could be a while getting here. I think the makers ship it by canal and horse-drawn narrow boat...

50996684577_94f3822c21_b.jpg

By rights, then, I should be getting on and constructing the rest of the final coach. However, while the spraying gear is set up, it makes much more sense to finish the Heinkel. Detail painting of props and spinners, plus sundry items not yet attached to the main aircraft to avoid them succumbing to my clumsiness.

50996565216_80580571da_b.jpg

Three coats of Humbrol gloss clear. The first was sprayed, the second and third hairy sticked. You may have noticed a difference in the finish between the RLM 70 and 71 applied from the ColourCoats tinlets. The 71 has a definite satin finish to it. The oddest thing, to me at least, is the acrylic gloss coat seems to be absorbed into the matt finish RLM 70. You can still see a difference after three coats. It’s frustrating and fascinating at the same time. 

Be that as it may, I deem things shiny enough to get some stickers on this thing. As it came from a gift set, only the main national and unit markings are on the sheet. This is probably a good thing, as the downloaded instruction sheet for the H-6 variant of this kit showed a whole sheet of stencils. :frantic: Then again, I would have liked the propeller badges. Perhaps I’ll find an aftermarket set of such things one day.

Right, sticker time!

• Like 10

50996239358_835b560c60_b.jpg

50996239293_100bb91633_b.jpg

Just that naughty tail fin marking to do. That’s a bit tricksy, as it’s a two-parter, black with a white border. I’ll let the other stuff dry a bit more before I tackle it.

As I found with the Bf109 from the same gift set, the black and white markings are quite thick and don’t really want to settle nicely into panel lines at all. They do give in eventually, but not without a lot of setting solutions and swearing. I’ve even managed to split the darned things while working them. There’s a lot to be said for making masks and painting the larger crosses.

Anyway, fingers crossed I’ll have no silvering.

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

That’s a bit tricksy, as it’s a two-parter,

I think for these buying a set of un-bifurcated symbols from Hannants is well worth while, esp. as in many kits you don't get the naughty bit in any form whatsover.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

Just now, ckw said:

I think for these buying a set of un-bifurcated symbols from Hannants is well worth while, esp. as in many kits you don't get the naughty bit in any form whatsover.

Mine come from a Hannants set. I’m not sure why they recommend the split set for the "early" He111, but there you go. Perhaps I’m misreading their directions. Anyway, all done now. Just getting them to settle down over the depressions where the rudder operating quadrant fits. Whose bright idea at the RLM was it to apply the marking dead centre on the fin and rudder, no matter what was in the way? :rolleyes::lol:

• Like 4

I try to avoid doing models with said same tail markings, but I have two decal sheets of same in the decal box. I shal briefly lapse this rule for the Bf109 GB as there’s one build I’ve decided I must do and have no option but to have tail markings :) 

df67ac24-8c4b-47f2-abf5-7906f715d07e.jpeHungarian airforce…

50706000157_1e2469e9a3_c.jpg

Tailmarking conveniently painted out on the original…

50490195167_f2b7b93f70_c.jpgCaptured…

50490043881_253149c852_c.jpgSold to the Japanese… 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

If I’d gone with my original plan of painting the black distemper, I could have avoided the marking. As I’ve opted for the standard day camo, it must be applied.

I’m one of those that completely understands and accepts the various bans of the mark, but I like to build historically accurate models so they are all seen in context. Leaving it off would be like not flying a Union Flag or White Ensign on a Royal Navy ship. I hope my choice isn’t seen as glorifying the mark at all - after all, it originates many centuries before as a mark of peace, and was also used by other air forces in Europe.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I’m one of those that completely understands and accepts the various bans of the mark, but I like to build historically accurate models so they are all seen in context. Leaving it off would be like not flying a Union Flag or White Ensign on a Royal Navy ship. I hope my choice isn’t seen as glorifying the mark at all - after all, it originates many centuries before as a mark of peace, and was also used by other air forces in Europe.

I completely agree. But like white sugar I try to cut down not out :) 

Actually I do remember that several British squadrons carried the same mark on their wheels( funny how you don’t see those colourschemes anymore) and of course there’s the Finnish airforce.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

A quick check on the stash shows I still have seven Luftwaffe subjects to build to complete my current obsession. Things might get ugly when I turn my attention to the Mediterranean, and let’s not start to think about the Russo-Finnish Winter War… :frantic:

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Three coats of Humbrol gloss clear. The first was sprayed, the second and third hairy sticked. You may have noticed a difference in the finish between the RLM 70 and 71 applied from the ColourCoats tinlets. The 71 has a definite satin finish to it. The oddest thing, to me at least, is the acrylic gloss coat seems to be absorbed into the matt finish RLM 70. You can still see a difference after three coats. It’s frustrating and fascinating at the same time. 

