*Abandoned* AKYDNBAAK take 2 for 2022

vppelt68

Right, some copy+paste from the original thread:

"Original, long title: "A kit you DIDN'T build as a kid - but would've wanted to! (for 2021)"

So the kit that got away! Maybe it was a Frog or Matchbox etc kit, that was already out of production and out of stock by the time You would have wanted to build it (remember, no internet, no ebay or kingkit etc back then...) or one of those that had a price tag above your pocket money range, or one of those you had seen and drooled in a catalogue of a manufacturer that just was not available in your neighbourhood or simply it was out of your skill range back then, like a Viggen in a splinter scheme that you skipped because you were intimidated by the challenge!"

I promised myself I won't start new GB proposals in 2021, so I had to act today :coolio:.

Best regards and a happy/happier new year 2021 to everyone 🥳 :cheers: 🚀, V-P

1. vppelt68 (host)
  2. zebra
  3. CliffB
  4. helios16v
  5. jackroadkill
  6. klr
  7. JOCKNEY
  8. Tim R-T-C
  9. reini
  10. Rob S
  11. Jinxman
  12. Adam Poultney
  13. Marklo
  14. Colin W
  15. Torbjorn
  16. Ray S
  17. ...
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Would have to be the Frog Whitley for me.  Couldn’t afford one when I was a youngster and we were on Holiday in Brisbane in 1977 when I saw one at McDonald and East’s at the virtually brand new Garden City Shopping Centre.  But over the years have collected a few so have at least one in the “Stash” wanting to be built. 

Please sign me up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reini said:

Sure. Monogram's 1/48 Big, Bad & Beautiful Hustler is still waiting to be built.

Nice!  I need to get back to mine.  Not sure if I'm going to fall back on that one or the B-25 once I get my OV-1B from the Vietnam GB finished.  I'm running more than a little behind.  :wall:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Nice!  I need to get back to mine.  Not sure if I'm going to fall back on that one or the B-25 once I get my OV-1B from the Vietnam GB finished.  I'm running more than a little behind.  :wall:

I know the feeling, I still have unfinished Vietnam and Interceptor builds... 

• 1 month later...

Been giving this one some thought as without consciously thinking about it, I've been working my way through these kits since I rejoined the hobby. 

Like @Rob S I've never built the Frog Whitney but also the Airfix Hercules as it was so far out of my price range, and probably still is !

The kit you did build as a kid was a lot easier than this !

• 1 month later...

Had to think hard on this one, ( having an Airfix up o/400 in wip which would have been my first choice) and eventually realised I also have an Airfix Hp 42 in the stash which would also fit the bill nicely.

resized_a9dc1e46-5cc0-481b-89d3-b78d97e6

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rather than adding yet another kit to the stash, I've been looking at what I already have that qualifies.

Airfix He 177 and Matchbox Halifax or Wellington would definitely fit the bill.

Now we just need more participants  !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

I doubt it’ll make it to the Bunfight, but I’m signing up. Now, where do I find Airfix* catalogues from the 80s and 90s to freshen up my memory?

*) Airfix had virtual monopoly where I bought kits as a kid, with the odd Heller or Revell making guest appearances

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 4:02 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Now we just need more participants  !

Okay, I heard the call! I will sign up. I will have something in the stash.

By the way, is there an upper limit to 'kid' age? I am a 1957 product, so I will choose something that was around before 1975 when I turned 18, and it will probably be Airfix, as that was what it was all about for me. And there are still lots to choose from. But I may decide on something from the other model firms. I was indecisive then, I think I am better now.

Ray

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest, this one did not make it to the Bunfight and I will not continue running this further. Let's say "bye" to this and move towards new and better ideas. We can all virtually "lock" this topic now .

V-P

• Sad 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to *Abandoned* AKYDNBAAK take 2 for 2022
  • 3 weeks later...