160 - 1/43 Peugeot 203 pickup conversion - FINISHED

JeroenS

I have completed my Scania with a month to spare and have nothing pressing lined up so I thought I'd get right back in the melee. 

I just ordered the kit with some other stuff I needed from my LHS which is closed because of Covid, but they're still sending out orders. It seems that the box with goodies will arrive on January 5th so that's when I'll make a start.

• Like 2

Postie was at the door earlier this evening. She didn't bring this box,

20210105201023-45327877-me.jpg

but a more modern boxing. However, I fancied the old black box 🙂 

The 203 was introduced in 1948 and became quite a success. It has a lovely classic shape. 

• Like 1

So, let's make a start. 

Hello, I'm a Peugeot 203, look at my shapely lines.... 

20210105201024-aec94794-me.jpg

Am I not a pleasure to look at? 

20210105201025-0bb84066-me.jpg

Oy, someone has been sanding off my chrome door trim!

And hullo, what's this? What are those pencil lines doing there? 

20210105201025-6c28001c-me.jpg

Wait, what are you doing? No. No. Nooooo... 

20210105201020-84c3e85e-me.jpg

Sorry luv, it had to happen. Now, there there, it's all over... stop crying. 

You see, when I started looking for reference pics of the 203 I came across this: 

20210105202834-2381b44b-me.jpg

(hope you don't mind, E&R Classics, for showing this pic, this thing is so cool)

I knew then and there that my 203 would go to the chop shop and that I would be making a pick-up version. 

And before I could get second or third thoughts I chopped the body! There's no turning back now... 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Aah, that's an interesting choice of conversion, I really like the idea. Looking forward to follow your take on this.

Yes. Lots of dryfitting and headscratching in the near future. 

• JeroenS changed the title to 160 - 1/43 Peugeot 203 pickup conversion
2 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Jeroen

Those wooden coffee stirrers will be ideal for making the pickup sides and floor, even comes with its own wood grain effect !

Best of luck

Cheers Pat

Yeah I need to get me some of those. The sides are metal on this one, the floor is metal as well with some inlaid wooden planks (I don't know if "inlaid" is the correct term)

I saw an old Mercedes 170 pickup while we were on holiday once, (back in the old days when you could leave the house !)

It was in a terrible state and needed rescuing, Mrs Jockney however was unmoved by the plight it was in, so there it remains :weep:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I saw an old Mercedes 170 pickup while we were on holiday once, (back in the old days when you could leave the house !)

It was in a terrible state and needed rescuing, Mrs Jockney however was unmoved by the plight it was in, so there it remains :weep:

Cheers Pat 

Aw shame!

Hi Jeroen,

chopping a 203 is utterly heretic! Lucky you the Holy Inquisition is staying home because of the pandemic!

One of my neighbors had one such pick-up and the back was always full of cabbages... Go figure. In my mind, the cabbages and their smell have always been associated with the Peugeot 203...

A quick calculation shows that at 1/43 scale, a cabbage is about 0.7 cm diameter. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it! 250 cabbages to scratch build... a walk in the park!

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Jeroen,

chopping a 203 is utterly heretic! Lucky you the Holy Inquisition is staying home because of the pandemic!

One of my neighbors had one such pick-up and the back was always full of cabbages... Go figure. In my mind, the cabbages and their smell have always been associated with the Peugeot 203...

A quick calculation shows that at 1/43 scale, a cabbage is about 0.7 cm diameter. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it! 250 cabbages to scratch build... a walk in the park!

Have fun!

JR

So, not only did your neighbour entertain cabbages in the back of his 203, but also a very precise amount of them... fascinating. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

So, not only did your neighbour entertain cabbages in the back of this 203, but also a very precise amount of them... fascinating. 

Did I mention that every day he polished his car and recounted all his cabbages? That is the very car I used to sneak in, make engine noises and dream up the most ghastly accidents where the cabbages had the lead role... That is, until the day he came back for his car way too early... still a painful memory.

Are you going to paint your sacrilege on wheels a bright orange, like on the box art?

That would be fitting for a Dutch modeller!

Have a lot of sacrilegious fun!

