On Heather's Workbench - a Luftwaffe Workhorse

If you follow my ramblings to any degree you will know - aside from my obsession with 1940, which is a given by now I'd have thought - I haven't a lot of space available to display finished models. To deal with that to some degree, at least until I can afford/find the time to install a much better display cabinet arrangement, I've been boxing up finished models for storage. This has meant I can at last begin to consider building some of the larger kits in the stash. I admit to being more than a little bored with small planes at the moment, and getting my teeth into something larger will be a lot more interesting. You can blame my Heller Ju52 build for firing off my interest in bigger models again. The last really big model before that had been the Airfix Whitley, so long ago I can't even remember when I built it!

I sat contemplating the stash for a while, considering a choice for the first build of 2021. There is the nice new Revell Ju88A-1, or I could dig into that huge Italeri Sunderland box. Perhaps the Trumpeter Focke-Wulf Fw200, or what about the Airfix Wellington MkIc? What about some of the older kits that will need some love and care to put together, like the Matchbox Stranraer or Airfix Short Stirling? Some of the other kits, like the Valom Bristol Bombay and the various Heller French bombers, are earmarked for group builds during the year, so they were out.

Then my eye settled on a dusty polythene bag resting at the top of all the boxes.

50783590612_75e8121a49_b.jpg

Surely it was about time this lonely specimen was given a chance to shine? What is it? Well, some of you might be able to work it out. Let's string the rest along for a bit.

50783590857_8313a3f4b4_b.jpg

A few years ago, Airfix produced a gift box for the Battle of Britain 75th anniversary. In the box were the then current new tool kits for Messerschmitt Bf109E, Hawker Hurricane MkI, Spitfire MkIa and … the Heinkel He111P-2. At around forty quid, I thought the box of kits was pretty good value, and gave me a head start on key elements in my 1940 and Battle of Britain collection. 

Spool forward to the present, and the box is long gone. The nasty little paint pots are mostly dead and buried, and the two - yes, two! - brushes long consigned to history. I think the tubes of cement are in a drawer. The three fighters have been put together and displayed for ages, but the poor old Heinkel was left mouldering on the shelf, still in its original poly bag, biding its time. Other Luftwaffe bombers found their time on the bench, so it was only the He111 that remained unbuilt. It was just too big to fit in the cabinet with all the other models. 

50782724268_c7e7815ba9_b.jpg

It wasn't forgotten, though. I would occasionally consider whether the time and space were right to make a start. I bought a masking set, I carefully preserved the transfers, but the time never really felt right.

Until now. 2021 sees the planets align and all the signs are it is time to fill the Heinkel shaped hole in my cabinet.

50782724238_76af480bf1_b.jpg

Research material. I'm a bit rusty on the various marks of Heinkel, so this has helped a lot. Turns out, while most kit manufacturers settled on the H series, Airfix went with the P series. At first, I hadn't a clue what the difference was. Turns out the Ps had Daimler Benz DB601 engines and a different radio set, while the Hs had Jumo engines. Airfix had noted that the poor old P series never really had a kit before, so good on Airfix I say.

It left a bit of a quandary, because the H series was way more common. Mind you, the markings in the kit are quite correct for KG55 in 1940, and they did fly P-2s. Rather than confuse myself attempting to find suitable aftermarket transfers, I shall work with what Airfix gave me.

50783590702_9331609e8a_b.jpg

More research material. This book, dog-eared and broken of spine, has become my chief inspiration for all things 1940. I recalled it had a profile for an He111 that had been temporarily camouflaged for night operations over England.

50783486341_7c2d27dabc_b.jpg

And there it was. It's an H-3, although the correct squadron. KG55 flew both H-3s and P-2s during the Battle of Britain and the Blitz. In the Nowarra book there is a photo of a KG55 P-2 blacked out, so that is what I plan to do with this model. It'll make a change from all the other Luftwaffe planes that currently have RLM65 undersides.

So, what's in the box bag?

50783486231_0445da6be0_b.jpg

50783590532_4d14089401_b.jpg

50782723943_28835e0dcb_b.jpg

Lovely clear transparent parts. Nice clean and sharp mouldings for the other parts. There are three crew members, but no ordnance. I'll probably build the model with bomb bay closed anyway, so that's not a problem. I generally build wheels down as my preference, and I note the main wheels are moulded without any bulge or flattened area. I shall consider whether aftermarket resin wheels might be worth getting.

After the train wreck that was 2020, with its pandemic, political upheaval, personal medical and mental issues and so on, I want 2021 to be the year I get back on track with my paying work. I hope the styrene bothering won't be too far from the bench, but I don't expect the Heinkel to go together that quickly. You never know, of course, so don't be too surprised if things happen a bit faster than I anticipate.

I think the first job is to order spare parts to mend my broken airbrush. I'm not sure whether I want to go full-on hairy stick with a model this size. Where did I leave the credit card?

• Like 39

Oooooh good, another Heather [nearly said Heller] build of a kit I built some years ago and I'm still pleased with the result.

