"How's that for a Slice of Fried Gold?" 1:72 Lancaster B.II

Dunny

Hi All,

I got a little weekday benchtime in (ooooh!), and I couldn't resist masking up for the underside colour:

20210111_184900.jpg

One of my neater masking efforts! 🤩 Following a base coat of Nato Black, I started mixing in small amounts of Interior Green to the thinned black to provide some tonal variation (top tip @bigbadbadge - thanks Chris!)

20210111_195059.jpg

It looks a bit stark on the photo but the effect works well under natural light. And here after unmasking:

20210111_195039.jpg

Next I'll be on to gloss coat and decalling, but that will wait until the weekend!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 10

Hi All,

I got a little weekday benchtime in (ooooh!), and I couldn't resist masking up for the underside colour:

20210111_184900.jpg

One of my neater masking efforts! 🤩 Following a base coat of Nato Black, I started mixing in small amounts of Interior Green to the thinned black to provide some tonal variation (top tip @bigbadbadge - thanks Chris!)

20210111_195059.jpg

It looks a bit stark in the photo but the effect works well under natural light. And here after unmasking:

20210111_195039.jpg

Next I'll be on to gloss coat and decalling, but that will wait until the weekend!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Duplicate post - please remove
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress Roger,  the black looks awesome,  glad it was of use and thanks for the mention fella. The unmasking is a big moment in this cracking build.

How did you wangle some weekday bench time ?

Chris

Thanks Chris - it's a much more subtle effect, as the Nato Black has a hint of green anyway. Wangled time due to meeting finished early at work 😉

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Hi All,

I've had a bit of a rollercoaster ride with this build in the last day or so, which is a real shame because up to this point it had been a blast! 🤬

First up I laid down a gloss coat for the decals:

20210115-145202.jpg

I then applied the decals, which went down nicely. Or so I thought...

20210115-174141.jpg

Sadly, it became apparent that the 'squadron codes and insignia' decals had silvered horribly. I should have known better and cut carefully around each individual element, but sadly did not. Worse was yet to come. As I went to apply a gloss coat over the wings all of the walk lines and the life raft marking lifted:

20210115-175632.jpg

After crying in my soup for 10 minutes or so I decided to mask and spray the affected items. Here's masked:

20210116-091620.jpg

And sprayed:

20210116-095007.jpg

As you can see I'd attempted to repair the squadron codes, which was all fine until I unmasked:

20210116-100814.jpg

After a little more soup dilution I carefully hand-painted the damaged section. I then applied another gloss coat, and applied Flory washes - I used black for the upper surfaces and grime for the sides and underside. Here's the state of play after the washes had been removed and a flat coat applied. You can also see that I've Krystal Kleered the dorsal escape hatches, along with the nose side windows which I forgot to mask (they got pushed out and binned) :poo:

20210116-133453.jpg

I'm going to call that a save. It's a real pity because the paint job was one of my crispest efforts to date, so to get dragged through a decal nightmare was a bit of a downer! Anyway, I'll push on to the finish line,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Jeff G said:

Wow, talk about a nasty experience, talk about patience. So glad you’re motivated to finish it. I think it will look amazing when all is said and done. 

Thanks Jeff - it has certainly not been a smooth ride!

Cheers,

Roger

1 minute ago, mark.au said:

I reckon you’ve made a great save there, now you have a good story to go with the fine model.

Thanks for the kind words Mark - I'm sure I'll laugh about it one day!

Cheers,

Roger

Hi All,

Another update - busy day today! After the flat coat had dried I started adding the many fiddly bits. First of all I turned my attention to the bomb bay.  I'm going to be modelling the following bomb load, which is 6 x 500lb SC bombs and 1 x 4000lb 'Cookie':

20210116-170949.jpg

Here's the bomb crutches fitted in the appropriate configuration:

20210116-143916.jpg

Next I put the turrets together - here they are after drybrushing:

20210116-161432.jpg

Once the glazing had been masked, sprayed and assembled I sprayed the exhaust staining onto the nacelles and wings:

20210116-180353.jpg

After that it was final fiddlies, rigging with Uschi line, and I'm calling her done! Here's a couple of teaser shots:

20210116-174738.jpg

20210116-175048.jpg

I'll take some more shots tomorrow and post over in RFI,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Phwoarrrre she is gorgeous,  glad you were able to save it and what a recovery.  Great work fella you have a cracker there.

Chris 

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words! What should have been a mojo-builder ended up the opposite - anyway, glad to get the first one over the line for 2021,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words! What should have been a mojo-builder ended up the opposite - anyway, glad to get the first one over the line for 2021,

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger

Yes it's a shame that it went that way  but on the bright side   you overcame it and ended up with a very impressive model, and so you can be rightly chuffed mate. Now, what's next, will it be something Fulmary???

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger

Yes it's a shame that it went that way  but on the bright side   you overcame it and ended up with a very impressive model, and so you can be rightly chuffed mate. Now, what's next, will it be something Fulmary???

Chris

Fulmary is definitely on the agenda, but I might just noodle around with the Bomber Resupply stuff for a while. I think the Fulmar might prove challenging, from what I've read about the cockpit fit...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Fulmary is definitely on the agenda, but I might just noodle around with the Bomber Resupply stuff for a while. I think the Fulmar might prove challenging, from what I've read about the cockpit fit...

Oh yes the resupply set, I completely forgot about that, looking forward to see that cone together and cracking diorama emerge.

I think you are right re the Fulmar.

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Roger

I'm really pleased that you recovered the Lancaster,

Shame about the decals but you cant tell now that they were a a pain ...

It does look awfully good you know 👍

Ian

Thanks for the kind words Ian - much appreciated! Really looking forward to seeing yours take shape,

Cheers,

Roger

44 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Superb modelling, and a great save after the decal problems.

Not a word I use often, but "awesome!"

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks for the kind words Mark - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mark.au said:

That looks great, well done on a superb result.

Thanks Mark - much appreciated!

Just caught up with the whole thread. A very nice build, loved the cowlings and exhaust ring treatment. The camouflage scheme looks great too, the green/brown edges are really smooth and the colours look very true to contemporary colour photos..

FWIW I always put a layer of wet Humbrol DecalFix under my decals, and it seems to eliminate silvering, even on surfaces that are "less than glossy".

The bomber supply set looks comprehensive, would love to see you build that - are there plans for a WIP? Presumably in vehicles?? I'll have to take a look!

Regarsd,

Adrian

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just caught up with the whole thread. A very nice build, loved the cowlings and exhaust ring treatment. The camouflage scheme looks great too, the green/brown edges are really smooth and the colours look very true to contemporary colour photos..

FWIW I always put a layer of wet Humbrol DecalFix under my decals, and it seems to eliminate silvering, even on surfaces that are "less than glossy".

The bomber supply set looks comprehensive, would love to see you build that - are there plans for a WIP? Presumably in vehicles?? I'll have to take a look!

Regarsd,

Adrian

Adrian,

Many thanks for the kind words - much appreciated! I may have to give the DecalFix a go, although I have not suffered the problem before to such an extent. I'm going to start playing with the resupply set today as some light relief - might sneak a cheeky bomb trolley onto this thread? Too much? 😉

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1