1:72 Round2 Eagle 14 inch number 2

This is my second build of this lovely kit this year. Round2 released it at the end of last year and it is a fabulous replacement for the old Airfix/MPC kit. it is slightly larger than the old kit at 14" rather than 12". The reason for this is complex but basically down to the scale of the model. This is a more accurate rendition of the '1:72' scale version of the original 44" studio model which was nominally appointed to be 1:24 scale due to its use of the pilot figures from the 1:24 Gemini capsule kit. However these figures are out of scale for the rest of the model as they would not fit through the doors. The scaling has stuck so the 22" model is classed as 1:48 and when you scale that down to 1:72 you get to 14" not 12".

I used various decals from the spares box to add to the kit included ones so I could add extra stripes on the spine and other parts of the framework and re-used some of the colured panels from the 22" weathering decal set to create the panels on this. I'm quite happy to mask and paint these panels on the 22" kit but NOT on this one, life is too damn short :) It was then dirtied up using a set of grey pastel chalks I picked up for £3 at the works which gives a 'spectrum' of greys from white to almost black, much more economical than using MiG or AK weathering powders! For the weathering, masking was done using post-it notes to get the sharp demarcation lines.

The engine bells were painted with Alclad 2, as were the vertical thrusters under the model which you can't see! I drilled out the side pod thrusters as well.

I did a Rescue Eagle again as I think it is more attractive than the standard white one, although of course I could have done an orange VIP one. There are some other fantasy colour schemes with Pan AM, Virgin Galactic, NASA and other schemes. I reckon a UNIT scheme would be interesting too!

DSC_4900.JPG

DSC_4902.JPG

DSC_4903.JPG

DSC_4904.JPG

DSC_4905.JPG

DSC_4906.JPG

DSC_4907.JPG

Here it is with its sister Eagle from earlier in the year

DSC_4908.JPG

and of course the original 22" Rescue Eagle had to be included as it was feeling neglected!

DSC_4909.JPG

I am probably going to put this new Eagle up for sale on eBay in the new year, once I can decide how much I think its worth :)

• Like 24

• 3 weeks later...