VW Beetle Work in progress(maybe)

Foxy1972

So for my 6th adventure into scale modelling I decided to move away from motorcycles and try something new.. Namely a car and weathering.. So even tho it will be slow going I decided to post a WIP mainly so I may be able to get some help and advice along the way.. 

So my first stage.. Body panels primed with vallejo German Red overlaid with 2 of the darker colours from the vellejo rust range.. I'm happy with the result I think but just wondering if I should apply some lighter colours are add more darker in  areas etc? Also I assume this should be sealed prior to any topcoat and hairspray chipping salt weathering etc? spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You could possibly try a bit of clear orange. At the moment it's all a bit red oxide primer. Well, to me anyway.

I have 3 lighter shades of rust... Light rust, orange rust and yellow ocre... Maybe put a mix of these in somewhere? 

I'd say bits of each in specific places. Beetles rusted at different rates in different places. 

Panel edges were worst, so shades of dark there. Even the rain gutters!

The centres of doors, bonnet etc would be lighter in colour and only slightly rusty.

Thin orange streaks running down from door handles, badges, trim etc.

There must be pictures on line somewhere. There were....!

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/A25MDE/rusty-old-vw-beetle-car-A25MDE.jpg

https://res.cloudinary.com/fleetnation/image/private/c_fit,w_1120/g_south,l_text:style_gothic2:© Rob Wilkinson Photographer,o_20,y_10/g_center,l_watermark4,o_25,y_50/v1550497460/wfju0hyydjdpbkjon8yj.jpg

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/rusted-volkswagen-bug-picture-id590632621?s=612x612

• Thanks 1

OK so listening to a comment and thinking ahhh why not I'll play with some other colours and techniques... So i used a sponge to apply a mix rust colour in several places... Hopefully it's an improvement not a step backwards.. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

I can't offer you any advice,  as I have never tried this myself.   Just want to say that your second go is definitely a vast improvement (although I'd have been happy with your first attempt), especially the roof.  Good work 👏 Andy

If I may offer this...the colour is much improved...however...what is spoiling the effect is the lack of surface 'corrosion'...the body is far too smooth...you need to introduce rust damage to the panels...especially the 'edges'.

Rust occurs on different levels...as the metal corrodes it blisters...causing holes obviously...but also the panels swell in areas...and this is what is missing.

IMHO...if you introduce these effects it will be more believable.

Regards

Ron

14 minutes ago, silver911 said:

If I may offer this...the colour is much improved...however...what is spoiling the effect is the lack of surface 'corrosion'...the body is far too smooth...you need to introduce rust damage to the panels...especially the 'edges'.

Rust occurs on different levels...as the metal corrodes it blisters...causing holes obviously...but also the panels swell in areas...and this is what is missing.

IMHO...if you introduce these effects it will be more believable.

Regards

Ron

Thanks for the input.. I think I will steer away from holes rot etc for now as I'm still less than 12 months into modelling I don't want to run before I can walk... However I may try dabbing some filler along the arched or door edges and repaint hopefully this will give some kind of corrosion effect? 

• Like 1

As a general rule, less is more. I'd use just tiny amounts on the door bottoms and the back of the arches. Too much may spoil the model.

Then, do you have any PVA (white) glue? Tiny amounts of that applied with a cocktail stick in typical rusty spots.

So that's mostly the front (stonechips) edges of the arches, bits of the roof and bottom of the bodywork in front of the rear arch.

Spray your topcoat and then you can carefully peel off the PVA before the topcoat is fully dry to reveal the rust.

You may want to practice this on something first though. 

I do like the new lighter rusty bits BTW

2 hours ago, Foxy1972 said:

Thanks for the input.. I think I will steer away from holes rot etc for now as I'm still less than 12 months into modelling I don't want to run before I can walk... However I may try dabbing some filler along the arched or door edges and repaint hopefully this will give some kind of corrosion effect? 

It's often best to have a search online for pics of rusty real ones - this will show most accurately where particular cars suffer from rust, in particular where the bodyshell is likely to be perforated by corrosion and thus take the guess work out of what to make it look like.  However, with Beetles, many just show heavily sun bleached & worn paint with resulting surface rust like you have shown so far, as that look is popular on these cars.

