L749 Lockheed Constellation Kit No 310

TonyW

Looking super Tony! :popcorn:.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:55 AM, TonyW said:

The Lufthansa boxing of the Super Constellation got an absolute stunner of a picture used. I'll be looking for one of these to add to the collection at some point for sure.

It does, and with the VW as well?

• Like 1

The Constellation has been sitting with the wings held in position for a couple of days and the glue has set nice and hard.

20210108-123655.jpg

The nose got a few more lead pellets and the canopy added and then the wings got a polish with T Cut and a bit of S 'n J powder tried.  Not the final polish, more a trial to see how things look. The shine was good, but the raised panel lines less so. They stood out a bit too much for my liking.

20210108-123706.jpg

Flatting the other wing off with 1000 grit paper to knock the raised lines down a bit, followed by re-polishing, see's things looking much better. I'll be sanding the whole airframe down to match.

20210108-123721.jpg

Related, but not part of this build, how about this latest arrival, A Super Constellation for £20!  A badly listed Ebay auction that came in for me. I doubt I'll get it done during the GB but it will be done soon enough.

20210109-135308.jpg

Checking out the contents see's everything in perfect order. The decal sheet has an unfortunate layout as far as the TWA markings go, which made me smile. 

20210109-135318.jpg

More on the Constellation over the weekend.

Tony.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

but the raised panel lines less so. They stood out a bit too much for my liking.

I like the look of what you have done already! 

That's interesting about the raised lines and details..... I've found that Ali foil really picks up rivets and lines and magnifies them by 10. Even when they can barely be felt with fingers. I think your rubbing process is creating a similar visual thing. 

The 2nd wing has success written all over it, though. 

Superb value for your £20!! But look what Heller Humbrol have written on the box.... ‼️

Super G.... 😅🤭

The seller was right 

• Like 1

Yesterday I spent some time flatting off the fuselage topsides, then firing on multiple coats of white primer after masking the wings. After a bit of force drying on a radiator, a couple of small areas needed attention. I filled these with superfine white milliput and left them to harden overnight.

This morning see's a bit of a disaster. I seems I must have mixed two of the same parts of the milliput as nothing has gone off. I used the superfine white as I thought it would save a bit of priming. I now have to carefully remove all the fiddly filling I did on the wing roots, tail joints, cabin windows and engine cowls. The carefully shaped nose piece has to be done again as well. Curses. As I mixed the resin, I did wonder why one pack was shorter than the other. Now I know. I must have another pair just like that in my tool chest.

Oh well, only a day and a bit wasted. 

Tony.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

I did wonder why one pack was shorter than the other. Now I know.

It would be unkindly to put a smiley or laughy face on this trial and tribulation, but it did bring a faint half-smile, a sense of relief really, to know that I'm not the only one...... 

Upwards and onwards ⤴️🤞

• Haha 2

It's a setback really, not terminal, thank goodness. It does show how things can come at you from unexpected directions though.

Yesterday was very mild here, so I spent the day working outside. No modelling got attempted. Today see's everything frozen and unwelcoming out there so I might sneak in a bit of modelling. The backlog is getting a bit alarming.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 14:32, TonyW said:

20210109-135308.jpg

Checking out the contents see's everything in perfect order. The decal sheet has an unfortunate layout as far as the TWA markings go, which made me smile

Hi Tony, just wanted to let you know that I have just nailed one of these at auction. Woohoo ‼️😎

I'm guessing it is the same basic kit with the different fuselage. 

I know you have your hands full right now, but is all well with the L-749?? 

I'm cruising home with the Heller GB now, just finishing touches to the Caravelle and I'll leave it at that. I threw my hat into the Gulf War GB though 🤪

But frankly, we're gonna need a Connie Group soon 🤞

• Like 1

Well done Rob, Constellations 'r us!

I've not looked too closely at mine as there's no chance of me building it at the moment. It looks quite a bit different to the earlier plane though. The difference in fuselage length is very distinctive and the squared off windows give it a different feel as well. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in at some point.

The L 749 has seen a bit of attention thrown its way. The badly mixed filler has been dug out and replaced and the raised panel lines on the wings have been reduced by about half in preparation for polishing. I'm confident of finishing it in time.

I've got a load of non model related stuff to deal with here and the weather isn't helping.   I'm not panicking about the finish line yet.... well, maybe a little bit.

• Like 3

http://www.michaelprophet.com/Connie/Connie.html

Settle down with a cuppa when you've got 10 or 15 minutes sometime, and have a read through this. 

He talks you through the various models, stretches and upgrades, portholes v. square windows, etc. 

And finishes with an excellent bunch of photos. 

I've referred to Michael Profit's archives before, with the Lockheed Twins and the Curtiss C46 and so on. Always found it very useful and well informed, and accessible to the non-expert 🤔

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony @TonyW. I've only just realised that you used T-cut on bare plastic. It certainly seems to bring up a good surface for painting. I had earlier thought you'd used it on paint. I might try it sometime. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Martin

On 2/2/2021 at 8:28 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Tony @TonyW. I've only just realised that you used T-cut on bare plastic. It certainly seems to bring up a good surface for painting. I had earlier thought you'd used it on paint. I might try it sometime. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Martin

It works very well if the plastic has a uniform look to it, if there are swirl marks, or filler, things don't always work out with the marks sometimes visible through the final finish. The shine under the S 'n J decides the level of gleam on the finished article. Keeping to the kit plastic also saves quite a bit of time with no undercoat or topcoat of paint to worry about. Time is something I'm running out of with this build, so I'm glad the plastic seems OK.

