The Bottisham Blues - My Take on Lou IV

Hello all;

Here's my take on Lou IV.  I've detailed a lot of the thought and decision-making process in the WIP thread, which can be found here;

In short though, I based my decision on using blue paint on three main arguments;

• Dana Bell's - @Dana Bell - review of the remaining original transparency showing what he reports as blue on Lou IV.  I assume Dana can tell the difference between blue and green 🙂
  • Michael Bowyer's contemporary notes of his observations that some 361st Mustangs had blue paint on them - this establishes that blue was used; assuming Michael could tell the difference between blue and green 🙂
  • Why not? Clearly using bright colours wasn't an issue, the nose was bright yellow!  I came to the belief that something I called the "go-faster stripe" effect came into play and that these young men painted their airplanes in a way that made them look cool.  Certainly the USAAF encouraged the moral boosting effect of nose art and other decoration, so why not blue?

Anyway on the the pics;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And some pics to illustrate the tonal quality compared to the black and white images;

spacer.png

spacer.png

And lastly, just for fun...

spacer.png

If you have the patience for it, there's even more detail available below.

Comments welcome, critique welcome too.

Cheers;

Mark.

• Like 51

Turned out great and completely plausible. The tones do match. Great job. One of the best ponies I've seen lately. 

The only downside perhaps is that your fun photo will become the definitive photo of the formation widely shared and completely misinterpreted. Nothing new there. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Superb job all round Mark,I had a failed attempt at this scheme a couple of years ago on Revells 1/32 kit,I was more annoyed at the 

failure because of the interest and input of a lot of folk(including Dana Bell),I was going for the 6th of June scheme with full stripes

but the subject of the "blue" inevitably cropped up,now I think  you've got this spot on I also think some form of blue was used to paint 

out the upper invasion stripes,again a superb job done here!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, noelh said:

The only downside perhaps is that your fun photo will become the definitive photo of the formation widely shared and completely misinterpreted. Nothing new there. 😂

That occurred to me too!  Hopefully the flaps being dropped on the model is sufficient that most people will spot the merge...   

7 hours ago, IanC said:

Superb -  'Lou IV' is finally settled!

I think that's unlikely as Team Green will always have its advocates  :)

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I was going for the 6th of June scheme with full stripes

I though about maybe doing something similar with three models; June 6th, early July and 26th July.

1 hour ago, ABeck said:

but now which decal maker dares to bring out a set with the complete

BOTTISHAM4

We can only hope!

Thanks everyone for the comments.  Cheers!

• Like 1

Looks great.  Nothing wrong with giving an American fighter a splash of colour whether it's historically accurate or not.  Fighter jocks are, after all, frequently the "Flash Harry" type and given the opportunity would definitely paint their kites up like sports cars.

• Thanks 1

Ah the 361st... I live down the road from the old Bottisham Airfield and was a member of the Bottisham Airfield Museum for a brief period, If you are ever travelling down the A14 towards Cambridge you will notice on the left hand side a row of trees that are cut in two by a road, for some reason when the runway was lifted, PSP I believe, a load of trees were planted in its place so the runway is still there in spirit just in plant form. You also cut through the old airfield driving on the A14 too. I had a 361st decal sheet with with three different P-51Ds on it and being the idiot I am I gave them away and now I am sad...... anyway love the model, that is one beautiful Mustang!

Edit: Thinking back, at the time I was a member of the museum a guy by the name of Steve Gotts was also a member, he wrote a book on the 361st whilst they were based at Bottisham. having searched the book on Amazon they are going for nearly £100! I really wish I had gotten the copy he was going to sell to me now as it had some pilot signatures in there too and he only want £30..... I am just going to go headbutt a wall...... really, really hard!

Marc

Edited by MarcNewitt
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Fighter jocks are, after all, frequently the "Flash Harry" type and given the opportunity would definitely paint their kites up like sports cars.

This became a large part of my thinking as to the “why?” Of it all.

Thanks for the comments guys, all the best and happy new year from 2021 here in Australia!

• Like 1