Hi all 

This is a stalled build that j picked up again along with my other stalled builds during this crazy year.  

I have been fortunate enough to keep working through the year although working from home which has it's advantages in fuel and travel time. 

This kit is quite nice and I stopped it due to fears over fitting the top wing however after completing the Amodel DH60 I decided I would give it another go  and found it really easy as this one coul be placed on the wing upside down on the workbench and left to dry. Brilliant.  The kit is out of the box .  The mass balances on the ailerons were photo Etch and were soldered together,  rigged with invisible thread and ariel wire is  Ushci fine thread.

Painted with my usual ho to paints of Humbrol enamels and weathered with an oil wash and a silver pencil for chipping. 

I would like to thank those who have supported me in the build and thank you to @Andy Dyck who  very kindly sent me some images to use as backdrobackdrops after seeing his gorgeous Tigermoth  build. So this is a bit of an experiment with the backdrop.  I need to build a buffer base without the framed border.

Anyways enough of the old waffle here are the images.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking I hope you all have a Happy,  Healthy,  Prosperous and Safe New Year.   My best wishes to you all for 2021. 

Edit - I've just realised in my haste to get this over the line I forgot to add exhaust deposits on the fuselage, darn it, I will add it later.

Chris

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

that looks amazing!  Never saw this type before! Very nice  rigging, but it looks not easy! Is it elastics? Backdrop needs a little bit more depth of field eventually. But nice to see that you start with it.

Cheers

Andy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Chris,

that looks amazing!  Never saw this type before! Very nice  rigging, but it looks not easy! Is it elastics? Backdrop needs a little bit more depth of field eventually. But nice to see that you start with it.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, thank you.  It was a bit fiddly but taking it slowly in my case, was rewarded. The rigging is invisible thread which is not elasticated and is inserted into a pilot hole on the lower wing and fuselage and pulled right through the top wing so it looks hairy . The rigging is pulled taught and weighted  and then CA glue is dropped in the holes once dry it is trimmed and holes filled, which results in a very strong biplane model.  I will mount the backround and make a bigger base and see how I get on. Thanks for sending the images .  Hope you had a great Christmas and have a Happy and Safe New Year. 

Chris

Chris,

Lovely finish of a dog of an aircraft - is it symbolic of 2020? 🤣

Glad you got it over the line,

All the best for 2021,

Roger

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

Nice one Chris!  You've inspired me to have a go at rigging, next up!

Thanks Mark, I am looking forward to your build,  what with your previous builds it will be a good one.  

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Lovely finish of a dog of an aircraft - is it symbolic of 2020? 🤣

Glad you got it over the line,

All the best for 2021,

Roger

Thanks Roger 😄, a great comparison.   I am glad I stuck with it as there is something appealing about it .  I do love a large fin flash.

And all the very best for 2021 to you too 

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Nicely done!

These aircraft were based at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, during their service during WW2. Dartmouth is about an hours drive from where I grew up.

Chris

Thanks Chris, interesting and local connection  there,  now you have to build it!!!

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

You've made a great looking model there! I had no idea that this aircraft existed - it's not a looker... 

Thanks Wellspring, I had never seen it before  and came across the kit on Ebay.  I fell for the camouflage scheme and the large finflash and the way the U/C sits.   I think it is a licence built version of the Fifi.  Definitely not a looker but it is attractive in other ways.  I wish I had added an ignition harness to the very exposed engine.  

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Very nice work there, Chris. Well done for persevering with it.

Thanks Vinnie,  I am glad I carried on with it, the top wing fitting was more or less accidental really,  a bit of luck!!!

2 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Superb job. I have to say you are braver than I with that rigging - looks great. 

Thanks Forest Fan, the rigging is actually very simple and would encourage you and others to have a go.  It used to scare me, but once I had done a simple kit and rigged it, I tried another and love it now.

22 minutes ago, swralph said:

Lovely build.😀

Thanks swralph, very kind.

Thanks everyone your kind comments are very much appreciated and I wish you all the very best for 2021, happy New Year. 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Lovely build of an aircraft I've never seen before Chris, every day is a learning day!

Thanks Neil,  yes it is an unusual machine with not a good reputation,  but there's just something about it, I just had to get one.   

Thanks 

Chris

What a fantabulous model! Ionospherically above the highest standard I ever reached during my model making days way back in the cretinaceous era.

I would not know if it would be possible at this stage of the game, but, if so, the substitution of red/blue B-type roundels for the current A-type would enhance the accuracy.

I am delighted to see such an excellent model of the grotesque and ghastly Goblin which is, to my mind, the most useless and certainly the most reluctantly acquired RCAF aircraft. A brief historical summary is that CC & F had 16 left on their hands that could not be delivered to Republican Spain and spent the next year and a half trying to flog them to various potential buyers. The RCAF, by an enormous amount of bobbing, ducking and weaving managed to avoid being saddled with them until the summer of 1940 when political pressure compelled their purchase. Even then, having been parked outside for a couple of years, it took the better part of another year to make them fit for operational service. They only served with 118 (F) for a few months until replaced by Kittyhawks. Nobody seems to have taken them seriously except, possibly, the CC & F directors who probably laughed all the way to the bank! The squadron personnel dubbed the type “the Pregnant Frog”, an obvious reference to its markedly gravid contours.

I did a tremendous amount of research on this story four decades ago and I would love to share it with anybody interested.

Carl       

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Chris.  I did this one a few years ago, also as RE*W.  I also had an issue with the top wing, I'm still careful not to pick it up by the top wing!

