vytautas

I'm hugely impressed by your progress so far, both the extra detailing and paintwork. The end result is going to be quite something. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 8:03 AM, vytautas said:

Thank you very much both!

I made the steel texture by painting. I used four coats of paint, the bottom of dark steel, the other with different shades of dunkelgelb.  Before painting a new layer, I rubbed through the already painted one.  (I used chipping fluid between the coats of paint). This created many shades and a heavy metal surface. Probably the texture is a little too rough, but in reality, looks better than in the photo.

Vytautas

may have to try this on the Wespe. I know the principles of hairspray/chipping but only ever done them on winter camo, maybe trying it over a base of steel grey (any particular colour you use?) for the main chipping throughout would be something to learn

19 hours ago, echen said:

I like this nice detail. It tells a little story about the occupants of your Marder on its travels.

Thanks, I like to tell small stories in the model, this is really fun, and the model becomes much less dull. 

It seems to me that these little stories are like another layer of paint that helps complete the model

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, IanC said:

I'm hugely impressed by your progress so far, both the extra detailing and paintwork. The end result is going to be quite something. 

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm far from sure about the final result...

58 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

may have to try this on the Wespe. I know the principles of hairspray/chipping but only ever done them on winter camo, maybe trying it over a base of steel grey (any particular colour you use?) for the main chipping throughout would be something to learn

For the first layer of steel I used a Tamiya XF-63 with a little red and black, if I remember correctly. For other layers, I used an XF-88 with more or less white. I mix shades myself and do it by eye, so I don't remember the exact ingredients or proportions.

And one more thing - if hairspray is used instead of chipping fluid: some hairsprays dissolve acrylic paints, so it is necessary to test before use! I had this happened with one of Taft's hairspray.

Vytautas

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vytautas said:

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm far from sure about the final result...

For the first layer of steel I used a Tamiya XF-63 with a little red and black, if I remember correctly. For other layers, I used an XF-88 with more or less white. I mix shades myself and do it by eye, so I don't remember the exact ingredients or proportions.

And one more thing - if hairspray is used instead of chipping fluid: some hairsprays dissolve acrylic paints, so it is necessary to test before use! I had this happened with one of Taft's hairspray.

Vytautas

tanks Vytatus - I have some Tresemme that I have used before... think I will try with midd grey/brown undercoat then Mig Dunkelgelb - dont use tamiya due to the odour

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

May I ask what you used for the dull steel on the gun, e.g. the cradle rails, breach and breach block etc?  Looks very convincing.

Thanks! 
For the inside of a breech and a breech block, I used  Aluminum (Mr. Metal Color), for the breech block outside - Gun Metal (Model Master). For cradle rails - Gun Metal (Model Master). It seems to me, yes, but I don't remember exactly, because I smear with what is at hand, it is important that the color is correct. 
I really like Mr. Metal Color paints, they can be buffed, so aluminum can be done as shiny chrome. For the rails of the cradle, I would have used Mr. Metal Color Dark Iron, but I do not have this color yet.

Vytautas

• Like 1

Excellent work so far  - love all the detailing and weathering, can I ask an observation question  please?   sometimes I see the Scalemates  logo on the top of  your pics  - how come?

Erk.

19 minutes ago, ERK said:

Excellent work so far  - love all the detailing and weathering, can I ask an observation question  please?   sometimes I see the Scalemates  logo on the top of  your pics  - how come?

It's very simple, I put my models on both Britmodeller.com and Scalemates.com. For me, Scalemates is more convenient to use as an image hosting site and I find it more reliable than many others.

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas

15 minutes ago, vytautas said:

It's very simple, I put my models on both Britmodeller.com and Scalemates.com. For me, Scalemates is more convenient to use as an image hosting site and I find it more reliable than many others.

Vytautas

Excellent Idea posting on both  - you do some lovely work.

Erk.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vytautas said:

Thanks! 
For the inside of a breech and a breech block, I used  Aluminum (Mr. Metal Color), for the breech block outside - Gun Metal (Model Master). For cradle rails - Gun Metal (Model Master). It seems to me, yes, but I don't remember exactly, because I smear with what is at hand, it is important that the color is correct. 
I really like Mr. Metal Color paints, they can be buffed, so aluminum can be done as shiny chrome. For the rails of the cradle, I would have used Mr. Metal Color Dark Iron, but I do not have this color yet.

