1:72 Airfix Shorts Tucano T.1

14 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Really stunning!  Are those masks over the wing landing lights going to remain in place?  

Thanks. The landing lights are a screw-up that I have to fix. The kit panel lines have the lights spanning the top and bottom of the wing. A wraparound so to speak. In reality, they don't wraparound - they're just on the bottom. I didn't catch that until everything was pretty much finished. I haven't figured out how to fix this yet.    🥴

Cheers,

Bill

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, Martian said:

Muchly impressed Bill.

Thanks! Hope you're feeling better.    :)

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

No idea how I missed this one Bill. The Tucano has turned out absolutely superb.

Another magical Bill build!

Thanks Terry! Remember back in school, when the teacher got after you for not paying attention? Well, that's how you missed this build - better run over to my Harrier T.4 thread so you don't miss that one!   :) 

16 minutes ago, Jonners said:

'Like'. Lots!

Thanks Jon! You helped quite a bit.

Still noodling to see if I can figure out a way to fix those lights. I should have cut them out and put some clear plastic there, sanded and polished to shape. But it's a bit late for that now.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 1

That's lovely Bill! It's a pretty basic kit OOB but you've made it shine 😎

Reminds me of happy summer days spent tailchasing in these over North Yorkshire.... tempered only by the niggling feeling you were only ever two c*ck ups away from a Chop Ride 😳

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DougC said:

Reminds me of happy summer days spent tailchasing in these over North Yorkshire.... tempered only by the niggling feeling you were only ever two c*ck ups away from a Chop Ride 😳

Can you translate that? I didn't show up for my pilot-speak class.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

On 2/16/2021 at 11:59 PM, Navy Bird said:

Can you translate that? I didn't show up for my pilot-speak class.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

With pleasure Bill!

Tailchasing = the noble art of "follow my leader", usually involving 2 or 3 aircraft, led by an instructor pilot, starting off with a couple of basic canned manoeuvers but quickly wound up into a series of freeflowing aerobatics in an attempt to see how well you could hang in there! Basically a precursor to full-on Air Combat / Basic Fighter Manoeuvers taught later on the Hawk. The handling & performance of the Tucano made it a great, fun aeroplane to tailchase in - on a good day, solo, over the North York Moors, it was simply the best feeling in the world.... except for the ever-present threat of.....

The Chop Ride = a flight test to assess whether you were up to course standard, usually conducted by a senior examiner after a student had failed a couple of trips & often after a period of remedial training.

No matter how good you were, you were only ever a couple of failed trips away from the chop!

None of which should detract from your lovely Tucano!

Edited by DougC
  • Like 4

@DougC Thanks! I envy you guys who have had the opportunity to fly in these great little airplanes. Now that I'm retired maybe I should go for pilot lessons. I'm pretty sure I can't afford to buy an aircraft, but I can most likely swing the lessons. Unless there's an age limit...     :)

Cheers,

Bill

20 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

@DougC Thanks! I envy you guys who have had the opportunity to fly in these great little airplanes. Now that I'm retired maybe I should go for pilot lessons. I'm pretty sure I can't afford to buy an aircraft, but I can most likely swing the lessons. Unless there's an age limit...     :)

Cheers,

Bill

You never know......  https://www.controller.com/listings/for-sale/shorts/tucano-mk1/aircraft

And they're even on the right side of the Pond for you 😀

• Like 1

Bill, I've just found your build thread and I scanned through the whole six pages at one sitting. I have to say, you made a magnificent job of the Tucano. The cockpit is a jewel, the  chocks are exquisite.

Congratulations, a wonderful build. Thanks for the ride.

Colin

• Thanks 1