Greetings Carl V!  I appreciate your High Flight series from the early 1980s, I have all of them.  I found them useful for the Goblin and currently for the RCAF Douglas Digby which I'm currently dealing with!  I also used your multi part article on RCAF Sqd 1/401 Hurricane articles for two Hurricane models.  Decades later, still the definitive work for a number of aircraft in my opinion!

Happy new Year!

George W

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Carl V said:

What a fantabulous model! Ionospherically above the highest standard I ever reached during my model making days way back in the cretinaceous era.

I would not know if it would be possible at this stage of the game, but, if so, the substitution of red/blue B-type roundels for the current A-type would enhance the accuracy.

I am delighted to see such an excellent model of the grotesque and ghastly Goblin which is, to my mind, the most useless and certainly the most reluctantly acquired RCAF aircraft. A brief historical summary is that CC & F had 16 left on their hands that could not be delivered to Republican Spain and spent the next year and a half trying to flog them to various potential buyers. The RCAF, by an enormous amount of bobbing, ducking and weaving managed to avoid being saddled with them until the summer of 1940 when political pressure compelled their purchase. Even then, having been parked outside for a couple of years, it took the better part of another year to make them fit for operational service. They only served with 118 (F) for a few months until replaced by Kittyhawks. Nobody seems to have taken them seriously except, possibly, the CC & F directors who probably laughed all the way to the bank! The squadron personnel dubbed the type “the Pregnant Frog”, an obvious reference to its markedly gravid contours.

I did a tremendous amount of research on this story four decades ago and I would love to share it with anybody interested.

Carl       

Thanks Carl, very kind of you indeed.  I daren't  try any changes now due to the delicate details I fear may be damaged.  I could have done with meeting you a few years ago.  It is a very interesting back story and although they are ungainly looking things this makes it a good subject to model. I do like the way it sits on the ground .  I won't build another though myself.   There is a RCAF group build thread started to register interest so my be worth signing up to that one .  I have signed up.

2 hours ago, George W. said:

Nice work Chris.  I did this one a few years ago, also as RE*W.  I also had an issue with the top wing, I'm still careful not to pick it up by the top wing!

Greetings Carl V!  I appreciate your High Flight series from the early 1980s, I have all of them.  I found them useful for the Goblin and currently for the RCAF Douglas Digby which I'm currently dealing with!  I also used your multi part article on RCAF Sqd 1/401 Hurricane articles for two Hurricane models.  Decades later, still the definitive work for a number of aircraft in my opinion!

Happy new Year!

George W

Thanks George and Happy New Year to you too.  It did start that way too but once the centre struts were in place it made it quite rigid.  Plus with the invisible thread used for the rigging it is solid now.  

1 hour ago, Epeeman said:

Great work, Chris!

Coming over to join me in the 'dark side' then building a biplane?!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave very kind, crikey it's been a year of biplanes for me, After my Tigermoth I could put them down and did a Cirrus Moth, a Stearman , this one and a half built Camel, well and truly on the dark side now, what have you on the go Dave ?

Thanks everyone have a Happy and safe New Year 

Chris

I love it!  One of the nicest Butt-ugly airplanes I've seen. I've always toyed with the idea of bashing a J2F Duck to make one in 1/48th.  Thanks to you, the idea has resurfaced.

Happy New Year,

Colin

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pinback said:

Very nice! Lovely finish. :)

(I've just noticed your On work bench and you have a VW Beetle - Would love to see that when its completed!)

Thanks Pinback,  very kind.  Crikey now that is a stalled build.  I had a lovely  Beetle and have cast my own wheels (Porsche Riviera replicas) I kept them when I sold the car and transferred them to my Fastback in my Avatar.

I may have to pick that up again and finish it.

Thanks and Happy New Year 

Chris

4 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I love it!  One of the nicest Butt-ugly airplanes I've seen. I've always toyed with the idea of bashing a J2F Duck to make one in 1/48th.  Thanks to you, the idea has resurfaced.

Happy New Year,

Colin

Thanks Colin  yes I do find it strangely appealing.   The Duck to make one, wow that will be very interesting indeed.  Glad to have helped get the old cogs moving there.  I hope you would do a WIP  for that. 

Happy New Year to you too

Chris

I`d like to say it looks gorgeous Chris,..... but I cannot,....... however I do think that you have got the tubby little thing off to a tee and it looks superb. Imagine having to fly these in the fighter role during WW2,.... the mind boggles and thank goodness that Canada was well out of range of aerial attack apart from balloons.

You`ve done a fantatic job with the double rigging lines,..... very impressive and the paint finish is sublime!

Happy New Year mate,

Tony   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Happy New Year,

Colin

You could look for one of these: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RVH48004?result-token=ctOAg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

I`d like to say it looks gorgeous Chris,..... but I cannot,....... however I do think that you have got the tubby little thing off to a tee and it looks superb. Imagine having to fly these in the fighter role during WW2,.... the mind boggles and thank goodness that Canada was well out of range of aerial attack apart from balloons.

You`ve done a fantatic job with the double rigging lines,..... very impressive and the paint finish is sublime!

Happy New Year mate,

Tony   

Thanks Tony, yes it has a look only a mothership could love, but just has a chunky appeal.  Thanks for your kind comments fella, hope you have a Happy New Year too. 

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

You could look for one of these: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RVH48004?result-token=ctOAg

Chris

That's interesting, although would it be easier to convert from the original Grumman F2F ??? If anyone does a model. 

Chris

• Like 1

Brilliant job on this Canadian Fifi! I have this kit, and if I ever get around to it, I'd like to do it in the Canadian/British-type scheme, like yours. I've already done one in a Spanish Republican scheme.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1