Eduard 1/72 Hellcat Mk.I / Mk.II Dual Combo

It's very rare that a new kit gets built straight away. I tend to buy 2 or 3 at a time, predominantly online. Once they arrive, I have a look at the contents and think "that will be cool to build one day...". The kits then get closed up and disappear into the ever expanding stash. I've currently been working on some intensive projects which have been a bit of a time-sink, so it's felt as though I've somewhat stagnated with my attempts to cull the backlog and was starting to lose my 'mojo'.  

So, yesterday, I did something I haven't done since I started the hobby 4 years ago: I went to the LHS, picked out a cool looking kit, and immediately started building.

The kit: Eduard 1/72 Hellcat Mk. I / Mk. II Dual Combo

y4mtpuaQ_2_XybPHRRBTNZncN0DlDC1eZWWwPb0z

As the name implies, the kit contains two complete models, including masks and photoetch for both. There are markings for 7 different aircraft. 

As stated, this kit has jumped to the front of the build queue, but will be progressed as a palate cleanser for when I need a break from the larger projects. As a result, they will both be built purely OOB

The kit provides parts to build a single example of a Mk.I and a Mk.II. I'll be building both at the same time, and have already chosen the below schemes:

• Hellcat Mk.I JV131, 800 Sqn. FAA, HMS Emperor, June 1944

y4mFXYs4Ymn5csSCvDgaxniSq8Vrp_CjTS_ZNvJe

• Hellcat Mk.II JZ796, 808 Sqn. FAA, SubLt Oscar Lorenzo, HMS Khedive and HMS Trincomalee, Ceylon 1945

y4meritERVUoQ13w_DTvpcgzSCz6P9UfWy2kxTk2

Besides a cursory attempt at a few progress shots during the current Heller GB, this will be my first proper WIP. Feel free to provide comment and critique along the way.

I have already started to assemble both cockpits in preparation for painting. Once I get some colour down, I'll post another update.

Cheers 

• Like 3

Tonight I got the airbrush out and base colour both cockpits with interior green over a black primer, as well as the fuselage halves, sidewalls and control panels.

Still to follow:

• Detail painting
  • Weathering
  • Oil Wash
  • Interior photoetch
  • Final assembly and dull coat

Hopefully start to chip away at the above over the next few nights.

y4mau99BWVoq_e2psKtNRUOeXpmI59_FLDNA2O4a

y4m1OPjToUuNoY-Vux3ehjKRfQr0g8SENOYLe8Fq

Edited by lewis25049
  • Like 2

With a couple of hours at the bench today, the cockpits have been completed. There's a fair bit of coloured PE involved, with 25 pieces for each cockpit. This includes individual levers, which at 1/72 scale they are almost microscopic. Thankfully I only lost 1 in the process. 

Tonight I'll hopefully have the fuselage halves buttoned up for both kits.

Thanks for looking, these were the best macro shots I could manage with the camera on my phone. 

y4mufP129AuAgs33ERyJIGXoWgANGNvHsf91lJKi

y4mA3sct_q3czq0GfKuvdCaiR_-kvWQJrFPHSCis

y4mdfMWORWGFF4nEBA0eDvzvq6aOQP8KqTYbe5-l

• Like 6