Vytautas

Yes, I too use Mr Metal Color (Aluminium, Brass and Iron) which I have plenty of.  I didn't expect though that you used aluminium for the breach and breach block though!  As a former Royal Australian Artillery officer, I have good idea what these bits should look like, and your work is spot on.  Even though those parts are of course hardened steel, the surface can resemble dull polished aluminium.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Going great Vytautas. I agree about stories adding another layer to the model, this is often the case with real vehicles as well. 

Looking forward to seeing this completed

• Like 1

Can I squeeze in at the back and follow? This is top class stuff Vytautas. Don't go letting your mental strength take over and start something else.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Going great Vytautas. I agree about stories adding another layer to the model, this is often the case with real vehicles as well. 

Looking forward to seeing this completed

Thanks for the kind words!

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Can I squeeze in at the back and follow? This is top class stuff Vytautas. Don't go letting your mental strength take over and start something else

Okay, I'll try to suppress my strong will, but I can't promise anything real... :rofl:

I’ve started painting the hull and chassis, but I haven’t finished yet, so there are no photos either. I don’t have time for a model lately, I only manage to read forum posts. :(

Vytautas

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally I painted the tracks.

I saw on Youtube a video of Russian guys riding a crawler tractor. After a couple of hours of driving, there was almost no rust left on the tracks. With the tanks, of course, it was the same. Thus, the tracks will be almost rust free. 

1046759-72073-31-pristine.jpg:

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...

What a wonderful detailing you getting there! Will wait for the next season episodes!

You have the skills and no time...I have time..and no skills... 🤣

But its seems I'm not the only one that doesn't finish my models...there plenty in here... maybe I only have more to finish!🤣

Cheers

LM

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Three months later..... Dude... You're really dragging this one out :D

Of course, enemies are to blame for everything!
What I was afraid of happened... It was like this: I was doing Marder, and suddenly, quite unexpectedly, I had another model in my hands (I suspect that either enemies or aliens pushed it in)!  

And I, of course, could not resist - in a word, I did not even know that I had such angry and invincible enemies!
But when I break out of this trap (I mean Salwenmaschinenkanone), I'll finish Marder first!

Really really!

:D

Vytautas

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

What a wonderful detailing you getting there! Will wait for the next season episodes!

Thank you, Paulo, for your kind words!

4 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

You have the skills and no time...I have time..and no skills... 🤣

Thank God we don't have everything!

If I had everything, I wouldn't do anything - just lay on the couch and would watch TV (hmm... about couch I'm sure, but about tv not).

My extra weight would be huge, and I heard that being overweight is unhealthy... :D

Vytautas

• Haha 2

On 08/08/2021 at 15:14, vytautas said:

I saw on Youtube a video of Russian guys riding a crawler tractor. After a couple of hours of driving, there was almost no rust left on the tracks. With the tanks, of course, it was the same. Thus, the tracks will be almost rust free. 

1046759-72073-31-pristine.jpg

Vytautas

Mr V, you're a magician... Paranormal tracks that go all by themselves... I bet your house was good at Halloween :)

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2021 at 3:14 PM, vytautas said:

My understanding is that tank tracks didn’t really rust because of the high manganese content in the steel.

What is often confused for track rust is residue from rust on the wheels, sprockets and rollers.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

Mr V, you're a magician... Paranormal tracks that go all by themselves... I bet your house was good at Halloween :)

Oh yeah! I put the tracks in the box, but they are gone. It turns out they themselves moved to a completely different box!
And yes, it happened around Halloween. Who would have thought ...

:rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, nheather said:

My understanding is that tank tracks didn’t really rust because of the high manganese content in the steel.

What is often confused for track rust is residue from rust on the wheels, sprockets and rollers.

You're not entirely right. Manganese is an alloying element, but it does not prevent steel from rusting.
Depending on which surface the tank drives more often, the tracks can be rusty or shiny. For example: if the tank is driven in the city, on a hard surface, only the top edges of the tracks are polished. If the tank is driven across the field in dry weather, the soil acts as an abrasive and the rust on the tracks is cleared away and the tracks became more polished. If the tracks are cleaned of rust, but gets into a humid environment, they begin to rust (if they become clean of the rust, fresh light orange rust appears in a couple of hours)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

It turns out they themselves moved to a completely different box

I thought they were attached to a new secret weapon. The first invisible tank hull.

• Haha 1