Pz.Kpfw. V Panther Ausf. D - 1/72 Zvezda

PlaStix

On 30/12/2020 at 10:39, Longbow said:

Very nice finish !!

You need to do a tutorial/breakdown of you base/grass work ;)

Thank you very much, most kind. 

The base was one of the simplest I have done. I removed the glass and hardboard backing board from the frame. Then I replaced the base with some reasonable quality corrugated card which I glued in place with PVA glue. On top of this I glued a couple more pieces of the corrugated card which were cut to the same size as the inside of the display side of the frame - to build up the height. Then, about level with the top, I fitted a slightly smaller piece of card - so the Gaugemaster Grass Mat could be pushed in slightly lower than the side of the frame - this would hide the edge of the mat once in place. The last piece of card to be fitted was cut slightly bigger than the footprint of the Panther tank and this was glued in place on top of the other card with a smaller piece of card under the front end so that was on a slight angle. You can probably see in the top photos that I did it so it looks like it's going up a slight slope.

Once all the glue was fully set, I cut a piece of Gaugemaster Grass Mat (it's an old piece I had for a while but I think it's Summer Meadow) just a couple of mm bigger than the aperture of the frame. This was so that, when it was glued in place, I could push the edge of the mat below the edge of the frame.

Once the PVA glue under the mat was set, I then used a variety of tufts and grasses from the Army Painter range and pushed them into a variety of of locations across the surface of the mat.

The Panther was attached in place by using a small screw through from the underside of the card base and into a small hole I drilled into the underside of the Panther's hull.

Finally I used some Vallejo European Mud to create the areas the tracks had rolled over. I just pasted some on with the end of a small screwdriver behind the area of the tracks.

Next time I do something similar I will take some photos. I did this one fairly quickly to get it finished.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 11:15, Andy J said:

Wow what a stunning build....jeez that's brilliant thanks for showing this masterpiece love it 👌👏👍

Hi Andy. Hope you are keeping well and thank you very much. Most kind.

I hope you have a Very happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 11:39, Bullbasket said:

As usual, you've turned out a superb model. Sometimes, you hairy stick puts us airbrush users to shame. Excellent work Stix.

John.

Hi John. I hope you and yours are keeping well. Thank you very much for your comments. As always you are way too kind.

I hope you have a very Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 11:47, echen said:

Another Masterclass in building, painting and weathering. Really great work.

Hi echen. Hope you are keeping well. Thank you very much for your very kind comments. 

Happy New Year.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

On 30/12/2020 at 12:55, Homer said:

A fantastic piece of modelling, looks great on its simple base ,well done 👏 

Hi Homer. That's most kind of you to say, thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 30/12/2020 at 16:02, M3talpig said:

Beautiful work stix......................can i ask were you got your foliage from please ?

Thank you very much!! Most kind. The grass mat is from Gaugemaster (12mm Meadow Mat) and all the grasses and flower tufts are from the Army Painter range.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 30/12/2020 at 17:40, FrancisGL said:

Hi Stix,

This model is great, nobody would say that it is 1/72, very small for such a real finish, the result is very good, and the base is what it lacked,
Cheers, MC, HNY and TC :goodjob:
Francis.👍

Hi Francis. Hope you are keeping well. Thank you very much for your kind comments. Hope you had a good Christmas and Happy New Year too.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 30/12/2020 at 17:44, Nenad Ilijic said:

Wow, this is absolutely amazing!

Wonderful work!

Happy holidays!

Cheers,

Nenad

Hi Nenad and thank you very much for your very kind comments. And a belated Happy New Year to you!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 30/12/2020 at 18:46, diablo rsv said:

Excellent work again Stix! Your skills with a paintbrush never fails to impress me.

Wayne

Hi Wayne. Thank you, That's very kind of you to say. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 30/12/2020 at 19:43, edjbartos said:

Beautiful work Stix, absolutely beautiful, really enjoyed looking at the amazing detail that you have put into this build...

Ed

Hi Ed. Hope you are keeping well and thank you very much for your very kind comments.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 31/12/2020 at 02:48, gmoss said:

That turned out awesome Stix! The subtle weathering looks great - very convincing.

Thank you very much. That is very kind of you to say. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

On 31/12/2020 at 17:32, Vince1159 said:

She's a beauty Stix,very nice...

Hi Vince. Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

On 01/01/2021 at 09:13, Jasper dog said:

Hi Stix, great work and in such a small scale, particularly like the colours, looks just right.

And as others have said before the groundwork / grass is great, really effective, can we ask what you've used?

Looking forward to the Pzr III GB already. 

All the best for the new year

Darryl 

Hi Darryl. Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Sorry for the slow reply to your question. Then grass mat was from Gaugemaster - Summer Meadow - 12mm. I'm pretty sure this was the Summer version - the spring version is much lighter.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2021 at 09:44, keefr22 said:

That's a stunner Stix, excellent paint and weathering and a base that sets it off really nicely! I do like a good braille scale model, and that's a very, very good one!

Let's all hope for a happier New Year,

Keith

Hi Keith. Hope you are well. Thank you very much for you very kind comments. I hope you are having a good year so far.

On 01/01/2021 at 12:44, vytautas said:

Seconded. Fantastic job all around! 👍

Vytautas

Hi Vytautas and thank you too very much.

Kind regards,

Stix