1/72 - North American P-51B/C/F.6 Mustang Mk.III/D by Arma Hobby - P-51B/C & F.6 released - P-51D in 2023 ?

Homebee

Arma Hobby is to release in 2021 a 1/72nd North American P-51B/C Mustang kit.

Source: http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2020/12/30/arma-hobby-new-kit-announcements-for-2021/

Sprues design & 3D renders

P-51 B/C MUSTANG™ 1/72

We have a great pleasure to announce a kit you asked for a long time. The P-51 B/C Mustang release is planned in the second quarter of 2021. In the box, you can find parts to build both USAAF P-51B/C, RAF Mustang Mk III and reconnaissance F-6C. Kit features both regular and Malcolm Hood canopies moulded in open and closed positions. Optional are dorsal fin and different styles of inspection panels for an air filter. Under-wing stores included in the set are bombs, 110 and 75 gal fuel tanks.

First Expert Set edition will include photoetched parts, canopy/wheel masks and decals with six markings options (4 x USAAF and 2 x RAF).

Please review 3D renderings below. Your comments and questions are very appreciated. Design and kit content may change during production.

p51b-render-ramka-A-01.jpg

p51b-render-ramka-B-01.jpg

p51b-render-ramka-T-01.jpg

p51b-render-01.jpg

p51b-render-03.jpg

p51b-render-04.jpg

p51b-render-05.jpg

p51b-render-07.jpg

p51b-render-08.jpg

p51b-render-09.jpg

p51b-render-10.jpg

p51b-render-11.jpg

p51b-render-12.jpg

p51b-render-13.jpg

p51b-render-15.jpg

p51b-render-17.jpg

p51b-render-18.jpg

p51b-render-20.jpg

p51b-render-xx.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - North American P-51B/C Mustang by Arma Hobby - 3D renders+sprues design - release in 2021

The purchase quantities keep climbing - looks like Arma will have to hire an extra shift to run the molding machines! :lol: Who said, "A new, accurate 1/72 P-51B/C would be a licence to print money"? Seems they were right!

John

• Like 4

They've obviously been reading Britmodeller!  Had half expected it, as it has strong Polish 'associations' and have high hopes they will get the curious 'gull wing' at the inner leading edge correct.

F4F was predictable as the FM-2 has the the lower clear panels.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bedders said:

Needs the early style seat. 

But OMG...

Justin

Justin, look at their 3D drawings and sprue layout again. 

S-L-O-W-L-Y, exhale, look again, and you will see in their sprue diagram what looks like both early and late seat variants. Top sprue, top of sprue beside the wing flaps looks like seat back and seat pan for late style seat, early style seat right hand side of same sprue, half way down just below the exhausts and above the tail wheel.  Also if you look at the cockpit drawings/renders, you will see some have the early style seat and some have the later style seat.

I suspect that if it lives up to what is shown above, it is going to be a very popular release for them.

Some are already nit picking on the wing leading edge extension looking like it could be too pronounced, more like that on the P-51D, but comparing to the factory drawings and a lot of photos of the real thing, I think they are pretty close.  Again they have time to get feedback and tweak it before release if needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ll have to wait for the Yak-9, but I definitely want the F-6 version, well done Arma !

Wulfman

PS.  I’m up for the Hurricane Mk. IIa, llb, lld, and the Sea Hurricane, looks like Hurricane heaven !

Edited by Wulfman
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ColFord said:

Justin, look at their 3D drawings and sprue layout again. 

S-L-O-W-L-Y, exhale, look again, and you will see in their sprue diagram what looks like both early and late seat variants. Top sprue, top of sprue beside the wing flaps looks like seat back and seat pan for late style seat, early style seat right hand side of same sprue, half way down just below the exhausts and above the tail wheel.  Also if you look at the cockpit drawings/renders, you will see some have the early style seat and some have the later style seat.

I suspect that if it lives up to what is shown above, it is going to be a very popular release for them.

Some are already nit picking on the wing leading edge extension looking like it could be too pronounced, more like that on the P-51D, but comparing to the factory drawings and a lot of photos of the real thing, I think they are pretty close.  Again they have time to get feedback and tweak it before release if needed.

Thanks Colin, I've now fully regained my composure, and indeed found the seat. Yep, looks good. On the wing root kinks, they do indeed look slightly over-pronounced on one or two of the 3-D renders, but on the sprue pics they look about right to me. One other thing I hope they get right is the modified/built-up cockpit sill to accommodate the Malcolm hood on those aircraft. Easy to miss even in 1/48 as Tamiya did, and perhaps a bit micro for 1/72. One question I had was whether B/C models really used the louvred breather vents on the lower nose. Not in NW Europe as far as I'm aware, but perhaps they did in places like Burma?

Justin

• Like 1

Just one note to Arma Hobby:

The panels on the engine cowlings that are either closed, have cooling holes or have louvers on them do sit flush means are not protruding on the real AC like the renders suggest.

All the rest does look utterly breathtaking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bedders said:

Thanks Colin, I've now fully regained my composure, and indeed found the seat. Yep, looks good. On the wing root kinks, they do indeed look slightly over-pronounced on one or two of the 3-D renders, but on the sprue pics they look about right to me. One other thing I hope they get right is the modified/built-up cockpit sill to accommodate the Malcolm hood on those aircraft. Easy to miss even in 1/48 as Tamiya did, and perhaps a bit micro for 1/72. One question I had was whether B/C models really used the louvred breather vents on the lower nose. Not in NW Europe as far as I'm aware, but perhaps they did in places like Burma?

Justin

I think I saw a photo of Mustandg Mk.III. But probably from Italy or the Balkans. But where did I see it...

• Like 1