Chimpion's new additions 2020

Chimpion

I had been hoping to get a few more over the line before the end of the year, but I think they'll now be 2021 completions. These are the one's that did make it - many of them were started in previous years but all year completed this year.

The first was the main focus over the Christmas break last year, Italeri's 1:24 Lancia Stratos in the classic Al Italia livery (I think it was originally an ESCI kit). 

spacer.png

A quick build was the Academy 1:72 WW2 light vehicle set. At least, two thirds of it was quick - the Jeep is still waiting for paint. The Kubelwagen and Kettenkrad are very small models and I had much fun hunting on the floor for even smaller dropped parts.

spacer.png

During the first lockdown I completed the Airfix 1:32 Bugatti type 35B in the track version (lights and mudguards omitted)

spacer.png

and the Dapol (ex Airfix) 15T diesel crane. I managed to assemble this with the crane mounted and rigged in completely the wrong position (at the top of the cab). It was only when I had a pulley left at the end that I realised my mistake. I managed to recover and correct it, but I did have to join two pieces of rigging as I had to cut away the original rigging and couldn't redo it completely from scratch as part of it was already wound inside the closed up cab.

spacer.png

A summer staycation helped get the next two over the line. First was the Italeri 1:24 Lamborghini Miura (another ex-ESCI kit).

spacer.png

followed closely by one which I started over Christmas 2018 and was the first one I used my airbrush (a Christmas present that year) on. I didn't get a great finish as it involved much experimentation with thinner ratios, pressure and spraying distance, but it looks good in the display cabinet. It's Revell's 1:24 Ferrari 512TR.

spacer.png

The final "completion" is the Heller 1:24 Citröen B14 Normande. This had been on the shelf of doom for a couple of years and I decided it was never going to improve much over its current state so put the final touches to it and called it done. One of the canopy hooks is missing - I expect at some point I'll find it and stick it on.

spacer.png

Overall it's a much better completion rate than I usually manage - aided by the large number of kits already started.

• Like 7