Will be following with interest and cheering from the front stalls.

Rog 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

stick them to Tamiya tape and use them as templates

Ooh! Good idea! I’m not really a fan of vinyl cut masks.

As to the fish, it’s not my intention to use that actual profile. I want to use the kit transfers for G1+AN but use the profile as inspiration for the black covering everything. :like: I note you’ve contacted me off list, so I’ll be in touch soon - and thank you! 

• Like 2

Best wishes for the New Year

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Heather, I'll take a seat by the window if you don't mind?

Stay safe       Roger

1 minute ago, Hamden said:

I'll take a seat by the window if you don't mind?

You are more than welcome. Just be aware that for Covid precautions the window will be open to encourage good ventilation. Face coverings are optional. We're all in a bubble here anyway. :laugh:

• Like 2

I think my bubble sector just burst, I mean, what do I want to watch another WW2 build for?

Well mostly just because, happy new year Heather.

I'll be around just for observation duties OK?

• Like 1

Welcome along for the ride everyone!

I am quietly impressed by the design of this kit. Scooting through the destructions to get an idea of the construction sequence, I noted almost all the glazing is left until last. That means, if I choose to brush-paint - a distinct possibility while I wait on spares for the airbrush - I don’t need to mask everything to start with. The nose, and the ventral and dorsal parts will need to be masked up, but the side windows can be left for a while before gluing them in. I am going to make the rash assumption they will fit neatly and not need sanding.

50787408696_02c6281ff4_b.jpg

Another neat feature is these two machine guns. These were fitted to later production He111s, "aimed" by means of a mirror above the pilot's seat. I don’t recall whether Airfix have reissued this kit in other forms, but the physical difference between the H and P series aircraft was chiefly engines. The engines in this kit are a separate sprue frame, too, though the DB601 narrow blade props aren’t. Anyway, step 6 tells me to cut the guns off.

(Edit to say an H-6 variant, as well as a Mötorhead special have been released.)

50787511827_6e6d83d9cc_b.jpg

Bam! That’s the main interior fitted! 

50787408821_9d867a82f1_b.jpg

The port fuselage half carries the bulkheads, which also form the wing spar stubs. A couple of detail panels are glued in, plus floor parts, and we are about ready for paint. There’s slightly less detail in the starboard half, but it’s all sufficient to show something through the upper gun position. I haven’t tidied a lot of the ejector pin marks. They’re not going to be seen, so why waste my time? I will detail paint what I assume constitutes the radio equipment, and run a wash around to bring out some details, but otherwise all is good.

50787577802_67d08cb467_b.jpg

Paint! You may just have noticed the colour call-outs in the previous shot. The interior colour is shown as Humbrol 31. Don’t forget, this kit came in a gift set, and the paints provided are usually not quite correct or comprehensive. To be fair, Hu31 ain’t far off RLM 02, but I have used Hu240 for the interior. It’s Humbrol's RLM 02, and I’m happy with it. A second coat will be needed.

Well, that little burst of assembly took about an hour. At this rate, the plane will be completed by Sunday evening!  

• Like 21

Joining the ranks:popcorn: 

There's an Italeri 111 in the stash, this will make a nice comparison.

I'm planning something similar, but for a KG4 H at Soesterberg. 

Oh, and the black distemper was painted over the RLM65 - have you thought about chipping that black off and exposing the 65? :P

8 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Oh, and the black distemper was painted over the RLM65 - have you thought about chipping that black off and exposing the 65? :P

Very tempting. :idea:

I've also got a couple of Italeri Hs in the other stash. I’m tempted to build one up as a crash diorama one day. I haven’t done a proper crash dio, and rather fancy the challenge.

I built this one a year or so back, it's a lovely kit. The Airfix instructions however don't tell you that the forward pair of side windows should be painted over for the P-2!

The cockpit and underside transparencies will need some filing down to get them level but they polish up fine afterwards.

Link here, hopefully there is some useful heads-up stuff!

Ian

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brandy said:

the forward pair of side windows should be painted over for the P-2!

Noted, thanks Ian. I also remember you built one a while back. Ta for the link. I’ll peruse the thread as I digest my evening meal. 

I'm a fraction ahead of you on an identical kit - but fannying around with some Eduard etch for the interior.

but the side windows can be left for a while before gluing them in. I am going to make the rash assumption they will fit neatly and not need sanding.

Errm, about that rash assumption...:wait:

Having already been through Brandy's WIP (excellent source of info!), I'd spotted the forward window issues and tried fitting them. They're WAAAAY too thick for the recesses in the fuselage. A combination of chamfering the edges and sanding them back once glued in has got them sorted, but I've not tried fitting the rear ones yet which still need to be clear once I've finished butchering them... I'm definitely planning to have them sorted before joining the fuselage halves, put it that way.

Edited by BikingLampy
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, BikingLampy said:

Errm, about that rash assumption...:wait:

Forewarned is the mother of invention, or something. I thought it prudent to see how things fitted.

