1/72 Aeroclub Avro Anson C.19

It's taken me two months to wrestle with this kit, two steps forward and one backwards at every stage! It is a quite ancient offering from Aeroclub, mixed media with vacuform fuselage and very fragile canopy (you also have to cut out and make your own cabin windows and interior); plastic wings, tail and rudder, and white metal parts for everything else. It is, however, pretty accurate and the basic detail is good, although I had to make and add over 50 detailed parts and additions.

50780123686_e98d6e8529_b.jpgVM365 Anson C19 (1) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

There is also a 'back story' to this project. I'm in the following photo taken in 1962 at RAF Chivenor, and I'm rubbing shoulders with a fellow plastic modeller from long ago. Rodney Fawkes and me are second and third in from left, back row. We haven't had any contact since 1964, but three months ago he came across the "RAF Ouston Research" website that I've been doing, saw the reference to 131(F) Newcastle ATC Squadron and sent me an email.

50779476028_1c9858c8f2_b.jpg131 (F) Sqdn Newcastle ATC, RAF Chivenor Summer Camp, September 1962 pw by Philip Pain, on Flickr

We compared our more recent kit bashing efforts, and I listed the aircraft models still to do for my Ouston project, including an Anson C.19. Rodney then very kindly offered me his Aeroclub Anson kit, still in the box and barely started by him many years ago. Even better, he had a spare copy of our 1963 RAF Kinloss photo, which I never received at the time. Here we all are; I'm 7th from left back row, and Rodney is 2nd from right front seated. Cracking MOTU Shack T.4 behind;

50780351027_43ddbbcde6_b.jpg131 (F) Sqdn Newcastle ATC, RAF Kinloss Summer Camp, Shack T.4, WB844, L, MOTU, 18 Aug 1963 pw by Philip Pain, on Flickr

Rodney said that he had been planning to model Anson C.19 VM365, in which he had scrounged a flight to Aberdeen from RAF Ouston, they were collecting a captured deserter. VM365 suited me nicely as it was the last in a very long line of Ansons to be based at Ouston from 1941 - 1963. So here it is;

50779349378_1f4e714369_b.jpgVM365, 11 Group Comms Flight, Ouston, 1962 (12) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

50779349538_98587beb57_b.jpgVM365, 11 Group Comms Flight, Ouston, 1962 (10) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

50779349663_05c0b9f2ab_b.jpgVM365, 11 Group Comms Flight, Ouston, 1962 (9) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

50779349893_270512b80c_b.jpgVM365, 11 Group Comms Flight, Ouston, 1962 (7) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

50780117671_1458272693_b.jpgVM365, 11 Group Comms Flight, Ouston, 1962 (6) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

50779350153_1356ff0a99_b.jpgVM365, 11 Group Comms Flight, Ouston, 1962 (3) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

It is in what appears to be a rather plain Transport Command colour scheme, but 11 Group's Ansons were distinctive for their broader trim line curved up the fin. The prop spinners were also dark blue, rather than the more normal black. Unusually the engine cowlings were polished metal, including the first section of the nacelle. And here is the 11 Group fleet at RAF Ouston, consisting of Anson C.19 VM365 (Aeroclub kit); Devon C.1 VP974 (Amodel kit); and Meteor T.7 WL419 (Xtrakit kit);

50779350308_a392cb82e1_b.jpg11 Group Comms Flight, Ouston, 1961-63 (3) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

50780225902_a8e2089a58_b.jpg11 Group Comms Flight, Ouston, 1961-63 (1) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, and full credit to Rodney.  But all I want for next Christmas is a modern mainstream kit of a late series Anson!

• Like 62
  • Thanks 4

What a nice model you have done a good job on that. It would be nice to see an Airfix transport version.  I have a great respect for what John Adams achieved with Aeroclub, I have several of the Aeroclub Tiger Moths to build yet.  I'm sure many of us have squadron summer camp photos, maybe that would make an interesting thread?  You had a big squadron by the looks of things, I was in 2417 Newmarket squadron we could rarely muster more than 20 for a camp.

Colin

• Like 1

Very nice build, built one for my late father as when he was in the RAF he flew around Britain delivering radar spares with a very excentric pilot (if wasn't flying the anson he was flying the nearest bar!). Always wanted to build another but when they come up they go for silly prices. 

That's another stunning model to add to your wonderful collection of Royal North East Air Force aircraft. It's beautifully built and finished as usual. 

I've always had a soft spot for the later marks of the Anson. 

I also built the Aeroclub C19 when it was first issued and have another one in the stash which I'll be adding to my theme of types that were based just up the road from me at nearby RAF Acklington. I have a picture of the Anson with "RAF Acklington Station Flight" painted on the fuselage.

Your theme of RAF Ouston aircraft always spur me on to continue with the project and to do more research on Acklington based units. 

Fingers crossed that we may see some injection molded late variants by the likes of Special Hobby or Valom in the not too distant future🤞, stranger things have happened. 

That is a beautiful Anson, and superbly presented too.

I enjoyed your ATC photos and memories ( I cannot spell reminisces ) too, our 739 Squadron was a scruffy bunch in the photo taken at RAF Marham compared to your Squadron.

regards, adey

Excellent result - Aeroclub offered some interesting subjects but their kits always need careful work and you've really done this one justice.

Great story as well - the old ATC battledress looks much smarter than the current woolly pully!

Thank you for posting this RFI. I have one of these kits in the stash which I am planning to build in memory of my Late Father. The Avro Anson was one of his favourite aircraft, along with the DH Mosquito, Saunders-Roe Princess and Vickers Wellington. I remember him telling me about a number of memorable trips in that he had taken in the Avro Anson during his training at No.1 Radio School, Cranwell and later at RAF Locking so I thought it would make a nice tribute.

You have done a great job with what looks like a challenging kit but, knowing John Adams as I do, I have every confidence that an accurate replica has been produced. It certainly looks the part and as others have said, it's nice to read the accompanying back story too.

Well Done, Sir !     

• Like 1

What a great build and certainly not shake and bake project. I built this for my dad many years ago and I was really quite pleased with the result. Unfortunately it didn't fair too well over the years and when he passed it came back to me. Looking at it through  older eyes with different standards I thought I might renovate it. I ended up breaking it for spares regretfully. From all this I can still recall the story of the golf clubs.... When stationed in Germany around 1950 the airfield CO had one of the station hacks prepared for a golfing trip and when he launched the clubs into the door they went straight through the fabric opposite. So that done he ordered the spare Anson out of the hangar. My dad being an aircraft finisher got the job of repairing the damaged aircraft.

That’s a beautiful Annie and a kit I wish Airfix or similar would make so I could build one! Love those post-war transport colours and she looks great with the Devon and Meteor. 

Brilliant ATC photos, I still have mine from Odiham ‘85, seems a lifetime ago but I think some of the Chinooks and Pumas are still active from back then!

Love it,.... that Anson could easily pass as the real thing in some of those pics and its friends are pretty darn nice too,

Happy New Year to you too mate!

Cheers

Tony  

• 3 years later...

All: refreshing this excellent Anson C.19 build/RFI thread for everyone else.  Relief will come hopefully soon with Valom's upcoming releases of the C.19 and T.21 for those without the Aeroclub kit.

• Like 1