• Like 1

This will be the last pics off this stage.. OK so I've added some filler to simulate corrosion. I think I'm done with the rust base now.... My question is am I OK to seal with acrylic varnish baring in mind it's an acrylic base and it will be an acrylic top coat I've the chipping... Sorry if that a noob question but hey I'm a noob and I've read that you should use an enamel clear coat to seal? 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Foxy1972
  • Like 5

The corrosion came out okay. A little terminal maybe :laugh: but it'll probably pass the MOT.

I think you need to read up on the hairspray chipping method. It's all on here somewhere.

I'd like to help, but I still haven't got around to doing it myself!

I'm also not sure if the enamel will affect the acrylic. I just use one or the other alone.

So for my next stage I decided to tackle the engine and again with a rusty look.. Spent a couple of days looking at photos trying to decide how to go about... In the end I did away with the air brush and paint brushes all this was done by sponge dabbing various colours.. As all this is new to me I'm posting this WIP more for my benifit to help me progress.. So comments, advice and constructive criticism is welcomed.. Although it looks worn I appreciate it still may look clean.. So i may add some washes to it before the final clear coat... (I think lol

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Images may look brighter than the colours actually are... 

• Like 9

Looking really good!  The oxidation on the gearbox casing in particular is very convincing.  Sump plug area looks a tad too clean though 😉

• Thanks 1

Might be worth looking at what the armor boys do.  I think powders might be a way for you, but I have never tried them.  Check out Humbrols YouTube channel as they show how to use their powders

Well things came to a hault whilst I tried to figure out the best way to go about painting and fitting parts to the chassis... Still haven't worked it out so thought I'd try my hand at hairspray chipping on the wheels.. Didn't turn out like I'd imagined but I'm still pretty happy with the look.... spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

The wheels, and especially the hubcaps look great to me.

As for chassis staining, get a cheap set of oil paint tubes and practice on scraps of plastic or tin cans.

It takes days to dry and you only need to dab on small amounts with a flat ended brush. But it can give great effects.

Oh, you can thin it with white spirit/turps.

• Thanks 1

I like this , you have created some great effects  especially on the engine and gearbox casings and the engine tinware and ancillaries too, the wheels look flippin amazing and the effects on the hubcaps phenomenal.   You have captured the look of the effects very well. 

The body does look good too although there may be some paint left in certain areas generally that may not gave been removed by the rust, but someone could have bare metalled the car and not got round to finishing.  

It would just need someone to come along fix the floorpans and add a hot motor add some shiney wheels and cover in anchor wax and you would have an awesome Ratlooker.

Great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I like this , you have created some great effects  especially on the engine and gearbox casings and the engine tinware and ancillaries too, the wheels look flippin amazing and the effects on the hubcaps phenomenal.   You have captured the look of the effects very well. 

The body does look good too although there may be some paint left in certain areas generally that may not gave been removed by the rust, but someone could have bare metalled the car and not got round to finishing.  

It would just need someone to come along fix the floorpans and add a hot motor add some shiney wheels and cover in anchor wax and you would have an awesome Ratlooker.

Great work 

Chris

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words they are much appreciated... 

On the subject of the body shell I'm still undecided on where I'm going with that, my initial intention was to paint it but use a lot of salt and hair spray chipping so that it would actually have paint on although very worn rusty  and sun faded... I guess I'll re assess it and decide once I've sorted out the rest of the model... Namely the interior as I have no idea how I'm going to go about tackling that yet.. 

Regards Richard 

Hi Richard 

I hope you don't think that I was telling you what to do, it's your model after all fella.  I am sure a Google search of Rat look Beetles may give you an all over rusty one or two  that have been created.  

I am sure what ever you do it it will look fantastic. 

Chris

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Richard 

I hope you don't think that I was telling you what to do, it's your model after all fella.  I am sure a Google search of Rat look Beetles may give you an all over rusty one or two  that have been created.  

I am sure what ever you do it it will look fantastic. 

Chris

No of course I didn't think that.... Any thoughts opinions comments etc are always welcomed..... And I appreciate yours and everyone else's opinions... Thus is my first attempt at both a car and weathering so I posted on here for the intention if getting peoples views opinions and advice :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Foxy1972 said:

No of course I didn't think that.... Any thoughts opinions comments etc are always welcomed..... And I appreciate yours and everyone else's opinions... Thus is my first attempt at both a car and weathering so I posted on here for the intention if getting peoples views opinions and advice :)

No worries,  I haven't built a car for ages myself, usually build winged things, but I uncovered my half built Beetle model last week which is a replica of my last Beetle and might have to restart it sometime soon. 

I have not been down in the vehicle section for ages either so sorry all.

Chris