50788359186_daa8706d2e_b.jpg

Hmm, yes, well. Variable, I think, is being fair. Having checked my sources and as Ian rightly pointed out, the leading pairs of fuselage windows are blanked out. As they are where the bomb bay is, I suspect light wasn’t necessarily an important criterion. I glued the panes in, reasoning I’d be sanding things flush and painting over them anyway. The fit was so iffy, I felt I had nothing to lose in fitting the remaining four panes. They will also be sanded and then micromeshed back to a clear finish before being masked.

With that, I think it’s time to do something else for the rest of the evening. Another bout of stuff tomorrow should see the fuselage buttoned up at least.

• Like 11

Following with interest. The He111 has fascinated me since I was a wee nipper in the 70's, such a distinct shape with that glazed canopy and wide wings. Although my sphere of interest is mainly local aircraft, I guess enough of these bombed my home town, and crashed nearby, to warrant adding it to the list ... (at least one was stored in what was to become the Ford Transit factory at Eastleigh Airport)

https://www.solentsky.org/post/southampton-s-mystery-nazi-bomber

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Greg Law said:

What happened to your airbrush?  

It’s stopped passing air. I was going to type "passing wind", but thought would be silly. :innocent: I think it overheard me discussing buying another airbrush and decided to go on strike.

I found the air inlet valve wasn’t working properly. I ordered a bunch of spares for it, which I hope will arrive soon. Meanwhile, it’s inoperative.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

While I’m here, and before I get stuck into the rest of the day, I had a notion.

I went to find a copy of the "proper" instructions. You know, the ones in single Heinkel kit, not the gift set ones. The set instructions, as I’ve noted already, change colour call-outs to suit what general colours are provided in the set. I opted to replace the Hu31 with Hu240. Well...

If you’ve read Ian's build thread, he ended up repainting his interior with a darker grey. This was something that was implemented at factory level at some point during production, but it’s not easy to find out when. Anyway, what do I find when I take a look at the proper instructions?

50790451736_8be332039e_b.jpg

Hu31 has become Hu32. That’s a dark grey. I guess I’m in for a quick repaint before I join the fuselage together. 

I also note the single kit has a much superior transfer sheet, with loads of stencils. I think I shall end up acquiring some aftermarket stuff after all.

• Like 9

On 01/01/2021 at 20:27, Heather Kay said:

the leading pairs of fuselage windows are blanked out. As they are where the bomb bay is, I suspect light wasn’t necessarily an important criterion.

Or maybe Heather they did not need to disguise it as an airliner anymore with a cabin for four passengers ..................ha  ha

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

Some fun with transparencies. 

This is my technique for sanding and polishing glazing. I don’t claim any of it is original, indeed most has been freely borrowed from more expert folk than me. I tend to polish to a point where I’m happy. It may not be completely gin clear, but I find it adequate for the job. 

50791101061_ef5f20e255_b.jpg

Weapons of choice. Sanding sticks of various grades, from very coarse to very fine. Masking tape, dry marker pen, polishing wheel and compound. Nothing clever or fancy.

50790348363_1b09d3bdd3_b.jpg

First, mask around the general area. This is chiefly to prevent accidental damage to moulded details. 

50791213782_7af9043937_b.jpg

Using the dry marker, "paint" over the glazing and surround area. The purpose here is to show when sanding has reached the level of the fuselage plastic. I generally reapply the marker pen as I work.

50790349068_5c2522e2c3_b.jpg

Start with the coarsest sanding stick. The aim here is to remove as much material as needed as quickly as possible. The shadows of marker pen show low areas and indicate some sanding still to go.

50791100706_193583763a_b.jpg

More marker pen, and a slightly less coarse sanding stick.

50791100571_9d54908bf0_b.jpg

Now I move to the Flex-I-Files, working my way from coarse to X-fine. It sometimes helps to do this with water. The stages remove scratch marks from earlier coarse sanding, and refines things. All that’s left at the end should be marker pen in the tiny recesses round the edges of the glazing.

50791100436_e091ed2215_b.jpg

Some time later and things are looking quite good. Not crystal clear, but good enough for me. A purist would go on to the micro mesh sanding stages here, and get things properly "gin clear". I am not a purist, and I am fundamentally lazy.

50791213177_26dcc895aa_b.jpg

Dremel and polishing wheel, plus polishing compound. Don’t run the machine too fast, and don’t let the wheel linger in one place too long else the plastic will begin to soften and melt. Gentle passes across the area being polished are all that’s needed.

50791100281_64466fbbe5_b.jpg

A final polish with an old bit of cotton rag - material from an old pair of denims is apparently ideal - or a micro fibre cloth as here. This cleans away the polishing compound residue, and buffs the glazing. At this stage, if you’re unhappy with the clarity, repeat some of the later sanding and polishing stages until you are. I’m happy with this level of clarity.

One final job is to run a scriber or blade along the recessed panel lines to clear the crud out and reinstate any minor damage caused by enthusiastic sanding. A wipe with isopropyl alcohol or thinners will clean any final polishing residues away. I’ll apply masking to the relevant panes later.

Time to repaint the interior.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2