Yugoslav Airlines BAC 1-11

CliffB

One of my guilty pleasures is buying the occassional 1/200 scale diecast airliner model.

A few years ago I bought a Ryanair BAC 1-11, which turned out to be faulty, as you can see from these photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thankfully, I managed to get a full refund for the model (thanks to my credit card company), and even got to keep it for my trouble :).

About a year ago I decided to rub the paintwork down and re-finish it as a Yugoslav Airlines (JAT), aircraft, using a combination of aftermarket decals for a JAT Caravelle and a generic window/door set for a DC-9 (which is close enough).

Unfortunately I soon ran into 2020 Group Build overload and the BAC 1-11 stalled.  Here's how it is at present.

P1110866.JPG

I've re-finished the wings, stabiliser and engine nacelles. and have started to mask-up ready for re-spraying the fuselage.  As you can see, I'm hoping to retain the original cockpit windows, by carefully masking over them.

I'd like to get this off my desk before the 2021 GB season starts :thumbsup2:

Cheers

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward now, with the wings masked and the first couple of coats of white primer on the fuselage.

P1110886.JPG

It will need a gentle sand and then one or two further coats, before moving on to the blue tail.

Cheers

• Like 1

The painting's now finished and my attempts to retain the original cockpit glazing (by masking), have been successful :).

Decals and finish over the next couple of days....

P1110897.JPG

Cheers

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, stevehnz said:

That looks like a good save. Looking forward to the finished item. :)

Steve.

Thaks Steve.  It's all done now! 

P1120001.JPG

Cheers

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

The original finish was pants for a model that's sold as finished but you've made a great job of resurrecting it in a new livery.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  The pimples turned out to be in the casting, so I think the fuselage must have missed a polishing stage at the factory.  

I bought it online in a closing down sale at a US model shop, which didn't help when trying to get a refund!  All credit to my card company (no pun intended :D).