Vallejo Model Color

Simon Dyer

Hi Folks

My apologies if Im in the wrong place for this (if so any guidance would be appreciated).

I have searched high & low but got to a stage of 'I cant see for looking and I cant think for thinking'

I have just started a 1/16 VW T1 Campervan for a friend/customer who wants a particular colour.  I have found a good match and bought some Vallejo Model Color Light Turquoise, however Ive only ever used this product on figures, never airbrushed. Again looking online I have found so many different ways to do it I dont know which way to turn, a few examples below

1. Can be used straight from the container

2. Can use normal tap water to a milky consistency (I know of the milky consistency bit)

3. You must only use Vallejo thinners 

All I have is Mig acrylic thinner, Mr Colour Self Leveling thinner, Tamiya Lacquer & Acrylic thinner. Im just looking for a decent finish be it Matt/s-gloss/gloss.  The end lacquer & polishing I should be OK.

Could someone point me in the right direction please before I go mad. 

Many thanks

Kind regards

Si

Vallejo Model Color can be difficult to airbrush.  None of the thinners you listed will work as they're chemically incompatible with Vallejo. Take a look here for guidance: 

The Vallejo Air is very similar in chemistry to the Vallejo Color, but much thinner.  In my experience, the Vallejo acrylics are not the best when it comes to adhesion and durability, and it's better to apply them over a primered surface rather than directly on the bare plastic.  I recommend either a good lacquer-based primer like Tamiya or GSI Creos, or else a sandable water-based acrylic primer like Badger's Stynlrez or Ultimate's. The Vallejo primers will work, but I have not had good results when attempting to sand them or work out defects, either in the primer itself or the underlying surface. 

To airbrush Vallejo Color you'll need to thin it much more than the fluid Vallejo Air colors shown in the video, though the products and methods used will be the same.  I have had acceptable results airbrushing Vallejo Color paints when thinned with a mixture of distilled water and/or Vallejo's own brand Airbrush Thinner with a few drops of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver.  Unlike enamels, lacquers and solvent-based acrylics like Tamiya and GSI Creos, tip dry is a more significant problem with water-miscible acrylics like Vallejo, so I recommend you keep a few cotton swabs or a soft brush on hand while spraying so you can stop and clean the spray head and needle of your airbrush as needed throughout the session with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner or water.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited by GPBooth
Added additional information

Ive used Vallejo model colors on builds. Trick is you must thin it and do a couple if coats. I used Vallejo’s thinner or water mixed in a 2-1 ratio or 1-1 ratio. And used a couple of drops of Vallejo’s air brush cleaner as a paint softener to prevent tip dry. 

I've used Vallejo Model Colors with an airbrush plenty of times and it's no more difficult to use than any other paint of the same type: just thin to the required consistency using ideally their thinner or a mix of water and acrylic retardant.

At the same time I would probably not recommend this kind of paints for a model of a car as these acrylics rarely give you the smooth, gloss finish typical of car paints. For cars there are better paints out there, I know that some modellers use 2-component paints but at worst I'd probably use a gloss enamale rather than Vallejo's. Real car paint is also an option, however I'd rather decant the paint and use it throgh the airbrush rather than spraying from a Halford's can, these cans nozzle generally tend to be a bit too large for modelling purpose. Better use a spray can from say Tamiya.

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive used Vallejo model colors on builds. Trick is you must thin it and do a couple if coats. I used Vallejo’s thinner or water mixed in a 2-1 ratio or 1-1 ratio. And used a couple of drops of Vallejo’s air brush cleaner as a paint softener to prevent tip dry. 

Thank you. Just need to decide what to do now 😱

17 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I've used Vallejo Model Colors with an airbrush plenty of times and it's no more difficult to use than any other paint of the same type: just thin to the required consistency using ideally their thinner or a mix of water and acrylic retardant.

At the same time I would probably not recommend this kind of paints for a model of a car as these acrylics rarely give you the smooth, gloss finish typical of car paints. For cars there are better paints out there, I know that some modellers use 2-component paints but at worst I'd probably use a gloss enamale rather than Vallejo's. Real car paint is also an option, however I'd rather decant the paint and use it throgh the airbrush rather than spraying from a Halford's can, these cans nozzle generally tend to be a bit too large for modelling purpose. Better use a spray can from say Tamiya.

Thank you. I know what you mean about Halfords cans and I don't fancy the idea of decanting it, sounds messy.

Thanks again 

48 minutes ago, halfwit said:

Decanting sounds messy but is actually quite easy (although I do still do it outside). All you need is a plastic straw, a bottle, some cling film and some tape, as here.

Thank you, very interesting. I would assume that once decanted it can go straight in the airbrush without any thinning? 

Thanks again 

Si 

1 hour ago, Simon Dyer said:

Thank you. I know what you mean about Halfords cans and I don't fancy the idea of decanting it, sounds messy.

Thanks again 

59 minutes ago, halfwit said:

Decanting sounds messy but is actually quite easy (although I do still do it outside). All you need is a plastic straw, a bottle, some cling film and some tape, as here.

I only tried that once. Its not for me as I got paint on everything and ruined an A/B bottle as it wouldn't get clean after the attempt. De-canting is most definitely a black art in my book. 

I have several airduster cans with the straw. If it fits I have some leftover Halfords colour cans so will give it a try, won't be for a while but I will let you know how it goes.

I use oven cleaner for the bottles as well as removing the manufacturers chrome, it's very effective.

On 1/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, halfwit said:

Thanks halfwit for your suggestion.  I have taken one of my air-duster nozzles and hose and it fits perfectly to a Halfords spray can👍, Im assuming they are all standard🤞.

I then found an old Badger suction cup lid which I have never used, put this on a bottle and was going to use BluTac to seal it. However on inserting the pipe it came to a stop but with a bit of twisting went through, like a clearance fit almost😱, no need for BluTac.

I did this all inside, I had my extractor on and the window open but could not smell a thing👌.

Thanks again so much, Im really really pleased.  Now I just have to get it right at the business end🙄.

Take care

Si