Westland Whirlwind - Classic Airframes 1/48

I bought this on ebay earlier this year as 'part built' - it had been started but I guess the builder was expecting a 'shake and bake' and had given up.  It wasn't too bad to complete, but although it was the second release with the injected canopy it was evidently an early CA mould and a way from the Gosling and Hornet, the other CA models I've completed.  It still went together OK with the usual test fitting and some filler, although the fit was generally quite good.  

It's mostly from the box with just a stretched sprue antenna and the aerial mast moved to the canopy to suit this early production example.  I'm still puzzled how this worked - presumably when the canopy was opened, the antenna went slack.  I haven't found any photos of the early arrangement with the canopy open and on most photos the antenna is barely visible anyway. 

The decals looked nice on the sheet but some of them broke up easily, not least the fin flashes.  I managed to piece together the bits and then touch them up with paint.  One of the upper wing roundels totally disintegrated so they are from the spares box.  There is a little silvering even after a good coat or three of Kleer.  It's brush painted with Humbrol enamel.

Whirlwinds are some of the few aircraft regularly parked with their flaps down, presumably because the flaps and radiators were linked and the Peregrine engines suffered from overheating.  Even with the flaps up, the cooling vents in the upper wing surface didn't completely close so there's plenty of scope for scratch builders to work on this area.  That's a bit beyond my skill!

There's a photo of P6969 in the Warbird monograph looking very tatty and captioned that it was towards the end of 263 Squadron's use of the type, which was January 1944.  In fact it was lost on 8 February 1941 in a combat with an Ar 196. 

umz7z9fx_o.jpg

oDo716BR_o.jpg

Np3sY8Vu_o.jpg

HgABey3u_o.jpg

y7I4ybC8_o.jpg

TCRrG4Ob_o.jpg

• Like 20

Nice  build of a not so easy kit, I built one years ago as the Whirlwind is one of my favourites but it was not available in my preferred 1/32 scale, hopefully soon that will be rectified by SH.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have always admired this aircraft ,only ever built the airfix version. Looking at your fine example i feel the urge to find one and have a bash  Excellent model building. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bryanm said:

Thanks for the comments and 'likes'.  The CA kit is well worth a shot if you have a bit of patience and want a 1/48 Whirlwind.

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you as well!

• Like 1