My 2020 Completions

John Laidlaw

I've had a frankly astonishing three completions this year - usually it's just one, and only if I'm lucky. One is a Shelf of Doom completion, the other two were started and finished this year. Apologies for the less-than-adequate photography. This is something I'll be working on this coming year.

The first is the SoD completion, from an Eduard kit started ten years ago. The Grumman F6F-5N Hellcat. Actually a lovely kit, very nearly ruined by my following painting fashions at the time, then realising I didn't like them. So when I picked it back up to complete it, I covered as much as possible with oil and pastel weathering which is why it's filthy. It's also missing a couple of danglies, but I'm just done with it:

IMG_4556

IMG_4552

The next is a Corsair Mk.II in FAA colours, built from the Tamiya F4U-1D 1/48th kit for the excellent Corsair STGB run by @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @modelling minion and @Col.. A fun build, and a fast completion for me:

Complete!

Complete!

And finally, the kit that defined the latter part of the year for me. I'd entered the Battle of Britain 80th group build with the Tamiya 1/48th Bf 109-E4 in the colours of Helmut Wick when things started to go pear-shaped (sorry @Procopius, @Stew Dapple and @Cookenbacher!). Nothing went right with the kit and the resin I'd bought for it. Then when I'd got it into paint, I found the kit transfers rather enjoyed shattering when touched by water. After this - and being laid off from work - it was a grim slog through to the end. But I've (almost) made it. Some danglies/clean-up needed, but it's done, or as near as.

50781632841_794736fe42_b.jpg

50781740342_2269b24655_b.jpg

All the best for the New Year, and fingers crossed for an improvement in life for everybody.

• Like 18

Hi John. Hope you are keeping well. That's an impressive increase in production! Most of us would be extremely pleased with a 200% improvement! Three impressively built and finished builds as well!
I hope you have a Very Happy New Year.
Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

An excellent triple for 2020 John, I especially love the weathering on the Hellcat.

Thanks, Cookie!

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Three great builds John, your Corsair was great from start to finish and I really like the effect you have achieved on the Hellcat.

Thanks, MM!

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Hope you are keeping well. That's an impressive increase in production! Most of us would be extremely pleased with a 200% improvement! Three impressively built and finished builds as well!
I hope you have a Very Happy New Year.
Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks, Stix!

A Happy New Year to you all.