Excellent painting job, Heather! 👍 The clear coating can be tricky, it depends on surfaces and paint/thinner ratio too.

Keep up the good work!

51 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Nikolay! I’m not too bothered as long as there’s enough of a shine for the transfers. As it is, I think there’s some silvering on the fuselage codes, which I’ll deal with tomorrow.

50996907973_75977c7558_b.jpg

I decided to push on and get the matt varnish on. So, the props and fronts to the engines are installed, the rudder quadrant and pitot went in, and a small amount of paint got retouched. It’s looking the part now. I must leave it alone overnight to let the varnish dry thoroughly. If it needs it, I’ll sort out another coat to even things out tomorrow.

At this rate, there’ll be an RFI entry some time tomorrow!

• Like 14

This is looking grand, Heather.  One day I'll be able to make them look like this....  Honest!

As an aside, I ordered a sheet of crooked crosses from Hannants a while ago; the Jewish part of me felt confused.  However, as stated above it was a real thing and therefore (after some soul searching) I include it.

• Like 4

What a superb result on this one Heather, great build with outstanding paintwork!

Looking forward to what ever is next

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hamden said:

What a superb result on this one Heather, great build with outstanding paintwork!

Thanks Roger! I’m still learning the paint techniques, but I think I’m getting there. What’s next? Well, there's the Anything But Injection group build heading this way. I’ve got some interesting kits that fit into that.

10 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

This is looking grand, Heather.  One day I'll be able to make them look like this....  Honest!

Practice, practice, practice - but above all, just have fun. As for the symbol, we must know of and understand these things, must never forget what they stood for so it can never happen again, but also be careful not to airbrush our past.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

the Jewish part of me felt confused.  However, as stated above it was a real thing and therefore (after some soul searching) I include it.

Ditto. The irony being that the rest of my household are are anti swastika on my models, but aren’t of Jewish ancestry ( well my daughter is) whereas I am.

But I can’t abide historical inaccuracy in my models.

On a related note I watched a very good documentary with Lucy Worsley on the Blitz the other night more social history and not usually my thing but very well done. But it really drove home the human impact of the bombing, so even without tail markings it probably not a good idea to dwell too much on the purpose of what we model.

Great work on the Heinkel and apologies if I keep hijacking the thread :) 

• Like 4

On 1/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, alt-92 said:

Oh, and the black distemper was painted over the RLM65 - have you thought about chipping that black off and exposing the 65? :P

This looks like an interesting product for reproducing the black distemper:

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/765-washable-black.html

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Thanks Nikolay! I’m not too bothered as long as there’s enough of a shine for the transfers. As it is, I think there’s some silvering on the fuselage codes, which I’ll deal with tomorrow. +++

I decided to push on and get the matt varnish on. So, the props and fronts to the engines are installed, the rudder quadrant and pitot went in, and a small amount of paint got retouched. It’s looking the part now. +++

Checking a few color photographs it seems the "decals" on the real thing were more glossy than the flat camo paint.

http://thirdreichcolorpictures.blogspot.com/2010/11/heinkel-he-111-in-color.html

(esp. 2nd and 3rd pic)

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hook said:

This looks like an interesting product for reproducing the black distemper:

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/765-washable-black.html

Thanks Andre. I’ll check that out for when I get round to the He115. I want to do a scheme that was used by a minelaying squadron, so that will be fun.

51000088181_f31c42a44b_b.jpg

I am very pleased with the matt varnish. It’s W&N Galeria acrylic, thinned 50:50-ish with boiled water for airbrushing. It’s taken a couple of coats here and there, but to my eye it has just the right amount of dullness.

Masks have come off. Most of them came away without excessive protest. The vinyl masks do tend to leave a little adhesive residue behind, but that can be dealt with, either by gently dabbing the affected area with a small piece of tape or by cleaning with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud. I’ve managed to insert the machine guns and stuck on the final vulnerable parts like the trailing W/T aerial tube and the upper radio mast. Some final paint, chiefly the exhausts, and rigging a radio wire, and a tiny bit of weathering here and there, and I think this can be called finished. 

In which case, I need to clear the bench for some photography.

• Like 16