That famous red Triplane.

stevej60

Hi folk's,Just for a fun build I have Revell's ancient 1/28 Fokker on the bench I know its basic and and older

than me but it's a big chunk of plastic and still builds well,I'm at the painting stage so a bit of help required.

Was the air frame painted with or were the fabric areas dyed red before manufacture? I want to loose the

toy like look as best I can with shading so assume if painted the metal cowling would have a different hue

them fabric any thoughts appreciated.

52 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

MvR had several red PAINTED Dr.1s

As supplied by the factory they came with a streaky olive green painted on the top surfaces and a turquoise/blue (aka Fokker Blue) under surfaces

Cheers BK,that's the other option in the box I trawled around the interweb and found photo's of some artifacts from the actual plane of course

a hundred years have took their toll but it seemed to be a dark red with a brownish tint not the bright red glossy finish on replicas and some

models.

6 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

. . .  it seemed to be a dark red with a brownish tint not the bright red glossy finish on replicas and some

models.

The description of the red on 425, his final flight Dr.1, varies from Bright Red, Dark Red, Scarlet, Crimson, Post Office Red, Fire Engine Red and so many more

For me, a bright RAF Roundel Red, not the darker brownish WW2 red but the post-WW2 colour.

• Haha 1

Cadmium red, which is a bright red, was introduced in 1910. Keep in mind at that time, Germany was the world's leader in pigment chemicals. Artist's oils are more stable than the early paint formulas used on aircraft. This is why old paintings in museums still have vivid reds while remnants of some WWI fabrics have oxidized and turned a darker color.

• Like 2

Thank's folk's got her painted over the afternoon I used three shades with a dark almost brick red to start ending with passes with a pure

red trying to catch the highlights on the ribbing,I ended with a faded red for the wing leading edges and edges of the fuselage,all this

promptly vanished under the glossing for the decals but as usual will come back with a matt coat.

20201231_175252

• Like 5

On 12/31/2020 at 10:41 AM, Black Knight said:

The description of the red on 425, his final flight Dr.1, varies from Bright Red, Dark Red, Scarlet, Crimson, Post Office Red, Fire Engine Red and so many more

For me, a bright RAF Roundel Red, not the darker brownish WW2 red but the post-WW2 colour.

Plus, the rotary engine was spewing exhaust & castor oil; that will darken/weather the red (or any color) quite a bit

• Like 1

• 1 month later...