ABAT's Models for 2020

abat

What a crazy year for us all. Apart from staying at home painting the interior of our house and a weekly round of no-contact golf, I rediscoverd my passion for scale modelling and managed to tidy up and finish two long outstanding builds (Fairey Firefly and Westland Wessex) and complete a third (Auster Autocar). My fourth build, an RAN Sea Fury from HMAS Sydney is built and painted, but not yet weathered or assembled and so not included in this years list.

So here they are:

spacer.png

Auster J/5G Autocar in 1/72 scale. The aircraft served with RAN 723, 724 and 725 Squadrons operating out of Nowra from 1953 to around 1963. The model is a conversion from the AZ model Auster AOP.Mk.III. The air intakes and exhaust were scratch built and the rear of the canopy line modified from a square to tapered shape. I did however stop short of raising the rear fuselage and canopy so it's not 100% accurate but it's looking tidy enough for me. The markings were taken from my spares box.  

spacer.png

Fairey Firefly AS.5 (VX388) of 817 Squadron, HMAS Vengeance. Built from the Special Hobby 1/72 Fairey Firefly Mk.IV/V kit with Red Roof Model decals. This was a long drawn out build which commenced in 2017 but was only finally finished off this year. There is a work in progress thread here: 

spacer.png

Westland Wessex Mk.31A from 1965 with the earlier marking scheme. This one is from the Italeri 1/72 HAS.3 kit. I had already built a Mk.31B but really wanted one of the earlier configurations in my collection. There is some scratch-building of the nose, Doppler radar and conduits underneath along with some Eduard etch detailing the fuselage and cockpit. I did commence folding the rotors but in the end decided to leave them alone. This was another long build, originally commenced in 2016. I'm very pleased to have found the time and patience to finish it off this year. 

All the best to everyone for the new year. Andrew

• Like 10

6 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Very clean work Andrew and beautiful photos too👍 👍 👍 

19 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Lovely builds Andrew :thumbsup:

Thank you both very much. 

• Like 1