Heinkel He112B1

Ratch

With a smidge over three weeks left I think I can squeeze this in.

50780364441_3c96109eea_z.jpg

The Heinkel He 112 is a German fighter aircraft designed by Walter and Siegfried Günter. It was one of four aircraft designed to compete for the 1933 fighter contract of the Luftwaffe, in which it came second behind the Messerschmitt Bf 109. Small numbers were used for a short time by the Luftwaffe. Interest was shown, but not fulfilled, by other countries. The final and perhaps most successful customer for the He 112B was Romania. The Forţã Aeronauticã Regalã Românã (Royal Romanian Air Force) ordered 24 aircraft in April, 1939, and increased the order to 30 on 18 August. Deliveries started in June, with the last being delivered on 30 September. By this point, war had broken out, and with better models on the market – including Heinkel's own He 100 – no one else was interested in purchasing the design. The production line was closed after a total of only 98 aircraft, 85 of those being the B series models.

50779596238_6f87865618_z.jpg

The kit is packed in a sturdy tray & lid type of box. The instructions are printed on a single sheet with one exploded diagram illustrating the components and two finish options illustrated. This side of the sheet is printed in French with English and German on the reverse. The decals appear to be in register, although the carrier film appears to have a yellow cast.

50780472012_a0753b52d8_z.jpg

The mouldings are in olive plastic and crisply produced on four runners with an additional clear sprue. Panel lines are raised, but there is moulded detail on the cockpit walls. Alternative nose panels are provided to facilitate BO and BI marques. Transfers are supplied for:

1.      BO III/JG 132 Fürstenwalde 1938

2.      B1 Romanian Air Force, Bessarabia 1942

50780364416_86b29c1183_z.jpg

I have a Falcon Clear-Vax canopy from set No. 5.

Runners are washed and currently drying.

• Like 3

The He 112 has a big chance of becoming no.2 runner behind the 109 in this GB, but it's such a beautiful aeroplane. Go and make Ernst Heinkel proud of his baby!

• Thanks 1

I just came across a piece in the German fighter pilots association magazine written by a well-known Luftwaffe fighter ace. He states (or stated, as he was writing 40 years ago) that preferring the Bf 109 to the He 112 was one of the great failures of the Luftwaffe..

• Like 1

I have assembled the cockpit and airbrushed RLM02 as the base colour. The appropriate panels were glued to the nose cheeks. The instrument details were brush painted and strips of Tamiya tape were cut to make safety harness straps and fitted to seat. 
50787909607_8d5a421d0b_z.jpg
I secured the seat to the starboard fuselage, test fitting with the port side. I constructed the propeller and joined the fuselage trapping the propeller. Even having test fitted, much tape was required to ensure the fuselage met.
50787048083_c64716abb2_z.jpg

• Like 5

Wings Palette, famed for its inaccuracies.  Never model purely from any profiles.  I've seen several photos of these light coloured Heinkels and (as far as can be seen in b&w images) the colour appears to be the prewar light grey often called RML 63 Hellgrau.  Think of the colour usually shown on Spanish Civil War Bf.109s.  Except that 63 was a greenish gray when new, although it did fade to match the civilian light grey varieties used by Lufthansa and other mid-30s users.  The precise shades of these presumably varied between paint suppliers anyway, before they standardised the formulae in the very late 30s.  

• Thanks 1

Nice work Ratch! That's a colourful He-112 you have there, and it's will really pop when the decals go on. Don't envy you the yellow though. Never an easy colour to work with.

• Thanks 1

Nice job! The Heinkel looks superb. Love the colour scheme

Interesting to see the side on profile of the He-112. That seems to be an excessive amount of canopy behind the pilot!

• Thanks 1