On Heather's Workbench - a Luftwaffe Workhorse

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was a slightly longer interval than intended. I blame work.

50989285791_10961b980c_b.jpg

I am getting back into proper work again, and these comprise two of a four coach set that’s been stalled since 2019. Other stuff, like life and another commission stalled them. Well, that’s my excuse. They’re actually injection moulded styrene, with PE and cast brass details, and a constant 1/43rd scale.

50988583168_3b86c2d70e_b.jpg

This is the fourth pair of bogies for the coaches. They are etched brass with cast brass and injection moulded detail. They’re complete with spring suspension on each wheel, just like the real thing. Would you be surprised to learn they take most of a week to assemble? Well, they do. I timed it. I am very glad I have no more of the beggars to build for this commission!

Anyway, while all that was going on, the poor old Heinkel stared at me balefully, half-painted, from the cabinet.

50989285456_51846651a8_b.jpg

So, I decided, what with the rather unseasonably warm weather, today might be a good day for some airbrushing. Of course, I had to mask the undersides. That took me an hour or so. This particular scheme has the upper camo tucking under the leading edges of wings and tailplane, so that was fun. I have actually decided to leave this model in the day bomber scheme. I know I wittered on about the night finish, but I think I’ll leave that for a scheme on a Heinkel He115 I have in the stash. 

50988583018_1650e949ae_b.jpg

That's a coat of ColourCoats RLM 70 all over the shop. I will leave that until tomorrow, then mask for RLM 71. I shall also be using the paint booth to airbrush the four sets of bogies, and quite possibly the coach underframes. That way I don’t need to pack it all away again… :whistle:

• Like 13

50988902868_7694ed16fe_b.jpg

Have I mentioned I’m a fan of ColourCoats? Within an hour, the first coat was touch dry and ready to be masked. I’m doing a wing at a time, partly because masking the splinter is tedious and complicated and partly because it leaves the other wing free for handling. I used this technique when I painted my Ju52 last year. 

So, a first blush of RLM 71 on the port wing. After our evening meal, I will do the same for the starboard. If there’s still time before bedtime, I’ll have a bash at the fuselage.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Have I mentioned I’m a fan of ColourCoats?

I must say I'm really enjoying using CC paints, especially now I'm using an airbrush.  I found them tricky to brush-paint (although when you get it right they still look great) but through an airbrush I think they're excellent.

Anyway, your He111 is looking really good.  I'm really enjoying seeing it develop.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Have I mentioned I’m a fan of ColourCoats

4 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I must say I'm really enjoying using CC paints

They are such beautiful paints to use. Idiotproof and bulletproof. They must be if I can use them.

Beautiful work on the Heinkel.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Does look well. Are cc paints enamels?

I started with humbrol and then Tamiya and a smattering of AK and Mr Colour but Ive now ordered a Hataka Luftwaffe set ahead of the Me 109 GB all acrylics btw.  

For some reason I seem to be rediscovering my stock of Humbrol paints at try he moment.

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Well, that was a slightly longer interval than intended. I blame work.

50989285791_10961b980c_b.jpg

I am getting back into proper work again, and these comprise two of a four coach set that’s been stalled since 2019. Other stuff, like life and another commission stalled them. Well, that’s my excuse. They’re actually injection moulded styrene, with PE and cast brass details, and a constant 1/43rd scale.

50988583168_3b86c2d70e_b.jpg

This is the fourth pair of bogies for the coaches. They are etched brass with cast brass and injection moulded detail. They’re complete with spring suspension on each wheel, just like the real thing. Would you be surprised to learn they take most of a week to assemble? Well, they do. I timed it. I am very glad I have no more of the beggars to build for this commission!

Anyway, while all that was going on, the poor old Heinkel stared at me balefully, half-painted, from the cabinet.

50989285456_51846651a8_b.jpg

So, I decided, what with the rather unseasonably warm weather, today might be a good day for some airbrushing. Of course, I had to mask the undersides. That took me an hour or so. This particular scheme has the upper camo tucking under the leading edges of wings and tailplane, so that was fun. I have actually decided to leave this model in the day bomber scheme. I know I wittered on about the night finish, but I think I’ll leave that for a scheme on a Heinkel He115 I have in the stash. 

50988583018_1650e949ae_b.jpg

That's a coat of ColourCoats RLM 70 all over the shop. I will leave that until tomorrow, then mask for RLM 71. I shall also be using the paint booth to airbrush the four sets of bogies, and quite possibly the coach underframes. That way I don’t need to pack it all away again… :whistle:

Looking great, Heather, rails and wings! :) 

9 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

They are. The secret is using the CC thinners, ideally, and lowish pressure in the brush. 

Ah, never did get the hang of airbrushing Enamels. Will stick with my acrylics for now. The Hataka are supposed to be good.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

They are. The secret is using the CC thinners, ideally, and lowish pressure in the brush. 

Agreed; get them good and thin with CC thinners and barely blow the paint on. Works for me. 

• Like 2

50989499298_98b7808378_b.jpg

See what I mean about the masking? Working on a three-dimensional shape to apply tape based on a two-dimensional drawing… :frantic:

By the way, I’m trying out the masking tape now supplied by Humbrol. It’s like the Tamiya stuff, and I quite like it. It doesn’t really like to stick to itself, and can be a bit recalcitrant on awkward curves and over bumps, but I think it works out cheap enough to use in bulk. A set of three 18m long rolls with 1mm, 3mm and 6mm widths. I’d like to see a 10mm or 18mm, but there’s always Tamiya and similar for that. 

50989499188_7c06d3d4f1_b.jpg

Before we know where we are, it is done!

50989499068_cbea70288d_b.jpg

Underneath.

You know what's even better? I haven’t had one tiny bit of paint lifting with the tape. Not a thing. :yahoo: Perhaps my theory about using enamel as a primer actually worked. I suspect it’s also got something to do with the several weeks the base coat and RLM 65 have had to harden, but bear in mind none of the top camo colours lifted either, and they’ve only had a couple of hours drying.

Anyway, I’ll leave the model to dry for a couple of days before I get a gloss coat on, then time for the transfers! 

• Like 20

1 minute ago, TheBaron said:

really crisp, clean results to be proud of.

I am really pleased at the result. It is way better than I’d hoped or even expected. In fact, I’m tempted to say this is probably the best paint job I’ve yet managed. There’s still plenty I can cods up, but for now I shall bask in my achievement.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

partly because masking the splinter is tedious and complicated

Isn't it though? At least they're straight edges. I see you got the spiky bit on the fuselage spine done nicely, that's the particular bit I dislike the most :D 

7 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

still plenty I can cods up

Ooh nice use of Middle English swearing *tips hat* :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Interested to see how the black goes on

Sorry to disappoint, Ced, but I’ve decided not to go with the black distemper on this model. I’ll save it for an He115 floatplane I’ve got stashed.

• Like 1

Oh well Heather. It would be a shame to cover up that lovely underside :)

(Notice I'm avoiding 'bottom'. Feeling very polite this morning!)

• Haha 6