vytautas

I know I have to complete the models I started first. But because I have a very strong will, I have managed to defeat myself, and I continue to expand my collection of started and unfinished models. 

This time it’s Tamiya Marder I (35370) that I found under the Christmas tree.

spacer.png
It's a very interesting vehicle - on thecaptured French Lorrain 37L, a fighting compartment was mounted with the best anti-tank 75-mm Pak 40 cannon at that time.
All details fit perfectly. Excellent, easy to sand plastic, semi-assembled tracks. If assembled directly from the box, the model can be glued in one evening.
Disadvantages: small parts very thick and very simplified, almost empty interior, not even crew gas mask containers, fire extinguisher, first aid kit. And a lot of visible pin marks (as the details will still have to be thinned, this can be ignored).
But all the shortcomings can be easily remedied.
From scratch, I made only cannon lock stands and radio rack.

spacer.png

I glued the details to the blocks

spacer.png

I sanded the parts to the actual thickness (from 1 mm to 0.2-0.3 mm)

spacer.png

spacer.png

The plastic barrel is very good, it is really not necessary to replace it with metal.

spacer.png

I made a radio rack from scratch. I didn't like the original from a box because it hides a large part of the radio. And make holes in radio rack dampers for radio hardware.

spacer.png

I crumpled the muffler cover

spacer.png

Happy New Year to all !!!

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 19

57 minutes ago, Cheesey153 said:

"But because I have a very strong will, I have managed to defeat myself"

That's the funniest thing I have read in a very long time!! 😂😂😂

I shall watch your build and enjoy learning from you.

It’s not funny at all, you can’t even imagine what a strong will I have. Thanks to my strong will, I have started so many models that I must hide their quantity from myself!
But I also have flaws - to my great shame, I have completed two models (but it happened a few years ago, then my will was much weaker) :)

50 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Usual high standards being displayed again mate, will follow along to gain tips mate :)

Thank you, your words inspire me to start even more models :)

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

very nice, will be watching (again).... hoping to start my Wespe later this year so need lots of inspiration on this sort of vehicle...

Hi Rob, thanks for the kind words, I'm waiting for your Wespe. I have one myself, I can't wait to start either, but before that, I want to finish at least one model

Vytautas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andy J said:

Yep I'm in now crack on mate I'm hungry for learning new skills 🙂👍

10 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Very nice Vytautas, very skilfully made and lovely work, looking forward to some more...

Ed

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Very nice start to this one, I'll follow along and learn as well if you don't mind?

Stay safe          Roger

Nice to see you all here, and thank you for the kind words!

Vytautas

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 4:49 AM, jep1210 said:

Very realistic, how did you do that?

Hi, this is very simple. It's important to stop in time while there is still a bit of model left!

I have written how I do it:

(If it doesn't work, blame Lee and Rob, because they were the ones who made me write this tutorial 🙂)

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Haha 2

I've got a little update to share:

spacer.png

I redesigned the cannon barrel locking mechanism, the original was very thick, about 1mm. I sanded it to 0.2mm and added new bolts. The original stands are very poor, I made new ones from scratch.

The mechanism still lacks one rod that connecting the locking mechanism with a driver hatch, I will do it later (the original design was such that when the driver's hatch was opened, the cannon barrel locked).

spacer.png

I found a part that could be damaged, so I took that opportunity  :happy:

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I've always liked your stuff in the past Vytautas, and seeing what you've done with it so far, this looks as though it's going to be another cracker. Nice work.

John.

Hi John, thank you for the kind words.

Vytautas

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vytautas said:

Hi, this is very simple. It's important to stop in time while there is still a bit of model left!

I have written how I do it:

(If it doesn't work, blame Lee and Rob, because they were the ones who made me write this 🙂)

Vytautas

Don't blame me 😉 mind I haven't tried it yet - think the Pz 35 could get some (or the LAP-7 wheel arches perhaps....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Always good to see your builds, details, and carving expertise ;)

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

Don't blame me 😉 mind I haven't tried it yet - think the Pz 35 could get some (or the LAP-7 wheel arches perhaps....

Don’t worry, Rob, maybe things will end well.

As for the accusations - someone has to be to blame, that's the order... It's very unfortunate, forgive me, but I can't be guilty... Really can't... Try to understand me... 😄

Vytautas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Andy J said:

Yep I'm in now crack on mate I'm hungry for learning new skills 🙂👍

Start with the basics mate....fork goes in the left hand, knife in the right!

Once you've masterd that Andy let us know and well move onto lesson two..

(Unless you're a colonial that is and then anything's fair game!).

7 hours ago, vytautas said:

I've got a little update to share:

spacer.png

I redesigned the cannon barrel locking mechanism, the original was very thick, about 1mm. I sanded it to 0.2mm and added new bolts. The original stands are very poor, I made new ones from scratch.

The mechanism still lacks one rod that connecting the locking mechanism with a driver hatch, I will do it later (the original design was such that when the driver's hatch was opened, the cannon barrel locked).

spacer.png

I found a part that could be damaged, so I took that opportunity  :happy:

Vytautas

I'll try and keep up, looks likely to be an interesting build with some great improvements!

Good luck!

Darryl 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Start with the basics mate....fork goes in the left hand, knife in the right!

And now lean over the bowl and drink the soup, be careful not to get your hair wet!! :rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 2

A little more progress today.

spacer.png

I made a radio rack and fasteners for the communication box and pipes for cables from 0.5mm wire.

spacer.png

I sanded the cannon shield to 0.4 mm and added missing bolts on the inner side (Tamiya makes this side of the shield absolutely empty). The black material is 0,1 mm plastic from cookies packaging.

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 12

56 minutes ago, vytautas said:

spacer.png

I sanded the cannon shield to 0.4 mm and added missing bolts on the inner side (Tamiya makes this side of the shield absolutely empty). The black material is 0,1 mm plastic from cookies packaging.

Vytautas

What is this Witchcraft, I see here !!

:D

• Haha 3