Clive's 2020 Mixed Nuts

clive_t

Hi all, and I hope you are all keeping safe and well. A bit of a mixed bag for me this year, which I shall summarise in chronological order. As ever, I'll provide links to the RFI and the WIP threads for your amusement along the way. OK, on with the show:

First off, a 1:72 Junkers Ju52/1m in civilian markings, hewn from a freebie Italeri kit plus a whole host of customisations:

KKQ0N0q.jpg

77Cqfre.jpg

fAOyWsl.jpg

2Uza8Fv.jpg

I know pride is a sin, but I'll be honest and say I am especially proud of this beastie!

RFI WIP

Next up was a small diorama created around a 1:72 RPM Models kit of a Ford Model T field ambulance:

XoARQYT.jpg

cBuqQoT.jpg

XRQ0yHc.jpg

zcLZEdx.jpg

RFI WIP

Continuing with the diorama theme, my next attempt was with a new subject for me, a submarine - specifically, a 1:350 Revell kit of a German U-Boat Type VIIc/41. This also presented new challenges for me, namely to reproduce 'crashing surf' that one might expect from a rapidly-surfacing submarine:

JoU7yH3.jpg

u1QIuj0.jpg

zIIb6tn.jpg

JG5pMKl.jpg

RFI WIP

Finally, reverting to my primary interest (wingy things), I reaffirmed my status as 'glutton for punishment' by taking on a vintage kit of a vintage aircraft: namely, a 1:48 Curtiss JN4 Canuck from an ancient Lindberg 'Jenny' kit - the yellowest of yellow plastics I have ever seen in the history of anything ever! Again, there was much in the way of self-imposed customisations with this one; I wish I could say it cured me of such foolhardiness, but sadly...

uCo1zxy.jpg

JHSfJ2E.jpg

7CHmVd7.jpg

zm0mLCq.jpg

RFI WIP

Finally, and as with last year, I finish with some faltering progress with the Great Unfinished Railway, a garden railway of my own imaginings which has struggled this year - perhaps not surprisingly.

lnAegud.jpg

etxiwaC.jpg

uIqYWwL.jpg

PCvb9Fr.jpg

WIP

So there you go, that's me for another year.

Let's hope for a better, safer, happier 2021.

Cheers all :thumbsup2:

• Like 14

Thanks jeroen, much appreciated. There's some detail in the WIP, but in summary the cascading water effect is achieved with artist's acrylic gel, and some thin, teased-out layers of cotton wool.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Thanks jeroen, much appreciated. There's some detail in the WIP, but in summary the cascading water effect is achieved with artist's acrylic gel, and some thin, teased-out layers of cotton wool.

OK, just read the WIP which was surprisingly short (you made it look easy there 😉).... nice technique!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

OK, just read the WIP which was surprisingly short (you made it look easy there 😉).... nice technique!

You're right, there was a critical shortage of photos at that specific stage; however I can refer you to this You-Tube clip,courtesy of Mr Scale-a-ton, where he shows it in its full glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoAaodEqO0g

The whole thing is worth a watch, however the part you're interested in starts at 17:06

• Like 1

Clive i am stunned by your builds , the JU52 is amazing with what you have done even down to the dents. I am stepping over my jaw.  The Canuck is wonderful and I enjoyed the WIP.  Onto your dioramas which are amazing  I love the surfacing sub too.  Love the garden Railway too.  I have been getting out  my railway models this week as I have neglected that side of modelling this year.

Happy New Year

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 8:08 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Clive i am stunned by your builds , the JU52 is amazing with what you have done even down to the dents. I am stepping over my jaw.  The Canuck is wonderful and I enjoyed the WIP.  Onto your dioramas which are amazing  I love the surfacing sub too.  Love the garden Railway too.  I have been getting out  my railway models this week as I have neglected that side of modelling this year.

Happy New Year

Chris

On 12/31/2020 at 8:14 PM, LorenSharp said:

Excellent job on All your builds this year Clive. Especially the U-Boat. Here's to a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Thanks Chris and Loren for your kind comments. A belated Happy New Year to you both! :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The submarine diorama is stunning! The JN-4 is a great upgrade of an ancient kit and I do love the Junkers with its dents. Does your garden railway deliver drinks?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, and a Happy New Year to you. The railway is dormant at this time, but in the warmer weather has been known to deliver drinks and sweets to excited grandchildren... If they're quick enough, otherwise the goodies are returned straight back to the supplier :D