The Constellation moves slowly forwards, with the fuselage smoothed off, reprimed and top coated. The wing roots will need re-polishing to bring the shine back to the bare metal as some overspray got under the clingfilm I used for masking.

20210205-202459.jpg

20210207-114430.jpg

I've undercoated the fins this morning and top coats should be on later today. If that comes off I'll be adding decals to them tomorrow. I'm more than a bit nervous about that as the decals are old, matt and French. What could possibly go wrong?

I'll be working on the props and undercarriage while all this lot dries and as long as the decals behave, I'm confident this one will be in the Gallery in the week. That only leave a round half dozen nearly done other kits sat here. I'm a bit less confident about them, but fortune favours the brave and all that!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, TonyW said:

the decals are old, matt and French. What could possibly go wrong?

I never read that....

Good luck!

JR

• Like 1

Two steps forward...

Wings given a good polish. They will need another later, but I wanted instant gratification here. The upper fuselage was masked off and the belly of the beast got a buff up as well. 

20210207-164508.jpg

20210207-164925.jpg

One step back...

Trying a couple of decals that won't be used see's a problem looming. Curses.

20210207-162743.jpg

This could be serious. I'll be clear coating the decal sheet with a few coats of Auto Clear over this evening. That had better work as my options are somewhat limited after that.

I'm nearer to completion than I was this morning though, so I'm calling todays efforts a result.

• Like 1

Uh oh..... My Caravelle sheet benefited from a couple of coats of acrylic varnish - much improved, although I had to trim carefully as it slid off like carrier film. 

So fingers crossed for this..... It's a great looking scheme. 🤞

• Like 1

Last night saw the undercarriage get a bit of attention, along with some clean up on the props. A bit of black infill around the cockpit area got started. The outer tail surfaces got painted and the decal sheet got another coat of clear, ready for the morning...

20210207-220350.jpg

Morning brings the sunrise and I'm driven from my bed... Sorry about that, had a bit of a Stephen Stills moment! Anyway, back to the build...

The wing decals were trimmed and tried. Success!... Phew.

20210208-104350.jpg

The gloss varnish seems to hold everything together fine and the gloss finish helps hide what remains of the carrier film. An outer tail decal was added, to see if I had to trim each individual part or not. It went on without drama.

I also added black dots to the centres of the portholes on the fuselage to help with aligning the cheat line.

Bringing things right up to twenty minutes ago, here's the plane with the port side cheat applied.

20210208-111200.jpg

Nose and cockpit first. Fit was so so. A bit of blue paintwork will tidy things up . Placement was not without moment of terror though, as the decals, although tough enough with the clearcoats on them, were a bit stretchy. To add to the difficulties, they gripped a bit as well. The PAA badge under the tail stretched out of shape a bit and it's not perfect. The top blue cheat line is pretty straight viewed from the nose back but the lower line has a bit of a dip just after the wing trailing edge. I'm not sure if that's the decal stretching or Hellers printing. It's as good as I can get it. I'll shorten the decals when I do the other side, that might help.

I'll be making a circular template for the portholes. Black marker pen will give me a paint guide that I can then paint in. I had a sheet of black decal paper but trying it revealed it to be even more prone to exploding than the Heller one! The second porthole back from the cockpit is set lower than all the rest. I'm a bit worried it will look odd sat inside the lower blue cheatline. I may use artistic licence and add it level with the rest.

The kit came to me with the American flag decals for the centre fin missing. I'll have to do something about that as the fin looks very bare without them. I've got some printable decal paper somewhere or other. Time to find it I guess.

More later.

Tony.

• Like 8

A bit more chipping away at the Constellation...

I used a desk hole puncher to make a porthole template. Running a marker pen around the hole produced a slightly ragged edged circle on the cheat line white area. Not good enough.

Thinking that if clear coating the Heller decals worked, the same might be true of the black decal sheet I tried. I gave the sheet a couple of heavy coats of clear, followed by the rest of the morning on a radiator. Then I tried the hole puncher on the sheet and it worked just dandy. A row of crisp, black circles now run along between the blue stripes on the fuselage and I'm happy with the result. I fixed the second porthole level with its mate as setting it at the correct offset just looked like I had fitted it badly. It's wrong, but it looks right! The indent in the cheat line will be sorted once all the decals are in place.

I've also noticed the blue curve under the flight deck is out of line. I missed that when I was wrestling the multi part nose decals into place. A bit of careful paintwork should sort that though.

20210208-150636.jpg

All the fin decals are on now along with the pale blue Constellation flash under the rear entrance door. It hardly shows from above but any scale passengers would see it when boarding.

Everything needs drying time now. I want to crack on with it, but If I don't wait a bit I'll end up damaging it. This sort of thing has happened before. More haste, less speed. I'll take the opportunity to do a bit on the Arc instead.

• Like 9