JR

• Haha 1

Back in the 1970's I was living in Chester and used to see a farmer with sheep on the back seat of his old Rolls Royce. I would imagine that back in those days the fertile and flat plains of Cheshire were a darned sight easier and more profitable to farm than say the Welsh hill farms, and an old and unfashionable Roller would not be that expensive and a darned sight more reliable than some of the modern "rustbuckets" about at the time.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

(Very) small update, I managed a few hours tonight. There's not a whole lot to see apart from bits that are removed. 

20210109220813-0cf074ff-me.jpg

Still, I've done a lot of the headscratching but didn't think that was picture-worthy 🙂 

I filled in the "sunroof" and started on the side panels which will need a lot more work as you can see. I figured out that the best thing to do was to leave the rear axle "mount" in the right place and chop off the rest. The rear cab wall can be fitted (and made, first, of course) when those side panels are in good order. That area will need quite a bit of work I think. 

The whole thing is quite small but luckily I finished three 1/72 trucks in the past couple of weeks so it does feel a bit comfortable. 

• Like 3

More work on the body this morning. My cut was (of course) not perfect, on one side I came up short on the bottom panel so a fix was needed. This is just the way I usually work so no biggie. Either I think everything through to the extreme, but nothing will ever happen. Or I just start cutting and see where I end up, which normally results in some fixing afterwards, but at least something will have been done. 

I glued in some strip on the inside of the cab for support, then on the side.

20210110085848-932277f1-me.jpg

I use TET whenever I can so it was ready for file and sand paper after a short break. There, better already. 

20210110085847-f92a7192-me.jpg

The cuts are now as square as I can get them. 

20210110085846-f899f8ce-me.jpg

Now, more filler. 

• Like 3

The day was spent getting the body in a better shape, mainly the side panels. This was after this morning's call of "more filler". 

20210110171829-90a22f2d-me.jpg

20210110171830-06953739-me.jpg

Let's add some primer and check things out. 

This side is getting there. 

20210110171831-a160e747-me.jpg

The other, not so much. 

20210110171831-735d4344-me.jpg

Alright, more filler, more primer, more sanding!

Eventually this is today's result. Pretty good. 

20210110171832-1ee05c28-me.jpg

20210110171838-d10db8b6-me.jpg

A nice final wet sanding should sort things nicely. 

In the meantime, while waiting for filler to dry, I added wheel nuts to the wheels. The wheels are not great, no tread on the tyres, but they look a bit more interesting now. 

20210110171832-705147c8-me.jpg

There are hub caps supplied but I'm not using them, every photo of the pickup has the plain rims with wheel nuts showing. 

Anyway, I can now start work on the cab's rear wall. 

• Like 5

I have cut the parts of the floor pan and the "tub" to size to accommodate the rear wall, which I cut to shape. 

20210113205200-bb7f4aa1-me.jpg

It fits like this. 

20210113205200-3867d2d4-me.jpg

The edges still need a little sanding, but they should stick out like this. 

20210113205158-d3b3cdbc-me.jpg

Now the rear wall needs two windows and some strips.... The windows will be a challenge. 

• Like 5

It is neat. I like it. I wondered if they relocated the fuel tank to behind the seat. A quick google found a picture which shows that they did.

Nice chunky tyres on this one too. I like the four door station wagon/break version too. Though it was probably a bit slow when loaded up!

https://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay133200.jpg

This one has windows in the cab rear. Not a fan of the colour. And,is that wood on the wheel hub?

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/d2/c5/e1/peugeot-203-pick-up-de.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It is neat. I like it. I wondered if they relocated the fuel tank to behind the seat. A quick google found a picture which shows that they did.

Nice chunky tyres on this one too. I like the four door station wagon/break version too. Though it was probably a bit when loaded up!

https://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay133200.jpg

This one has windows in the cab rear. Not a fan of the colour. And,is that wood on the wheel hub?

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/d2/c5/e1/peugeot-203-pick-up-de.jpg

It does look like wood on the wheel hub! Very creative. I'm planning on the dark grey-ish colour, with the metal "bin" but without the tarpaulin cover. It's too bad the kit wheels are a bit disappointing, just simple plastic discs. 

• Like 1

The Peugeot conversion is coming along really nicely Jeroen. Do like to watch a bit of plastic surgery going on with a kit. Have you decided on a colour yet? Maybe a nice utilitarian colour like the photo of the restored example?

Steve

• Like 1